What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Fall 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Picked up a GTS. That’s my first BTAC of the year, and the way things are these days it might be my only, although I still have a few other things that may come through. $119 OTD 

• I like it 5

Picked up my lottery win tonight. First time winning my county’s lottery and first face Pappy I’ll be able to drink. $130 OTD.
IMG_3787.jpg

• I like it 16

Picked up my lottery win tonight. First time winning my county’s lottery and first face Pappy I’ll be able to drink. $130 OTD.
IMG_3787.thumb.jpg.87bb6848d3a74cc482a9fa27ed419cfc.jpg

That is awesome. Enjoy!
  • I like it 1

11 hours ago, marshall9779 said:

IMG_3787.jpg

Congrats, enjoy!

• I like it 1

Well apparently on Flaviar I'm able to purchase EH Taylor Small Batch ($49.99) and HW MWD ($165).  EH Taylor is a pretty good deal.  And since I can't snag either in NC and they actually ship to NC I went ahead and hit the purchase button.  Got free shipping by doing a 3 month trial of their membership so I've also got 3 1.5oz tasters coming in a Welcome Box (will prob just cancel so no big deal but he, free shipping).

4 hours ago, GoCubs85 said:

HW MWD ($165)

Ouch, but at least you know the juice is excellent.

I made a questionable purchase myself today, really hope this is worth the price tag.

IMG_20191204_163218.jpg

8 minutes ago, Kane said:

I made a questionable purchase myself today, really hope this is worth the price tag.

IMG_20191204_163218.jpg

I figure i prob saved a few bucks on shipping as well as the EH Taylor.  Also, I was already going to have to spend $99.99 (NC Pricing) on it anyways...so at worst I'm losing $65 because I for sure would have picked it up for $99.  Honestly I'm probably never going to see this stuff here on the shelf and would have a hard time finding it on a random trip...so figured what the heck.

Just now, GoCubs85 said:

I figure i prob saved a few bucks on shipping as well as the EH Taylor.  Also, I was already going to have to spend $99.99 (NC Pricing) on it anyways...so at worst I'm losing $65 because I for sure would have picked it up for $99.  Honestly I'm probably never going to see this stuff here on the shelf and would have a hard time finding it on a random trip...so figured what the heck.

How much was the Magnus?

17 minutes ago, GoCubs85 said:

How much was the Magnus?

I paid ~$90 which is the normal going price unless you're shopping at a warehouse chain. But what I really wanted was a WT RR pick or a Baker's, and they had neither. I took a gamble on this one, and paying x2 of what I intended is hard to swallow.

42 minutes ago, Kane said:

IMG_20191204_163218.jpg

I was a slow adopter to the Joseph Magnus-- but after almost 2 years re-opened the bottle to find it very "Italian"-- in regard to subtle amari-like notes which are uncommon in bourbon. The ABV is spot on as well. I enjoyed a 50mL travel bottle on Lafayette Street/NYC earlier today.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

I was a slow adopter to the Joseph Magnus-- but after almost 2 years re-opened the bottle to find it very "Italian"-- in regard to subtle amari-like notes which are uncommon in bourbon. The ABV is spot on as well. I enjoyed a 50mL travel bottle on Lafayette Street/NYC earlier today.

Having my first pour now. I'm not an expert on amari in particular, but I think I understand what you mean. It's very dry and bitter, with loads of clove almost numbing the tongue, all qualities that remind me of the odd digestif I've had here and there. Not paying for my $90 for the time being, but certainly interesting. Also it tastes nothing like MGP.

57 minutes ago, Kane said:

Having my first pour now. I'm not an expert on amari in particular, but I think I understand what you mean. It's very dry and bitter, with loads of clove almost numbing the tongue, all qualities that remind me of the odd digestif I've had here and there. Not paying for my $90 for the time being, but certainly interesting. Also it tastes nothing like MGP.

I get distinct well-matured George Dickel notes although the label states otherwise. 

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

I get distinct well-matured George Dickel notes although the label states otherwise. 

They do have Dickel barrels there so it's possible.

24 minutes ago, Kane said:

Dickel barrels where?

At magnus . They do dickel single barrel picks, but I’ve never seen them use in anything but the single barrel picks.

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, AndyD said:

At magnus . They do dickel single barrel picks, but I’ve never seen them use in anything but the single barrel picks.

So youre saying tMagnus does more dickel single barrels than MGP?

54 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

So youre saying tMagnus does more dickel single barrels than MGP?

no, only that Magnus does have dickel barrels and definitely uses them for their sib private selections.  Not sure if they use them for their other blends.  

most private barrels I’ve seen are mgp.  My local group is doing a selection next week and all samples are 13yr mgp.

• I like it 1

Nothing.  I worked from home today and went to get my car wash during lunch.  While I was waiting I considered going to the liquor store as well, but ya know what?  I just didn't want to.  I just don't enjoy it anymore; it's become an errand and a hassle.  Bourbon zen.

• I like it 2

Not a purchase, but I was gifted a Kentucky Owl Batch 8 and a KO Confiscated today. A nice surprise and I look forward to trying them as these are ones I wasn't willing to pay for myself.

• I like it 2

Couldn’t resist any longer...

The new bottle is way sexy!
DE28E91B-88EA-4EBA-BB2F-2452A0192342.thumb.jpeg.fef62f1009a021d20bba143371052cf6.jpeg

Like to hear how it compares to the standard bottle.
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.