What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Fall 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Enjoying this one… seems better balanced and less "engineered" than several of the other MM expressions I've got on hand. The sweetness is well in check without becoming overtly woody.

IMG_3412.thumb.jpg.db1cc588a9293025fc5ceea6e6f543ed.jpg

• I like it 5

Just opened a Henry McKenna dumped on 2/09.  Found it for $38.00 but still thinking I should have gone with the EW SIB that had a 2008 date on it but those are easier to find so I chose Henry over Evan.

Stagg Jr batch 11. Been on kind of a bottle kill lately, and this is the next one in my sights.  While being a good bottle, I am glad I only purchased one. 

Glad to put this week in the rear view mirror.  After a few warm-up pours, GBS EC12 is getting me right.

6D5DFDD0-EAC7-4399-94B8-AAF6C31C0D29.jpeg

• I like it 2

Unfortunately for me, my "work down the bunker by drinking the clunkers" has been put on indefinite HOLD.  My EC BP B519 is only a couple days old and is down an inch or so, most of which has been consumed with a bit of water.  The BH DR I had been working on is down about the same amount but is unlikely to be grabbed until the EC is gone.  (Shelf next to my TV chair is getting a bit crowded; is difficult to get a bottle without them clinking.)  As an other SBer suggested, perhaps BH and Coca Cola would draw me back.  We'll see.

• I like it 2

He a little willet pot still tonight.  My palate is way off tonight So nothing is really tasting right tonight. Still recovering from a health issue so that could be in fluencing my tast e tonight. 

Just opened a Henry McKenna dumped on 2/09.  Found it for $38.00 but still thinking I should have gone with the EW SIB that had a 2008 date on it but those are easier to find so I chose Henry over Evan.

Dumped or barreled on 09? The 08 EW SIB is the barreled date SBS is probably only only a 2-3 old bottle.

These finally arrived and the long wait was very well worth it. We really knocked this one out of the park.  (Yes, this is a 375ml. Your eyes are not playing tricks on you.)

E960A908-FE6B-4917-86EC-D8C7CF659EC6.jpeg

• I like it 8

5 minutes ago, flahute said:

These finally arrived and the long wait was very well worth it. We really knocked this one out of the park.  (Yes, this is a 375ml. Your eyes are not playing tricks on you.)

E960A908-FE6B-4917-86EC-D8C7CF659EC6.jpeg

There has to be a great story behind this!! Tell us more!

E960A908-FE6B-4917-86EC-D8C7CF659EC6.thumb.jpeg.bb423ec4c35b6adc647ac1ad2a820dca.jpeg

My guess is that it likely very comparable to William Heavenhill 16yo.

57 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

There has to be a great story behind this!! Tell us more!

The best way to tell the story is to post a link to this article written by Fred Minnick last year. https://www.forbes.com/sites/fredminnick/2018/11/05/how-a-bourbon-auction-went-crazy-to-defeat-cancer/#475bcfc8736f

I'm a member of the Bourbon Crusaders and we host a charity auction each year. In the story, Fred mentions a person who took the bid to the final price. That person was me (bidding for the group - not me as an individual!) There was no black card. Not sure what that'a about. 

The barrels were auctioned as 15yrs max. We selected our barrel the first week of January but the custom label process (and the government shutdown which delayed the TTB review) delayed the barrel dump date such that it turned 16yrs by the time it got dumped.

One of our members was in Osaka back in the spring and came across a vintage KBD bottling which inspired our label.

• I like it 7

E960A908-FE6B-4917-86EC-D8C7CF659EC6.thumb.jpeg.bb423ec4c35b6adc647ac1ad2a820dca.jpeg

I’m for one am very jealous, good for you guys.

The best way to tell the story is to post a link to this article written by Fred Minnick last year. https://www.forbes.com/sites/fredminnick/2018/11/05/how-a-bourbon-auction-went-crazy-to-defeat-cancer/#475bcfc8736f
I'm a member of the Bourbon Crusaders and we host a charity auction each year. In the story, Fred mentions a person who took the bid to the final price. That person was me (bidding for the group - not me as an individual!) There was no black card. Not sure what that'a about. 
The barrels were auctioned as 15yrs max. We selected our barrel the first week of January but the custom label process (and the government shutdown which delayed the TTB review) delayed the barrel dump date such that it turned 16yrs by the time it got dumped.
One of our members was in Osaka back in the spring and came across a vintage KBD bottling which inspired our label.

I remember reading this article very cool. Enjoy this.
  • I like it 1

9 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Dumped or barreled on 09? The 08 EW SIB is the barreled date SBS is probably only only a 2-3 old bottle.

Bottled in 2/09 is on the Henry. 

8 hours ago, flahute said:

I also recall this article and story from you when it happened. Just did not put 2 & 2 together. 

That’s amazing! Great story, great cause, presumably great bourbon. 

lmk if you need help filing that libel suit vs Fred for the black card comment.  ?  

After a long hectic work week, Friday night called for something special

WLW (2).jpg

• I like it 10

46 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

After a long hectic work week, Friday night called for something special

“Atta boy Luther!”   :D   Your friend and neighbor, the Weller Whore, heartily approves. ?  

I’m really not trying to get personal, but since you work with my son, did you need a double?  ;)

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

12 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

My guess is that it likely very comparable to William Heavenhill 16yo.

That's a good comp. I was thinking that it tasted like extra aged ECBP to an extent but without the oakiness you can get in ECBP. So you just skipped over my process to provide a better example?

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

I also recall this article and story from you when it happened. Just did not put 2 & 2 together. 

That’s amazing! Great story, great cause, presumably great bourbon. 

lmk if you need help filing that libel suit vs Fred for the black card comment.  ?  

Lol! I have to cut him some slack because we all remember that night a little differently. Everything changed on the fly so quickly and it was all so astounding that it turned into a blur for everyone present.

The bourbon is fantastic - everything we hoped it would be. Well balanced, not too oaky, loads of caramel, layers of complexity. I only had one quick pour before dinner so I will pour a bigger one today and spend some more time trying identify what I'm tasting.

Trying this Makers Mark RC6 thing while watching the buckeyes vs penn state game.  Very nice.  Different than the other store pick versions I have had.  I can dig it. 

• I like it 3

A couple months ago I bought several bottles of 2011 EWSB at $15ea. Even though proofed lower than I normally like, a great, tasty buy for an 8yr bourbon. Go Bucks!!

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.