What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Fall 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, FasterHorses said:

What are they asking for blantons over there these days. Hate that its all but disappeared

We are ABC state controlled so pricing is fixed. $59.99 I believe - when you can find it (never).  

1 minute ago, GoCubs85 said:

We are ABC state controlled so pricing is fixed. $59.99 I believe - when you can find it (never).  

I also forgot they also got a case of FRSiB which I picked up a bottle of for like $42.  Prob shoulda grabbed more of that.

EWBiB this month is $13.95!

3 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

Got the call from my LS that my Fall goodies were ready....

675EC493-4919-4148-B7B9-D391AED4DC61.jpeg.cf11735627b62e5ae372310257fe39a8.jpeg

One of these is not like the others...

But in all seriousness, nice haul, good to see not all LS have stopped rewarding long time customers.

• I like it 1

16 minutes ago, Jazz June said:

One of these is not like the others...

But in all seriousness, nice haul, good to see not all LS have stopped rewarding long time customers.

Thanks - all at MSRP too

• I like it 2

19 hours ago, NOLEimit said:

Does anyone have insight into this batch?  Picked up a family size last weekend, and it is a tasty one.  Also, has Binnys ticked off Buffalo Trace?  Historically, they are always swimming in BT.  Last few months it has been pretty much non existant.

There’s been a few (more) questions or concerns about the availability of products from BT lately. Well, y’all have to remember that BT is in the middle of a $1.2 billion expansion.  I’d venture a guess that their normal summer shutdown probably lasted longer than expected. They had a lot to deal with. New boilers, new cooling towers, fermenters,  moving a bottling line, etc... etc... etc. I’m pretty sure that as things at the distillery start getting back to (the new) normal, the availability of some of their products will start to return to more normal levels. And yes, I know that we might still be in, or are just coming out of a bourbon boom. I’m also fully aware that there ain’t no such thing as normal in the bourbon/liquor industry. <_<

On another note, over the last 12 years I’ve had quite a number of private selection bottlings of BT. (Not as many as Vosgar though. ;)) One of the better ones I had was from Binny’s. It was a number of years ago, and was a blending of 13 barrels. It was purty darned good. I bought one and liked it so much that on a couple of subsequent trips to Binny’s, I bought more. For those interested, it’s 93 miles from my driveway to Binny’s South Loop store. :P  Just sayin’.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

47 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Holy smokes @Supercharger, where did you find it? Looks to be batch #14? Hope you didn't have to over-pay for it? 

That's a great bottle shot too. ?

Cheers,

Nancy

I’m sure I paid the slight Binnys premium. They charged $159. I had heard how fond you were of your creation that I had to. There were only three bottles and it was limit 1, so I didn’t hesitate. 

It is a very special one for sure!

And, yes, Batch 14. 

Edited by Supercharger

3 minutes ago, Supercharger said:

I’m sure I paid the slight Binnys premium. They charged $159. I had heard how fond you were of your creation that I had to. There were only three bottles and it was limit 1, so I didn’t hesitate. 

It is a very special one for sure!

And, yes, Batch 14. 

@Supercharger, well, I guess $159 isn't too bad as it goes. I've seen it out there for $200, $300, even $400+, which I think is terrible. What some of these retail stores charge is absolutely shameful. It's highway robbery really. I mean, I'm very proud of my work, but $300 or $400+ for Cigar Blend is just absurd.

I've paid around $400+ for some nearly 60 year old vintage Armagnacs before, and once I even paid $1200 for an 1892 vintage Armagnac. But for a Bourbon that has 13 to 20 year old components, er.....no thanks. 

At any rate, I digress. I hope you enjoy CB batch #14! It's one of my personal favorites. We just bottled batches 15 - 18 this week. 

Cheers,

Nancy

• I like it 3

33 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

@Supercharger, well, I guess $159 isn't too bad as it goes. I've seen it out there for $200, $300, even $400+, which I think is terrible. What some of these retail stores charge is absolutely shameful. It's highway robbery really. I mean, I'm very proud of my work, but $300 or $400+ for Cigar Blend is just absurd.

I've paid around $400+ for some nearly 60 year old vintage Armagnacs before, and once I even paid $1200 for an 1892 vintage Armagnac. But for a Bourbon that has 13 to 20 year old components, er.....no thanks. 

At any rate, I digress. I hope you enjoy CB batch #14! It's one of my personal favorites. We just bottled batches 15 - 18 this week. 

Cheers,

Nancy

Nancy.. Is $149 plus tax. Close to MSRP or is that after a bit of a markup?  I only ask because thats where i bought it and i thought that was pretty close..your comment  that $159 isnt too bad made me wonder where we should/could expect it to be priced. 

Edited by FasterHorses
  • I like it 1

Picked up a Little Book 3 today.  Because I'm a sucker for Beam and it was available, no chasing or LE hoops to jump through.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Cheers,

Nancy

I think I have batch One?

I remember it was a mail order item from a store in DC back before anyone cared.

Luckily I had the sense to recognize something good.

The link to purchase online is long gone from J.A.M. website and it seems as though I may never get a replacement.

Probably why I’m so conservative with my bottle. :)

This stuff is delish!

Great work Nancy!

077ADACC-A376-44BE-BED3-DFEFDF7D6591.jpeg

• I like it 3

On 11/12/2019 at 6:37 PM, FasterHorses said:

Man, I wouldnt  have been more surprised if i woke up with my face sewn to the carpet.

Haha. Tis the season to be Mary. ?

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Cheers,

Nancy

A year or two back I got an email from a store that had one for $150 or so. I didn't know what it was at the time so I waffled, and as soon as I did a bit more digging it had already sold. Haven't seen one since. Would really love to try it though.

I too would pay more for Armagnac than bourbon too, I think generally you get more for your money when it gets over $100. There aren't many bourbons that I feel are genuinely worth more than $150 or so. That said, there's some awesome Armagnac in the $70-120 range so I don't usually spend more than that either. But yeah, an Armagnac from the 1800's really puts things in perspective!

18 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

A year or two back I got an email from a store that had one for $150 or so. I didn't know what it was at the time so I waffled, and as soon as I did a bit more digging it had already sold. Haven't seen one since. Would really love to try it though.

I too would pay more for Armagnac than bourbon too, I think generally you get more for your money when it gets over $100. There aren't many bourbons that I feel are genuinely worth more than $150 or so. That said, there's some awesome Armagnac in the $70-120 range so I don't usually spend more than that either. But yeah, an Armagnac from the 1800's really puts things in perspective!

21 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Cheers,

Nancy

CB goes for $170 RETAIL in my area, and that's at Total Wine. Small stores charge a premium, IF they can get it. I will hopefully be picking up a new bottle tonight and hopefully it won't hurt TOO much

• I like it 1

My son picked up a couple of bottles of OF1910 in Redondo Beach.  The really good news is that one will be making the trip home for Thanksgiving!

• I like it 2

23 hours ago, 0895 said:

I think I have batch One?

I remember it was a mail order item from a store in DC back before anyone cared.

Luckily I had the sense to recognize something good.

The link to purchase online is long gone from J.A.M. website and it seems as though I may never get a replacement.

Probably why I’m so conservative with my bottle. :)

This stuff is delish!

Great work Nancy!

077ADACC-A376-44BE-BED3-DFEFDF7D6591.jpeg

@0895, WOW, you have batch #1??? Hang onto that one. I took a few drops from the original Magnus bourbon bottle from 1892 that's been passed down in the family to Jimmy Turner, who is Joseph Magnus's great great grandson. I still have about 50 mL of that juice that I keep downstairs in my home lab, and I wanted to "christen" the first batch of Cigar Blend for good luck with a little of it. Not that there's enough of it to taste in batch #1 of course, but a few meager molecules might have made their way into your bottle. ?

@kiltedchef, great to see you on here, and welcome! I know we've chatted via Instagram, but a big welcome to this forum of Bourbon lovers. FYI, 3 more batches were just bottled last week, so you might be able to find it around Rockland. As an aside, my twin sister used to live there. 

@EarthQuake, I'm absolutely on board with you about generally not paying over $150 for any Bourbon out there. As much as I love Bourbon, it has to be pretty spectacular for me to shell out that kind of dough. I agree with you that for the money, you generally get a better deal on a vintage Armagnacs. 

@FasterHorses, $150 is the MSRP, so if you found it at $149, that's fantastic. I can't remember where exactly, but I thought I saw it on sale somewhere for about $135 in the past year. 

At any rate, as I'm preparing dinner, I'm sipping on a Cigar Blend batch #17 cask sample taken on October 9th. This came from Armagnac barrel #2, which was a freshly dumped 400 L barrel. 

Cheers,

Nancy

IMG_3007.jpg

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 9

It’s a very good. It’s definitely going in to the group of whiskeys that I’ll ration they’re so good. 

Today, I decided to finally grab a couple of these. I’d seen a large stock for a while but they’ve finally started dwindling. 375ml Rendezvous from 2013. 

58426E12-BE5C-435C-B4FC-E9286A76CF25.jpeg

• I like it 3

20 minutes ago, Ckh said:

New Riff, Krogers for $35., excellent. 

I love supporting these new operations that do it RIGHT (sorry for yelling!!); just bought a Peerless Bourbon for $74...looking forward to it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.