What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Fall 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

15 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

Having a nice pour of ER 10y tonight.

Ditto!  ?

Biba! Joe

Passed on all these and had a couple $10 pours of Baker's at the hotel bar. I actually picked Booker's but was told they were out and they "couldn't get it anymore"?

20191105_184126-784x1613.jpg

12 hours ago, Clueby said:

Passed on all these and had a couple $10 pours of Baker's at the hotel bar. I actually picked Booker's but was told they were out and they "couldn't get it anymore"?

Not trying to defend the pricing of anything here particularly, but it really puzzles me how anyone would price GTS at double the price of WLW these days.....

17 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

Not trying to defend the pricing of anything here particularly, but it really puzzles me how anyone would price GTS at double the price of WLW these days.....

I was kinda wondering the same thing,

but that proof is the 2014 Edition of GTS, so if there was ever a GTS close to worth it, that might be it.

Furthermore, who’s ordering watered down VW Lot B instead of WLW at the same price?

I don’t take any bar menu seriously, but they are often  a good source of entertainment to me, and something to read if having a pour by myself.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

Had I had anything off this menu I would definitely want to see the bottle...which doesn't guarantee that's what is in it.  I was puzzled as well. Some of their "regular" pour menu pricing was weird as well. Booker's was $11 (although they didn't have it), Baker's was $10...but regular Buffalo Trace was $17 and Weller Special Reserve was over $20. This was at Whiskey and Rye inside the Omni in Fort Worth.

2 hours ago, 0895 said:

but that proof is the 2014 Edition of GTS, so if there was ever a GTS close to worth it, that might be it.

Furthermore, who’s ordering watered down VW Lot B instead of WLW at the same price?

I don’t take any bar menu seriously, but they are often  a good source of entertainment to me, and something to read if having a pour by myself.

I hadn’t bothered looking at the proofs. I do love the 2014 Stagg....... one of my favorites and I wish I still had some. That was the last GTS I found on a shelf. 3 deep at MSRP no less

• I like it 1

Enjoying my rainy day off work with some A119.  This batch really caught my attention as standing out from the crowd of ECBP batches in the last few years.

E5865644-C6EB-491A-BBE1-EAF956448688.jpeg

• I like it 2

18 hours ago, Clueby said:

Those tasting notes are ridiculous. Or maybe I’m just an unlucky sob with a dumb palate.

19 hours ago, Clueby said:

At least they listed the prices.  I will admit that I paid $40 for ORVW one time when they didn't list the price on the menu.  That was the last time I have had a pour without asking the price.  Continuous learning on many fronts.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, mal00768 said:

Those tasting notes are ridiculous. Or maybe I’m just an unlucky sob with a dumb palate.

I admit I didn't even read them..just names and prices.

• I like it 3

Drinking JB distillers cut for the first time. Jury is still out on this bottle.  Nice in some aspects, lacking in others.  For the price, $23, pretty solid.  Don’t know that it’s a clear winner if you compare within a $5 range.  But happy I finally found a bottle.

Plain old boring Buffalo Trace; but as the prices in my home town are getting completely out of control for all 'Special' juice, I am finding myself getting back to the basics why I enjoy a little drink at night and glad that there is plenty of affordable 'Great' bourbon to be bought.  Ironically the store owners are doing me a favor and my pocket book is agreeing with their greed...?

• I like it 4

I've had a couple of pours of a recently acquired EW BIB now and DAMN! What a terrific bourbon and it's a BIB and only $15. I think this might push OGD BIB off the regular rotation here.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, DCFan said:

I've had a couple of pours of a recently acquired EW BIB now and DAMN! What a terrific bourbon and it's a BIB and only $15. I think this might push OGD BIB off the regular rotation here.

Or just enjoy both!!

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, DCFan said:

It is a great pour for the money.  I just hope HH doesn't pull it off the market and bring it back with a 7 yr age statement in a fancy bottle for $40. 

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

Or just enjoy both!!

Granted the OGD BIB is only $7 more but if one is as tasty as the other why spend the extra when it can be applied to something else like say WT101? ;)

• I like it 1

36 minutes ago, DCFan said:

Granted the OGD BIB is only $7 more but if one is as tasty as the other why spend the extra when it can be applied to something else like say WT101? ;)

Just enjoy all three...How long you want to take this nonsense?  :D

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Just enjoy all three...How long you want to take this nonsense?  :D

It's bourbon so there is no end in sight. ;) 

On 11/6/2019 at 10:49 AM, 0895 said:

Agree all around.  I first tasted the 2014 GTS in late 2014 as an after lunch dessert @ $35 for a hefty 2 OZ pour.  Nirvana.  An SBer who also was a retailer back (THX, JP) then found me a 750 at MSRP, and WDC allows shipping to consumers.  The 2017 which I tasted and passed on and the 2018 which I did buy at a slight markup locally are not as smooth/creamy.  AND, bar menus are a hoot.  More than once, they've driven me back to craft beer or a nice wine with dinner out.

Tonight's sips will be JAM - somehow I ended up with TWO open 750s.  Must have been during the NLCS or the World Series.:o

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, DCFan said:

It's bourbon so there is no end in sight. ;) 

Exactly!  LOL

• I like it 2

On 11/5/2019 at 6:58 PM, Clueby said:

I’d probably do $125 for a 122 proof PVW23...let them pour and then check proof on bottle...they aren’t gonna pour it back in...

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Saul_cooperstein said:

I’d probably do $125 for a 122 proof PVW23...let them pour and then check proof on bottle...they aren’t gonna pour it back in...

Didn't notice that either! They aren't also gonna hand it to me for free after I say it's not 122 proof.

Working on killing off a low fill High West American Prairie Reserve.  Doing a fine job on a rainy Thursday!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.