What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Fall 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

John J Bowman neat. Bought 4 or 5 years ago.  Been open a while and air exposure has done wonders for it. Wish I had a dozen more.

• I like it 3

Currently WTRB, previously New Riff SB, next....its early on a Friday, anything can happen but I’m heavily leaning towards a rye. Baby Saz or OF or Pikesville.

Change of heart/mind/palate. Went for 1792 SB instead of the rye while playing a little Golden Tee and pinball in the man cave.

I started with some regular Blanton’s and then some Gold from ‘17.  I then uncorked some SFTB. Let’s just say I’m having a fun bourbon journey tonight!

B63C6133-32D2-491E-84F1-495D7C21A248.jpeg

• I like it 12

Still channeling my brother Paul and drinking the bottles I don't like for the overall health of the herd.

Last week I killed a bottle of OF 1910 that I'm not crazy about. This week I'm working on my last bottle of it. A little splash of 1920 improves it.

I've also been working on an older batch of Stagg Jr. Not because it's bad! I'm channeling Joe and am giving this one the bottle kill treatment. It's quite excellent.

I've also been working on a WFE 5yr (Willett's own distillate) that has way too much of that Willett cinnamon bomb thing going. This one gets blended with EWBIB to knock down the cinnamon.    

• I like it 4

I started with some regular Blanton’s and then some Gold from ‘17.  I then uncorked some SFTB. Let’s just say I’m having a fun bourbon journey tonight!
B63C6133-32D2-491E-84F1-495D7C21A248.thumb.jpeg.cd8b881aa74772d3484485068a1a6fde.jpeg

Very nice lineup you got there. The Gold is really nice and SFTB is really something special.

Earlier, I finished off a 4R PS. Hail. 

Now working on a ECNAS PS. Pretty good, a little too much earthy tones for me. 

Cheers

Picked up an Old Carter French Oak this morning and cracked it in the store to give the guys a taste. Very sweet on the nose, with what I can describe as “balanced and even” on the palate. I’ll have to give it a better go tonight to get a deeper opinion. 

Cracked open a 1782HR for the start of the Kansas race, debating what to go for now that stage 2 has ended....

15 minutes ago, parksmart said:

Nice!  So how is it?

EW BIB is definitely better, but for <$15 not a horrible sipper...

JvW

Me and a couple neighbors killed off the last (almost) half-bottle of one of an early edition of the KCSB 120 I had been saving for a gathering of such as this (both dudes are high-proof Bourbon guys... me too, I guess).   

Those old screw-cap ones were a little better balanced (to my taste buddies, at least) than the more recent ones, though there ain't much wrong with the newer ones.

All of us enjoyed the Bourbon, as well as the conversation, much of which probably fell into the category of bullsh_t; but, these two (father and son) are moving away and won't be sharing such times with me again, I imagine.

• I like it 2

4RPS OBSO.

OBSO is a recipe I personally really enjoy. This PS OBSO has taken a 1/2 bottle for me to find common ground. I have to add MUCH more water than I expected to tame this beast which is uncommon for a 4RPS in my experience. When doing a barrel selection I like barrels that are enjoyable at or near their barrel proof. I guess hats off to the selection committee on this one that they had the patience to dilute it enough to find its sweet spot, and when its on it the tasting notes listed are quite accurate. I doubt I would have had that patience and would have kicked that barrel to the curb after the first taste.

This has caused me to revisit my philosophy on barrel selection. If the bottle is to be at or near barrel proof then it needs to be a home run at that strength and thats always been my take, if instead the bottle will be cut significantly then enough water needs to be added to see if/how it shines at that proof point, even if its a bit out of whack at barrel proof. Given the opportunity in the future I may dig a bit deeper to find a hidden gem that may not reveal all its charms at full strength.

I have another bottle from this barrel so its good to have learned how to enjoy it, most importantly that I WILL enjoy it!! It was also instructive in terms of its evolution as I proofed it down in greater degrees with each pour.

I wouldn't have voted for this one as I like my 4R to shine at a higher proof but given that a store picked it and maybe they erred toward a proof point that they think their clientele may prefer then that is how this selection came to be? I don't know but that is the best I can guess and a lesson that some BS bottles may just have to be have to bludgeoned with enough water that they begin to shine as this one now does.

One of our sage members once wrote that each bottle is its own learning experience, or something like that, certainly the case here.

Cracked one of my Knob Creek 9 years from the bunker. This stuff is so mellow compared to the current NAS stuff it's like night and day. Wonder how the new 9 year will compare... cheers!

• I like it 1

Wow this smells like this best BT product ever. I wish I had a chance to get some of the 10 or 12 year or Proprietor’s. Old Charter from the I believe late 90s or early 2000’s.

IMG_8288.jpg

• I like it 5

Evan Williams Black Label...a standby for when I just want to have a bourbon, or maybe more, but not be fancy.

• I like it 2

SMALL Sips!!!!    ...Or, even go ahead and add a few drops of water at a time, until you find the spot where the whiskey seems perfect for you!   
There is no rule about drinking Bourbon, other than this one: Drink it how you like it best. 
There is also a corollary to that rule: Don't let anybody ever tell your not doing it right if you're enjoying it!!!!!

Maybe a smaller pour to start with.
That’s a large pour for 60% bourbon.

Hope you enjoy them. They pack a punch but also have tremendous flavor.
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.