What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Fall 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

12 hours ago, parksmart said:

Veddy cool!  So what’s his name?  ?

Just kidding!  Veddy jelly you’ve got to have a snort or 3 of the ETL100.  Haven’t seen or heard of any here in the Bay Area...... ? ?

I guess you’ve never been to a bar in New Orleans. 

7 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

In 5 out of the 6, yes.  ?

If the winters weren’t so brutal I’d move there. ;)

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

Here's a Weller Family Christmas card photo for all y'all (especially fishnbowljoe).

20191221_083508.jpg

So Frank......which Weller goes best with your Honey Nut Cheerios?

• I like it 6

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

I guess you’ve never been to a bar in New Orleans. 

Unfortunately, it has been awhile since my last trip there.......?

9 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Here's a Weller Family Christmas card photo for all y'all (especially fishnbowljoe).

20191221_083508.jpg

Ok, ok - true confessions time:

1.  The "paper-label" OWA107 bottle contains the SB.com blend.

2.  The W. L. Weller Centennial bottle contains "Joe's 2018 Weller Blend" (as my homage to fishnbowljoe).

3.  I DO have the squat (older) bottles of WSR, OWA107, and W12 but they're buried in the bunker.  I also have open bottles of more Wellers on the bar.

4.  The middle (open) bottle of WLW is the 2015 140.2pf that is very sparingly shared with good friends who would appreciate it!

Enjoy,

F.

8-)

Fanrastic Frank!  ?  You truly are a bourbon brother from another mother.  ?

There is World War I and World War II. The same can be said of us Weller Whores. Weller Whore I and Weller Whore II. FWIW, I really don’t care which one I am, cause it’s all good!!! ?  Cheers brother!

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

So I picked these up today at my local liquor store.  I had Been wanting to try a Balcones product and the baby blue delivered.  It is a corn whiskey and it delivers on that note.  The reviews that I have read put it 3-5 points above Mellow Corn and having never had that product, I can tell you this was quite good as long as you are not expecting a complex whiskey.  I also picked up a Balcones RUMBLE which is not a a whiskey but distilled from honey, brown sugar, and figs.  THe nose delivered a strong scent of fig preserve which was delivered upon tasting. I grew up in the Deep SOuth with a fig tree in our yard and my mom put up fig preserves every year.  One taste of this and I wa 10 years old picking figs off that tree on a balmy Summer day.  The price was worth that trip down memory lane for me.  It actually reminds me more of a RUM than a whiskey. I realize that these are not Bourbons but given that this group is not a bunch of whiskey snobs I thought that I woul share a bit.

4D6349F8-39C1-49FA-99CF-E38697FEC4B1.jpeg

Edited by StarSurfer55
  • I like it 2

4 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

So I picked these up today at my local liquor store.  I had Been wanting to try a Balcones product and the baby blue delivered.  It is a corn whiskey and it delivers on that note.  The reviews that I have read put it 3-5 points above Mellow Corn and having never had that product, I can tell you this was quite good as long as you are not expecting a complex whiskey.  I also picked up a Balcones RUMBLE which is not a a whiskey but distilled from honey, brown sugar, and figs.  THe nose delivered a strong scent of fig preserve which was delivered upon tasting. I grew up in the Deep SOuth with a fig tree in our yard and my mom put up fig preserves every year.  One taste of this and I wa 10 years old picking figs off that tree on a balmy Summer day.  The price was worth that trip down memory lane for me.  It actually reminds me more of a RUM than a whiskey. I realize that these are not Bourbons but given that this group is not a bunch of whiskey snobs I thought that I woul share a bit.

4D6349F8-39C1-49FA-99CF-E38697FEC4B1.jpeg

Been wanting to try Baby Blue but the price point has kept me away...when Mellow Corn is ~$15.

4D6349F8-39C1-49FA-99CF-E38697FEC4B1.thumb.jpeg.57c8f37eb10e99dcf8bca3621a79bc64.jpeg

Wow I want some of Momma’s fig preserves.

I have my in laws visiting from France. I went to a bar to watch the Bills as always crush my dreams against Darth Vader’s favorite team the NE Pats.

Oddly enough they had most of the Weller family. I asked for the price of Full Proof and CYOB. The full proof was $25 and CYOB was $17 for full pours. I tried the CYOB, it’s quite good, I’d say well worth the asking price but no where close to secondary pricing.

IMG_8559.jpg

My father in law really like it. I decided to open up a FR LE small batch from 2016, that I oddly picked up in France. This stuff is fantastic. My father in law however want a big fan. Pulled out the W12 and that hit the spot for him. I guess he’s the French Weller whore he’s a huge fan of W12. Changed his whole mindset on bourbon.

IMG_8560.jpg

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, Clueby said:

Been wanting to try Baby Blue but the price point has kept me away...when Mellow Corn is ~$15.

They are not really comparable even though the specs may indicate otherwise. I haven't seen one myself in the wild for the longest time, I'd grab 2. Well, this big boy's getting opened for New Years, it's been collecting dust in the stash for years as you can see.

IMG_20191222_004335.jpg

9 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

I went to a bar to watch the Bills as always crush my dreams against Darth Vader’s favorite team the NE Pats.

"We're still here!  We're still here!"    ?

• I like it 1

22 hours ago, Vosgar said:

So Frank......which Weller goes best with your Honey Nut Cheerios?

2015 WLW (140.2pf) is wonderful over Honey Nut Cheerios - "you just don't have to lead 'em as much!"   ?

And my Dad used to eat his shredded wheat with soy sauce, neat . . . . . .  ?

2 hours ago, GeeTen said:

2015 WLW (140.2pf) is wonderful over Honey Nut Cheerios - "you just don't have to lead 'em as much!"   ?

And my Dad used to eat his shredded wheat with soy sauce, neat . . . . . .  ?

That’s actually the 2014 WLW you have there, you lucky guy.

2015 release is 134.6p

(It’s also the first WLW I ever tried, so the details are forever burned in my mind).

Do we ever really forget our first sip of WLW?

?

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Next request.... how about some tasting notes worthy of the "A Word or Two About Velvet Bricks" thread? :D

So my wife always makes a Buche de Noel cake at Christmas. Can’t wait to have some on Christmas Day. The only question is what bourbon to have with it. 

F08D96E6-4922-4940-A31B-141C8A074198.jpeg

Edited by StarSurfer55
  • I like it 4

So my wife always makes a Buche de Noel cake at Christmas. Can’t wait to have some on Christmas Day. The only question is what bourbon to have with it. 
F08D96E6-4922-4940-A31B-141C8A074198.thumb.jpeg.10a28d93f3846ab2e4e942b45266c33e.jpeg

Nice, I’d say something with chocolate notes, a good wheater perhaps.
  • I like it 1

Yep that is what I was thinking. I’m having some of a Pendleton’s distillers reserve that she bought me for Christmas a few years ago. The bottle with the saddle tooled leather label is more impressive than what is in it. 

• I like it 1

On the right: standard WT101

On the left: a vat I did today with 6oz WTRB and 9oz RR 10yr

This had a proof of 100.72. I then put 2 dashes of WTRB in to bring the bottle to incredibly close to 101 proof (I dont know the exact). I must say wow, this is fantastic. I cant get my nose out of my Glencairn. I love the standard for the price, but this blend adds some depth. I may have to put this in the feather bottle instead of WT101. I'd like to try this against some of the WTKS honey barrels. 

20191222_195433.jpg

• I like it 5

On the right: standard WT101
On the left: a vat I did today with 6oz WTRB and 9oz RR 10yr
This had a proof of 100.72. I then put 2 dashes of WTRB in to bring the bottle to incredibly close to 101 proof (I dont know the exact). I must say wow, this is fantastic. I cant get my nose out of my Glencairn. I love the standard for the price, but this blend adds some depth. I may have to put this in the feather bottle instead of WT101. I'd like to try this against some of the WTKS honey barrels. 
20191222_195433.thumb.jpg.9132f5ad328160fbf457fb2d55fe4f15.jpg

Standard WT101 in a WTKS bottle? I want this vat.

6 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Standard WT101 in a WTKS bottle? I want this vat.

Yes. I know this bottle was polarizing, and I'm on the side that's a big fan. I highly recommend doing this vat if you're a turkey fan. 

4 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

F08D96E6-4922-4940-A31B-141C8A074198.jpeg

^^^THAT^^^ is one fine-looking creation!    If it tastes half as good as it loox, that cake will go great with just about any decent pour!   My mouth is watering a little, just looking at the screen.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.