What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Fall 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

VOB BIB. Nursing the last of my last. Will be sad to see it go as I really enjoyed VOB BIB.

Edited by kcgumbohead
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, kcgumbohead said:

VOB BIB. Nursing the last of my last. Will be sad to see it go as I really enjoyed VOB BIB.

Recently found a smaller ls with a shelf full of VOB BiB on the shelf collecting dust, @ ~$35 it seems kinda high for me since all the other VOB I’ve picked up for well under $20. Given that it’s non existent, it may be a bargain and worth going back for....... I’ve yet still to try the BiB 

Edited by TehRegion219

6 minutes ago, TehRegion219 said:

Recently found a smaller ls with a shelf full of VOB BiB on the shelf collecting dust, @ ~$35 it seems kinda high for me since all the other VOB I’ve picked up for well under $20. Given that it’s non existent, it may be a bargain and worth going back for....... I’ve yet still to try the BiB 

For comparison - VOB BIB is not sold regularly in the mid-Atlantic.  When it appears (several times a year), it sells for about $15-16 per 750.  If what you see has a neck band with "6 years old" and "Bottled-in-Bond" on the big label, it is a true dusty.  Barton dropped the neck age statement several (like 4?) years ago and replaced the age statement with a neck label "6" which also has been dropped.  The current release has "100 proof" on the band.  The BIB statement was also dropped for the current release presumably to allow the "mixing" of 100 proof spirit from different "distilling seasons" - a technical problem nowadays when column stills run almost continuously, thus running "across" distilling season boundaries.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, TehRegion219 said:

I personally wouldn't pay more than about $20-$22 for a 750ml of VOB BIB. I like it quite a bit for around $15, but it's definitely not a $30+ bottle. The BIB designation just got removed within the past year. From what I've read on here the newly branded 100 proof may not taste any different than the BIB

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, JCwhammie said:

I personally wouldn't pay more than about $20-$22 for a 750ml of VOB BIB. I like it quite a bit for around $15, but it's definitely not a $30+ bottle. The BIB designation just got removed within the past year. From what I've read on here the newly branded 100 proof may not taste any different than the BIB

I’ve pickrd up a couple white label VOB 100 for 19.99, a couple red label VOB 80 for ~12.00 and one green label VOB 86 for 15ish which I believe says aged at least 36 mo. iirc. The 80 is def thinner than the 100 but is still a good daily pour for me, I’ve yet to open the 86 since I’ve never seen another. 

The VOB BiB I’ve seen has the 100 on the neck, but still has the BiB designation on the label. I guess it’s not that old as I thought, but I was right on the $. 

Edited by TehRegion219
  • I like it 1

Tried the new ECBP C919. From memory it was very similiar to B519. I'll have to do a SBS tonight.

Hoping it’s more like A119 than B519 myself. Hoping I’ll see it hit next week where I am.

Enjoying the last pour of a 10+ yr old OBSQ (from Frugal MacDoogal back in 2014 that I think was $50).  The Q isn't my favorite yeast, but I think about what I could buy today for $50 that I'd like better . . .  full stop :)  

• I like it 1

Rare Breed tonight.  Had it last night as well while watching the Nats win.  Gonna have to make the bottle last through the World Series.

5 hours ago, marshall9779 said:

Hoping it’s more like A119 than B519 myself. Hoping I’ll see it hit next week where I am.

I'm sorry to report it's more like the B519. Which, as you can see, wasn't my favorite. 

IMG_20191024_184511.jpg

Edited by ABVT

Cracked open a bottle of MM46 and had some over ice while watching the Nats crush the Astros last night.

• I like it 1

Tonight sipped on a CEHT SmB ($60), then a Buffalo Trace ($24) and finishing with an Eagle Rare ($40)...I am coming to the conclusion that it's NOT worth spending the extra money...Buffalo Trace is holding his own with the bigger brothers IMHO.

• I like it 3

Tonight sipped on a CEHT SmB ($60), then a Buffalo Trace ($24) and finishing with an Eagle Rare ($40)...I am coming to the conclusion that it's NOT worth spending the extra money...Buffalo Trace is holding his own with the bigger brothers IMHO.

I think not just holding it’s own but bearing them out.
  • I like it 1

A high octane oak slap on a cold evening. The Canadian Glencairn is the perfect drinking vessel for this bourbon. 

20191024_211439.jpg

• I like it 1

My job as a School Psychologist is “interesting” sometimes. Stagg Jr. it is. Needed the high octane after today’s events.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

Wait, but Fred said...

Great i got the same barrel date.. hope mines not a stinker

• I like it 1

I took a healthy pour from my bottle of BT today but with the dropping temperatures, windy conditions, and cloudy skies, it looks like time to start adding more BiBs and BPs to the rotation. Any weather is good weather for drinking bourbon but this weather here on the Middle Coast adds to the urgency of the hunt for more good bottles. Winter is coming.

• I like it 1

In keeping with my bunker reduction program, I pulled out yet another OGD 114 to work down the inventory.  (Never fear, I have quite a few left at an average price per 750 of $21 which should tell you old fogies how long ago I started stockpiling).  For this one,  I put about 67 ml of water into 700 ml of OGD 114 to bring the proof to about 105.  With careful study of such dilution with previous bottles that resulted in proofs of 101 to 113, I have determined that, at 105, OGD exhibits a HUGE bouquet on the nose and the palate albeit with a slight heat kick from the alcohol level when compared to OGD BIB.  I can live with that.

• I like it 2

27 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

In keeping with my bunker reduction program, I pulled out yet another OGD 114 to work down the inventory.  (Never fear, I have quite a few left at an average price per 750 of $21 which should tell you old fogies how long ago I started stockpiling).  For this one,  I put about 67 ml of water into 700 ml of OGD 114 to bring the proof to about 105.  With careful study of such dilution with previous bottles that resulted in proofs of 101 to 113, I have determined that, at 105, OGD exhibits a HUGE bouquet on the nose and the palate albeit with a slight heat kick from the alcohol level when compared to OGD BIB.  I can live with that.

This is important intel.

Thank you Harry.

Tonight RY10. Getting near the bottom of this bottle. So far, I have had success with the different barrels, (four I think) of which I have had bottles.  Happy. 

Cheers 

9 hours ago, flahute said:

This is important intel.

Thank you Harry.

If somebody had given it to me without identifying it, I'd have guessed it was one of the younger (less than 9) 4R  PSs we see now - perhaps an E mash bill with the O yeast.  OGD 114 has hit me that way a few times.  Several years ago, I sat an undiluted 114 on a window sill in the Sun.  When I came back to the room about ten minutes later, the aroma filling the room was full of ripe fruit (pear and apple, not cherry) and flowers instead of herbs.

10 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

30 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

If somebody had given it to me without identifying it, I'd have guessed it was one of the younger (less than 9) 4R  PSs we see now - perhaps an E mash bill with the O yeast.  OGD 114 has hit me that way a few times.  Several years ago, I sat an undiluted 114 on a window sill in the Sun.  When I came back to the room about ten minutes later, the aroma filling the room was full of ripe fruit (pear and apple, not cherry) and flowers instead of herbs.

Harry, you're giving me hope. My first bottle of OGD 114 (many, many moons ago) didn't do anything for me, but that was back before I ever played around with adding water. According to the spreadsheet I've got a bottle bought in 2010 for $19.79 in the basement. Time to get that sucker out and do some experimenting.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.