What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Fall 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It’s already been a long week, and it’s only Tuesday.  <_< Holiday weeks where I work can be crazy with so many people taking extra days off. FWIW, a few years ago the company I work for decided to no longer give us the day after Thanksgiving off as a holiday. Hence I have to work Friday.  A number of my fellow employees      just say screw it and take the whole week off, so that contributes to the craziness. So, ORVW 10 is in the glass now. Ahhhhh, much better. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

20 hours ago, Curtis Reed said:

image.jpg

Lovely set! The Roses & the chess pieces/ board! Is it marble?

On 11/22/2019 at 9:16 PM, flahute said:

These finally arrived and the long wait was very well worth it. We really knocked this one out of the park.  (Yes, this is a 375ml. Your eyes are not playing tricks on you.)

E960A908-FE6B-4917-86EC-D8C7CF659EC6.jpeg

When I saw this picture it made me think of some of my old KBD bottles I still have. I loved that little age sticker. 
I'm sure that’s some good juice. So I'm having some JD 12y
69D38F06-25F2-4824-8DE5-4EC44CF70584.thumb.jpeg.3e09e4977bd7eba4fca4bc5686c3d776.jpeg

Edited by LCWoody
  • I like it 5

Caught up with a good friend I hadn’t seen in awhile.  He busted out some 4R Al Young, as well as JD Belle of Lincoln from decanter.  Both were excellent representations of their eras!

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I’m gonna venture a guess that “grenade” will be empty by the time we show up for our family Thanksgiving Thursday. ?

Biba!  Uncle Doucé

Ha! It was emptied a few days ago. Grateful I have a few bunkered!!

:D

32 minutes ago, Galvin0791 said:

Ha! It was emptied a few days ago. Grateful I have a few bunkered!!

:D

Well then, I reckon I won’t be brining one Thursday.  ?

• I like it 1

Awesome fire. New Riff SB.  Behike’s.  With my son.  I love Thanksgiving.  Hope everyone has a great holiday!

• I like it 3

Late model Knob Creek PS single barrel, 12+ year old.  It's good but can't compare to my KC store picks from a few  years ago.

Great evening of bourbon. I started off blinding my host with a WSR SiB pick and CYPB. He initially picked the CYPB but ended up choosing the WSR as his favorite of the two! Nice to know. During that I had a semi blind SBS of ‘16 and ‘18 OFBB (‘16 was the winner) 

We moved on to Old Charter French Oak Which we both thought was excellent.  Palate was think and creamy and classic ER cherry flavors with more of a sweet oak vs a dry oak finish. Well done BT. While my friend finished the last of the FO I had wee pours of an ER pick that was absolutely phenomenal and a 4R OESO that was great, but actually took a backseat to the ER

For the endgame I pulled out the last of my WLW that I saved for him. Got an unexpected bomb back in return when he retaliated with a 4R 50th Al Young pour! Both of us just ooohhhed and ahhhhh’d for the next 30 minutes. The 4R was full of fruit and dark sugars on the nose with deeper red fruit on the palate. Definitely had a oak presence, but not astringent or tannic, more slight mint spice and then a looong finish. So good. 

F9772722-FC9E-4600-A896-F07C5A8CA6CF.jpeg

• I like it 9

1 hour ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Great evening of bourbon. I started off blinding my host with a WSR SiB pick and CYPB. He initially picked the CYPB but ended up choosing the WSR as his favorite of the two! Nice to know. During that I had a semi blind SBS of ‘16 and ‘18 OFBB (‘16 was the winner) 

We moved on to Old Charter French Oak Which we both thought was excellent.  Palate was think and creamy and classic ER cherry flavors with more of a sweet oak vs a dry oak finish. Well done BT. While my friend finished the last of the FO I had wee pours of an ER pick that was absolutely phenomenal and a 4R OESO that was great, but actually took a backseat to the ER

For the endgame I pulled out the last of my WLW that I saved for him. Got an unexpected bomb back in return when he retaliated with a 4R 50th Al Young pour! Both of us just ooohhhed and ahhhhh’d for the next 30 minutes. The 4R was full of fruit and dark sugars on the nose with deeper red fruit on the palate. Definitely had a oak presence, but not astringent or tannic, more slight mint spice and then a looong finish. So good. 

F9772722-FC9E-4600-A896-F07C5A8CA6CF.jpeg

What a lineup! Sounds fantastic. I keep hearing that about the CYPB too.. strange that its in such demand after lukewarm reviews. How did the Old Charter French Oak compare with the big dogs?

2 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

I keep hearing that about the CYPB too.. strange that its in such demand after lukewarm reviews.

It's a Weller so it's got instant appeal to any and all who are beating the bushes trying to secure a bottle, any bottle, just so it says Weller. Followed by pics on the internet along with the oohs and ahhs of the multitudes of people who are jealous.

15 hours ago, parksmart said:

Caught up with a good friend I hadn’t seen in awhile.  He busted out some 4R Al Young, as well as JD Belle of Lincoln from decanter.  Both were excellent representations of their eras!

I have an unopened Jack "Belle of Lincoln" bottle, that I've been meaning to crack open. I think it's from '76.  How was it?

2 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I have an unopened Jack "Belle of Lincoln" bottle, that I've been meaning to crack open. I think it's from '76.  How was it?

I’m not normally a JD fan.  But I’d drink this every opportunity I’m offered it.  The 4R AY was better, but not heads and shoulders above the JD BoL.  

I’ve been drinking a lot of “dusty” bottles recently.  The JD BoL is firmly in the “they don’t make them like they used to anymore” camp (which means that the bourbons from decades ago are made in a different and, for my palate, more “pure” style than nowadays).

• I like it 2

Perhaps, I’m just in an extremely good mood after calling it a day and staring at the long Thanksgiving break, but I am finding this KC 12 yr to be exceptional.  Sweeter and fuller than I find most Beams in this age range.  Great color.  Choke inducing $59 price means limited repeats, but I can’t argue with what I’m seeing here, today

471152E1-A15F-4F45-B3B3-C48269B17B47.jpeg

• I like it 2

Looking forward to the Thanksgiving holidays. Ms Starsurfer does a fantatic turkey and I have a pork belly set aside to smoke when we are tired of turkey.   I had a small stroke on NOvembeer 12 but am now fully recovered from the minor effects. I take this as a warning shot to be listened to.  So I have a great deal to be thankful for this Thanksgiving as I am sure others on this site do as well.  Take everyday as a gift.  I try to live by JackLondon’scredo Provided below:

I would rather be ashes than dust! 

I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot. 

I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. 

The function of man is to live, not to exist. 

I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them. 

I shall use my time. 

• I like it 6

Well I’m into some EWBiB and had some leftover pumpkin pie filling so through a shot into it and baked in a ramekin.

if any of you are making pumpkin pie tonight or tomorrow I highly suggest adding some 100 proof bourbon - it’s a game changer!

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

What a lineup! Sounds fantastic. I keep hearing that about the CYPB too.. strange that its in such demand after lukewarm reviews. How did the Old Charter French Oak compare with the big dogs?

I did not have the CYPB yesterday, but enjoyed the pour I had previously.  I did have the WSR pick blind against a different WSR pick they were both very good.  

Enjoyed French Oak.  I think it had an Eagle Rare profile (2 more years, 2 poof bump) with less cocktail cherry on the nose.    In retrospect I would have liked to have tried it SBS with the ER I had later.  I think it would be good to mix in a blind with 1-2 ER picks.  See if the White Oak makes a noticeable difference. It was certainly well received.  We both liked it.  

• I like it 1

I’m revisiting my HH 7 yr this evening. When I first opened this bottle, the nose was marvelous and the taste was pretty darned good. The second time around, the nose was still there, but the flavor kinda lost some of its luster. This has remained the case with each successive pour. Nose great, taste fair. While some bottles seem to “open up” after being opened a while, the HH 7 appears to have done the opposite. This started out as what I thought was a great bourbon. It has now turned into something more “ordinary”. IMHO, it’s good, but not great. I was really lucky in getting this bottle. Especially since I got it at the suggested retail price of $39.99. I almost hate to say this, but I’ll probably pass if offered another one. Oh well......

Biba! Joe

PS. I want the old HH 6 back. :huh:  Sadly, I only have one left in the bunker. ?

• I like it 3

Just now, fishnbowljoe said:

I’m revisiting my HH 7 yr this evening. When I first opened this bottle, the nose was marvelous and the taste was pretty darned good. The second time around, the nose was still there, but the flavor kinda lost some of its luster. This has remained the case with each successive pour. Nose great, taste fair. While some bottles seem to “open up” after being opened a while, the HH 7 appears to have done the opposite. This started out as what I thought was a great bourbon. It has now turned into something more “ordinary”. IMHO, it’s good, but not great. I was really lucky in getting this bottle. Especially since I got it at the suggested retail price of $39.99. I almost hate to say this, but I’ll probably pass if offered another one. Oh well......

Biba! Joe

PS. I want the old HH 6 back. :huh:  Sadly, I only have one left in the bunker. ?

It’s funny. I noticed this exact same thing. It was viscous, caramel and brown sugar, bold. Then, not more than five days later it was....meh. 

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, Supercharger said:

It’s funny. I noticed this exact same thing. It was viscous, caramel and brown sugar, bold. Then, not more than five days later it was....meh. 

Xactly! You nailed it. 

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.