What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Fall 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Been in bottle kill mode all week with the OF 1910. Down to one pour left which will go down tonight.

During the hiatus, I killed off a JBB "Double Aged", an OGD 114 most of which went in my old OGD BIB orange cap bottle with water, meaning I just HAD to drink the rest, and about an inch from each of five 4R PSs sitting under the silver chest.  Without SB,  my consumption has gone UP!  Now, I can relax.

• I like it 1

4 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Without SB,  my consumption has gone UP!  Now, I can relax.

Is that because of no SB or due to the stress the Nats are putting you through?! 

Just now, JCwhammie said:

Is that because of no SB or due to the stress the Nats are putting you through?! 

Nats not stressing me, but the Astros sure are.  Had to pull out my Jos.A.Mag, and add ice to it while watching ANYTHING on TV but Game 7.  Thank you very much.B)

• I like it 1

On 10/26/2019 at 12:58 PM, flahute said:

Been in bottle kill mode all week with the OF 1910. Down to one pour left which will go down tonight.

As I noted above, the last few days found me checking, alternatively and several times a day, whether SB was "up" and the fire maps for Sonoma County via a link on Cal Fire AND which bottles on hand could be drained without remorse.  In my case, my bunkered OFs are not yet opened.  Maybe this week as I've the OF special years lately . . .:)

• I like it 3

I thought it was time to open one of these up after the loss. Kudos to the Nats, really fun team. Sucks being a Stros fan tonight, hopefully the Texas local Weller will make it go a little easier.

IMG_8328.jpg

• I like it 5

From the last few days with the site down.
Some BT at the park for game 5. Awesome experience but would have been nice to see a win.
IMG_3506.JPG
Adjustments.JPG
Then for game 6.
IMG_3517.JPG
IMG_3518.JPG
Such an amazing team and win last night.
IMG_3519.JPG
Followed up with an OcurlyWA as the Nats took the lead.

• I like it 5

Toasted the Nats victory last night with my first bottle of CEHT Small Batch, which I really loved. Great Series.

And best wishes to all our brothers and sisters in the great state of California.

• I like it 2

SBS of CEHTBP 128.1 vs Stagg Jr. 131.9.  This is my first ever experience with CEHTBP. While I'm thankful to the generous SB'r for the sample, I'm glad I didn't drop big money on a bottle of this. It never shows up in Missouri. If it shows up across the river its typically north of $150. Most of my SJR purchases have been in the $50 range although availability seems to have dried up lately.

The CEHT was lighter in color..a nice bright golden amber. The SJR was more of a brown with reddish tints. On the nose the CEHT was lots of grain and corn and dusty wood. The SJR was burnt brown sugar and cherry cola. The noses on both carried over to the palate pretty consistently.  The CEHT was noticeably thinner feeling.  The finish had some dusty oak notes but faded relatively quickly and had a corn-pop sweetness. The SJR had that molasses and cherries thing going on. I got little to no corn. Some oakiness at the end with that thick burnt sugar note lingering.  I thought that on it's own the CEHT is a fine bourbon, but the SJR blew it away.  My wife felt mostly the same although she noted how "smooth" the CEHT seemed comparatively.

20191031_202350.jpg

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

SBS of CEHTBP 128.1 vs Stagg Jr. 131.9.  This is my first ever experience with CEHTBP. While I'm thankful to the generous SB'r for the sample, I'm glad I didn't drop big money on a bottle of this. It never shows up in Missouri. If it shows up across the river its typically north of $150. Most of my SJR purchases have been in the $50 range although availability seems to have dried up lately.

The CEHT was lighter in color..a nice bright golden amber. The SJR was more of a brown with reddish tints. On the nose the CEHT was lots of grain and corn and dusty wood. The SJR was burnt brown sugar and cherry cola. The noses on both carried over to the palate pretty consistently.  The CEHT was noticeably thinner feeling.  The finish had some dusty oak notes but faded relatively quickly and had a corn-pop sweetness. The SJR had that molasses and cherries thing going on. I got little to no corn. Some oakiness at the end with that thick burnt sugar note lingering.  I thought that on it's own the CEHT is a fine bourbon, but the SJR blew it away.  My wife felt mostly the same although she noted how "smooth" the CEHT seemed comparatively.

20191031_202350.jpg

Do you know what batches each were? My experience with CEHT is almost always comparable to Stagg jr. Edit: nvm you gave the proofs already, I'm an idiot.

Edited by Kane

13 minutes ago, Kane said:

Do you know what batches each were? My experience with CEHT is almost always comparable to Stagg jr. Edit: nvm you gave the proofs already, I'm an idiot.

I didn't think they were comparable or similar really at all. Very different profiles.

SJR: Batch 9 – (Fall, 2017) – 131.9 Proof

CEHTBatch 6 (May 2017) – 128.1-proof (64.05%)

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

20191031_202350.jpg

Thanks for the comparison on this one, Tim. I've always wanted to get a bottle of CEHT BP due to how much I enjoy the SmB. It's nice to see the SJR punches up in this battle. 

Murray told me to drink this, so I am. ?

Seriously, FP is not my favorite 1792 expression, but this store pick is nicer than usual.  I’ve also got a pretty good backlog of 1792 FP’s stored, so I need to focus on Drinking those down.

cheers!

A4BC31EC-7730-4250-8DB2-B2933670CCC7.jpeg

Had a trip to the EU this week. On my way back.  Having a bit of Woodford on my flight back. Still amazed that I can do this from an airplane. 

16EECC76-5AE4-482F-8CA9-327BF29B12BB.jpeg

13 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

Thanks for the comparison on this one, Tim. I've always wanted to get a bottle of CEHT BP due to how much I enjoy the SmB. It's nice to see the SJR punches up in this battle. 

The EHT was still good. Like amped up SmB which I also find very corn forward. The SJR is more like amped up ER.

Having some 1792 single barrel.  This is my first bottle of this version.  I am about 3/4s through the bottle.  I find it very bright  up front.  At least that is the best way I can describe it but as that subsides there is a nice fruitiness that I can’t quite name.  Anyhow, I have enjoyed the bourbon.  I tried a store pick full proof before the single barrel and while the full proof was quite hot the flavors, understandably, are very close.  Which brings me to my point.  I think in the future I am more likely pick up another full proof and add water rather than pick up another single barrel as they are priced within a couple dollars of each other in my area.  Also, the full proof made a killer old fashioned.

Having roughly 1.5oz of JB Distillers Cut with roughly .25oz from a 15yr KC SiB.  Wow! This little mixture is fantastic. The KC takes some of the edge off the DC, while the DC tones down the woodiness of the KC. I really wish I would've tried this prior to having just 3oz left if the JBDC. Oh well, maybe I'll stumble across a bottle soon.  

Oops.  Forgot about the Murray review of 1792 full proof.  Guess I’ll have to stick to the single barrel...until they start coming for that since the full proof will be gone. ?

It’s ok I am now contentedly sipping OGD 114.

Out with some friends in Milwaukee and went to a brewery for a fish fry last night. One of the guys bought me a shot of "their house" bourbon. Tasted like very young HH ☹. Went to a pub afterwards and had RR10yr ?

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.