What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Fall 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, not  today; but last week in Bardstown, I couldn't pass up the bargain on a 'handle' of Evan Williams Black Label.

I always have one on hand to season my palate, and to make mixed drinx for folx who visit.   ...And, I'll occasionally pour myself an easy-drinker-neat; and, enjoy it very well... every time... so consistent!  ?

Up here in Michigan (where nothing is EVER 'on sale') it's over $10 more than the sale price at Krogers in B'town, so I saved the sawbuck.  :)

• I like it 3

Four Roses Small Batch. I really enjoy the 4R Single Barrel, so I figured I would take the small batch out for a spin. Waiting for the frost on the pumpkin to crack it open.

I picked up some Evan Williams BIB at the grocery store.  When everything is covered in snow and ice, I'll be glad to have a few of these in the closet.

• I like it 3

Our largest local LS has had just one leftover WTKS tail feather bottle on the shelf along with the newer bottles for at least a couple weeks now.  I noticed that the tail feather bottle was no longer available anywhere else I’ve been since then.  Back in that LS today, I was surprised to see that last tail feather bottle still sitting on the shelf.  It went home with me at $49.99.  Not a huge WT guy (do have some 101 & RB, though) - this is my first bottle of KS, labeled as bottled in 2015?

• I like it 1

I haven't bought it yet but the ABC website has Skrewball 50 ml for $2.99 and a coming soon tag.  I am so there when it hits the shelves.  :) The 750's are in stock ($30.89) but I'm not buying the whole damned bottle in case it is a little too over the top.

1 hour ago, DCFan said:

I haven't bought it yet but the ABC website has Skrewball 50 ml for $2.99 and a coming soon tag.  I am so there when it hits the shelves.  :) The 750's are in stock ($30.89) but I'm not buying the whole damned bottle in case it is a little too over the top.

Not gonna take one for the team Tom?  ;)

Biba! Joe 

1 hour ago, DCFan said:

That price would turn me around and send me back out the door pronto.    ...Even if this was something I'd pour often enough to want a whole 750.

Michigan charges over $25 (State Minimum) for that Skrewball, and that's over-priced to me... for what it is.    ? 

My thinking is along the lines of a comparison between Buffalo Trace for about the same price and that Skrewball.   Easy choice.

Of course, if this is something you really do like, and expect to pour and enjoy on a regular basis, your decision may well be different than mine.

• I like it 2

Jos. Magnus Cigar Blend Batch 14!!!! 

Got it for a friend but feel good about my chances of getting a sample. Cant wait to try this one.

• I like it 4

21 hours ago, DEH1212 said:

Old Grandad 114, have a feeling this one will be next on the craze list...

I think it had it's moment in the sun a couple years ago, unless of course the rumor mill starts churning again.....

I was out and about yesterday taking care of a couple of errands. I unexpectedly finished up with the errands very early, and decided to (what else?:P) stop by a store to catch up with the manager and see if they had anything new. Nothing new, but they still had MMCS on sale for $39.99. In all good conscious, I just couldn’t pass it up again. One came home with me.

When I’m on vacation or have a day off, I try and stop in at a local store or two to check things out. One thing I’ve noticed is that on weekdays, there always seems to be a sales rep or two taking care of business. Yesterday there were three at this store. Yes, they all knew me from seeing me at stores, and from various charity and tasting events I’ve been too. All these guys also know that I’m part of a bourbon website and are aware that I know just a little bit about bourbon and the spirits industry. It’s nice when they don’t talk s**t and try to pull the wool over my eyes. Needless to say, it was kind of a fun morning with some interesting conversations.;)

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

Grabbed a bottle of my local's RRSiB pick from this year.  I'll need a few pours and a few weeks to ponder going deep on this one again this year.   

I was back in the Tarheel state a couple weeks ago.  Was curious to note that the bottom shelf hoarde of Virgin Bourbon had both NAS and 7-year versions mixed in together. 

Yes, absolutely.  I dutifully pulled out four more VB7s, neatly packed in my luggage for the return trip to New England.  $60 well-spent!! 

I also read in the 65th tribute by Rare Bird that the JTS Brown distillery is the birthplace of our beloved gobble.  That made me like them both even more, some how. 

I'll need another trip to Eugene OR to replace this dwindling JTSB BIB

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

Picked this one up from the clearance shelf for just under $30 today.   Figured I’d try something new to me. 

77285D5E-65C6-412B-B712-2C9E25522169.jpeg

That’s a good one.

theres a store around here that has the whole set for 90+ tax.  

On 9/24/2019 at 8:20 AM, fishnbowljoe said:

Not gonna take one for the team Tom?  ;)

Biba! Joe 

Nope!  I did my duty with the Evan Williams Peach so it's up to someone else to step up with Skrewball.  :) 

• I like it 1

Elijah Craig Small Batch 11 yr. K&L store pick ordered online this morning.  I'm almost done with an older store pick of theirs which is absolutely delicious so I figured I'd better get a backup.  I've got to say, K&L does a great job with their picks traveling out to the Heaven Hill distillery to sample the barrels.  Living in the Bay Area, I'm fortunate to have access to their inventory...

• I like it 2

Was in the city today and stopped into Astor, left with their 10 year Elijah Craig store pick. Asked one of the clerks why they didn't have a custom label (has a little bar code that says "Astor 10yr), and he said that it wasn't legal for NYS liquor stores to do custom labels. Didn't know that. Looking forward to cracking it soon...maybe tonight?

IMG_2046.JPG

9 minutes ago, mal00768 said:

Technically I purchased this yesterday  after a Glenmorangie tasting but whatevs.

5FDCCDAE-A821-46EC-A5F4-5E2F48747F6C.jpeg

It's a good 'un.  Next time at Whiskey Wednesday, come on up and say "hi!".   Got several on SB.com that are L&K folx.   ?

• I like it 2

On 9/25/2019 at 11:13 AM, Paddy said:

Had a productive stop at the mongers...

4C204261-895E-4068-BCD7-F2615977EEFD.jpeg

Boom!

Good work there. The Cult smiles upon you.

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.