What Bourbon Did You Pass On Today (Fall 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

7 hours ago, DCFan said:

Why are you driving past a store that has this in stock and is probably in line with their new pricing?

6 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Because it's too damn expensive for what they are, regardless of whether or not those are current prices. 

What Vosgar said and the fact I can go to one of several others and get Baby Saz for $30 or less ($27 sale price was the cheapest I saw Fri), and WSR is is getting to be pretty common at @ 1/2 those prices.   Reasons I didn't pick them up at the reputable shops Fri is that I've already got a few bunkered and I was surfin' and hopin' for something else - 1792 12yr and OF 1910.  Probably won't see either for a few more months though.   Also passed on a few more 1792 BIB and HR at about $40 per - not because that's too high (for down here), but because I've got maybe 1/2 dozen of each bunkered already (me LIKES 1792 BIB & HR).  Actually, I may have to reconsider those passes.....

• I like it 1

21 hours ago, PowderKeg said:

Had the urge to do little bourbon surfin' Fri eve, hit 12 or so locals, half of them for the first (and except for 1, likely the only time).   One I'll keep driving past had Baby Saz for $56 and WSR 750/1.75 for $45 and $66.  

12 hours ago, DCFan said:

Why are you driving past a store that has this in stock and is probably in line with their new pricing?

10 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Because it's too damn expensive for what they are, regardless of whether or not those are current prices. 

One thing I neglected to say in my post is that I have nothing against either of these whiskies. I currently have one of each open on my bar and enjoy both, even though neither will ever be considered by me to be more than a good, basic version of the type of whiskey they represent. I should have added that at the price points mentioned by PowderKeg, you've opened the door to many other whiskies which may arguably be more worthy of your hard earned money.

Edited by Vosgar
  • I like it 3

1 hour ago, Vosgar said:

One thing I neglected to say in my post is that I have nothing against either of these whiskies. I currently have one of each open on my bar and enjoy both, even though neither will ever be considered by me to be more than a good, basic version of the type of whiskey they represent. I should have added that at the price points mentioned by PowderKeg, you've opened the door to many other whiskies which may arguably be more worthy of your hard earned money.

I agree with this.  Saz is fine for $30 and WSR is ok at about $20. Neither of them really hits a spot for me, though. To each their own. 

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

I agree with this.  Saz is fine for $30 and WSR is ok at about $20. Neither of them really hits a spot for me, though. To each their own. 

Weren't the prices raised for these as well as the OWA?

2 hours ago, DCFan said:

In guessing they probably were. I haven't seen any of the Wellers (nor Saz) in this market since the price hike. 

5 hours ago, DCFan said:

I just picked up a couple of bottles of WSR at Bevmo in No. Calif. at the old price. They had just gotten an allocation and it didn't last long.  And Bevmo isn't one for holding the line on prices.  K&L recently had some at the old price too so maybe (hopefully) WSR will stay reasonably priced if hard to get. 

FWIW, they were screw cap bottles.  Has anyone seen WSR with corks? 

2 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

In guessing they probably were. I haven't seen any of the Wellers (nor Saz) in this market since the price hike. 

There has been some WSR hit our area in small amounts. The current msrp on a 750ml of WSR is about $23. So when a retailer is charging over $50 a bottle they are gouging the customer.

On 10/18/2019 at 5:19 PM, HoustonNit said:

Thanks your correct. In that case I’d take two BT over WSR.

It's interesting to see how some stores price different bottles. This place was crazy high on WSR, but their 1.75L's of BT were right inline with the rest of the area prices. I have also been getting 1.75L of WT101 at this same store on sale for $25 lately. To me, that is the best value out there.

• I like it 3

32 minutes ago, Double C's said:

The current msrp on a 750ml of WSR is about $23. So when a retailer is charging over $50 a bottle they are gouging the customer.

In our area, WSR was mostly scarce and went from $25 to $40 a few months ago.  It still flew off the shelves...for a while.  Now, it sits on the shelves where it’s available.  In fact, one LS has actually lowered their price to $35 and it’s still on their shelves.  Another LS, that didn’t get it in the past, finally had it at $30 but it took quite a while to move it (and I admittedly helped them with that).  They told me that they’re not going to get it anymore.  IMHO, folks (around here, anyway) are getting fed up with the whole Weller deal and are just going with alternative wheaters, like Larceny - and yes, even our own Wyoming Whiskey! 

Edited by CaptBud
  • I like it 1

2 hours ago, CaptBud said:

In our area, WSR was mostly scarce and went from $25 to $40 a few months ago.  It still flew off the shelves...for a while.  Now, it sits on the shelves where it’s available.  In fact, one LS has actually lowered their price to $35 and it’s still on their shelves.  Another LS, that didn’t get it in the past, finally had it at $30 but it took quite a while to move it (and I admittedly helped them with that).  They told me that they’re not going to get it anymore.  IMHO, folks (around here, anyway) are getting fed up with the whole Weller deal and are just going with alternative wheaters, like Larceny - and yes, even our own Wyoming Whiskey! 

Sounds like some folks actually opened and tasted their WSR, then....reality set in. No disrespect to its fans, it just should have stayed near the 10.00-15.00/750 range it belongs in.

• I like it 4

Passed on a bunch of high west special batch or whatever they call it (store picks) the ones with oil slick bottles and medallions. JJB port finish, KC rye SiB, and a bunch of others. Seems like bourbon season has hit the Windy City 

14 hours ago, DCFan said:

11 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

I really don’t think so.

A while back, the price for OWA was definitely raised for the vast majority, if not all of the country as was announced by BT. Price adjustments for Weller SR and Weller 12 were hinted at, but nothing was actually “written in stone”.  

The price for Weller SR in my area has pretty much remained steady in the mid /upper $20.00 price range. Usually at or about $27.99. On the other hand, the price for Baby Saz seems to have actually dropped a little. For the longest time it was priced at $32.99/ $33.99, which isn’t all that bad. The price at a couple of stores in my area has been $29.99 for quite a while now. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

4 hours ago, TehRegion219 said:

Passed on a bunch of high west special batch or whatever they call it (store picks) the ones with oil slick bottles and medallions. JJB port finish, KC rye SiB, and a bunch of others. Seems like bourbon season has hit the Windy City 

What variations are you seeing?  DR finished in MWND?

I enjoy those with a good cigar...

22 hours ago, CaptBud said:

Classic Econ 101 in action.  When demand exceeds supply, prices increase and/or scarcity results and consumers seek out substitute goods.  When supply meets demand, prices stabilize and the product is available.  When supply exceeds demand, prices decline and/or surpluses of product accumulate.

11 hours ago, gurgalunas said:

What variations are you seeing?  DR finished in MWND?

I enjoy those with a good cigar...

I didn’t look at them all, but there was RR, BR, APB, DR. The couple I looked at the label were under 2 yo, finished in scotch and rum barrels. I’ve got a lead on some other BT products so I’m kinda holding off on the HW for that reason.  If what I’m looking for is gone I’ll prob go pick up a DR and APB as well as the OF 1910 I passed up as well

Edited by TehRegion219
  • I like it 1

Left a Blantons (already have 1 in the bunker) , BT and ER on the shelf.  Got there 30 minutes after the store opened and the truck made his delivery today but left these for some other tater to splurge on.

I passed on some Booker's 2019-2 "Shiny barrel batch" at a good price because I was looking for the 2019-3 batch. Anybody tried the Shiny Barrel Batch? At only $60 I am second guessing myself and wonder if I should return and pick one up.

4 hours ago, Double C's said:

I passed on some Booker's 2019-2 "Shiny barrel batch" at a good price because I was looking for the 2019-3 batch. Anybody tried the Shiny Barrel Batch? At only $60 I am second guessing myself and wonder if I should return and pick one up.

Plenty of Theresa’s batch around these parts

22 hours ago, Double C's said:

Anybody tried the Shiny Barrel Batch? At only $60 I am second guessing myself and wonder if I should return and pick one up.

I've tried both the Shiny Barrel and the Country Ham and, contrary to the general consensus, I marginally prefer the Shiny Barrel.  And $60 is a good price so I would recommend you go back and get it...

5 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

Little Book Chapter 3 @ $120.  Not sure if this was a bad/good decision?

I'd likely have pulled out the wallet for it at that price; but, of course everybody has to decide for him/herself.

• I like it 1

36 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

I'd likely have pulled out the wallet for it at that price; but, of course everybody has to decide for him/herself.

Yeah, I'm curious.  There are 15 bottles of the stuff at the LS by me and it's been sitting there for a few weeks.  Anyone tried this yet?

4 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

Yeah, I'm curious.  There are 15 bottles of the stuff at the LS by me and it's been sitting there for a few weeks.  Anyone tried this yet?

It is outstanding!!!!   The best little book of the first 3 IMHO.

• I like it 1

Little Book Chapter 3 @ $120.  Not sure if this was a bad/good decision?

I definitely would have pulled out the wallet for another bottle...even at that price!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.