What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Fall 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Drinking a couple oz of EH Taylor small batch.  It was a long weekend.  Sad when I have to go back to work to relax :)

• I like it 2

Camp Nelson F. One of two barrel picks I was lucky enough to participate in. Takes me right back to the Rick house. . . 
B845E433-20F3-4998-8B73-0F17A76C5F80.thumb.jpeg.bfa2d91fa67f577ec1752b84ebdbb6f3.jpeg

Very cool, some great color on that and I’m digging the new labels. Does it include barreled and bottles date now?

I’m also having a Turkey night.

Happy Turkey day to all my friends from the great white North, hope you guys had a good holiday weekend and drank plenty of Turkey.

IMG_8269.jpg
  • I like it 1

Enjoying this with a stellar performance by the Nats tonight. A little better the second go-round.
IMG_3469.JPG

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, PowderKeg said:

Yes, but to be accurate it oughta be called Big Loser.

Ah, it's not THAT bad.  I have at least six others that are worse sitting on the shelf.  Next to it.

TONIGHT!  Nats 8 Cards 1.  I think Howie Kendricks went 3 for 4 with 3 doubles (sure making up for the between-the-legs a couple days ago), and Tony TWO BAGS Rendon got a double, too.  7 of the Nats' 8 runs were scored with 2 outs.  I sure hope they keep it up.  WHY?  Because I opened a JB B "8 Year" 86 proof last week to compare to a Bookers bottled about the same time (and YES!! the watered down Bookers tastes A LOT like the JBB), and I intend on finishing this 750 ALL BY MYSELF because I HAPPY, not because I need to drown my sorrows.

EDIT - Upon thinking about it, "drowning sorrows" wouldn't be all that bad, either.B)

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 2

20191014_215856.thumb.jpg.11492d2e5ff8a8368ae3c11e00c616c0.jpg

Yeah also had a pour from this batch, really not digging it, I think I’m done with ECBP. So great on paper but seems to taste like saw dust and ethanol.

4 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Yeah also had a pour from this batch, really not digging it, I think I’m done with ECBP. So great on paper but seems to taste like saw dust and ethanol.

It's definitely an 'in the mood' pour for me. Sometimes it's hot, too oaky, and astringent. But when it hits the spot, it absolutely sings. 

Tonight it was stuck in the middle. 

• I like it 1

It's definitely an 'in the mood' pour for me. Sometimes it's hot, too oaky, and astringent. But when it hits the spot, it absolutely sings. 
Tonight it was stuck in the middle. 

Ha keep it for another night when it’s like Sinatra, Sammy, Bishop and Dean at the Sands.

5 hours ago, Phil T said:

A nice pour of WT 101 to wind down the day.

You and me both!

3 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I opened a JB B "8 Year" 86 proof last week to compare to a Bookers bottled about the same time (and YES!! the watered down Bookers tastes A LOT like the JBB)

You just gave me the idea to cut the more peanut-brittley bottles of Booker's with JBB instead of water to get a bit of cherry balance in there. 

Damn!

17 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Very cool, some great color on that and I’m digging the new labels. Does it include barreled and bottles date now?

Yes, I will snap a picture of the new rear label tonight.

• I like it 1

I’ve been in a bottle killing mode lately. ? I decided to take a break from that today. Plain old ER is in the glass, and it’s tasting purty darned good ^_^

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

Well in the vein of "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning" I was at Blackjack Liquors in Radcliff KY to day doing a barrel pick of Woodford Reserve.  They started us with the regular Woodford to get a baseline and then we did 3 samples, all between 117 - 122 proof.  The rep from Woodford also brought along a bottle of their new wheat whiskey, which we got to try.  I really liked it, a lot more than the Bernheim.

WOODFORD PICK.jpeg

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Well in the vein of "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning" I was at Blackjack Liquors in Radcliff KY to day doing a barrel pick of Woodford Reserve.  They started us with the regular Woodford to get a baseline and then we did 3 samples, all between 117 - 122 proof.  The rep from Woodford also brought along a bottle of their new wheat whiskey, which we got to try.  I really liked it, a lot more than the Bernheim.

WOODFORD PICK.jpeg

Is your barrel pick standard WR or double oaked? I've had the DO (not really a fan), but never a private select. I've heard they can have a lot of variance. I've also never had a pick of WR. Actually the only barrel pick from any B-F is a JDSiBBP, and it's pretty fantastic. 

15 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

Is your barrel pick standard WR or double oaked? I've had the DO (not really a fan), but never a private select. I've heard they can have a lot of variance. I've also never had a pick of WR. Actually the only barrel pick from any B-F is a JDSiBBP, and it's pretty fantastic. 

It's not the DO.  According to the rep Chris Morris takes two barrels and combines them to a taste profile that he likes and you pick off of that, at BP and then it is proofed down to 90.2 for bottling.  All three samples were very similar to the regular WR.  I told the rep I wish they would do them at BP.

A friend had lost his wife to cancer a few days ago, and to give him a little pick-me-up I told him at the funeral parlor I'd stop by his home with a couple nice Bourbons to raise in her honor after she was safely away on that final endless journey.   So today I took a bottle of Old Fitz BIB (11-year) and a bottle of a particularly smooth and sweet EWSB that I got at the gift shop in L'ville about 5-years ago (A Jockey Club pick).   Between he and I and his son and son-in-law we put a major dent in both.    A good day, and a good use of some good bottles, in honor of the passing of a very nice lady.

• I like it 18

Sitting in a hotel and lamenting that my schedule won't allow me to bring home any bottles (no time to check a bag).  Drowning my sorrow in some JB white label - which I haven't had in a long while.  No, it isn't blowing my hair back - but I'll admit it is better than I recall it being (and hope that when I get home and pour something else, I'll appreciate it all the more!)  

• I like it 1

14 minutes ago, Postal Grunt said:

I kept Happy Hour at Casa de PG simple, 3 oz of Weller SR.

You DRANK three ounces of W12?  Without mixing in any WSR?  What kind of freak ARE you??:D

10 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

You DRANK three ounces of W12?  Without mixing in any WSR?  What kind of freak ARE you??:D

Harry, your eyesight must be troubling you after the Nats win, that was 3 oz of WSR. I haven't seen W12 on the shelves here in the KC area for more than two years.

18 hours ago, GaryT said:

Sitting in a hotel and lamenting that my schedule won't allow me to bring home any bottles (no time to check a bag).  Drowning my sorrow in some JB white label - which I haven't had in a long while.  No, it isn't blowing my hair back - but I'll admit it is better than I recall it being (and hope that when I get home and pour something else, I'll appreciate it all the more!)  

JB White Label was the only bourbon I found while in China for two weeks a few years ago and I didn't find it until the last day. On that night, out of a wine glass, it tasted amazing.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.