What Bourbon Did You Pass On Today (Fall 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

49 minutes ago, KSJon said:

Just saw Henry McKenna marked at $89.  I see it around town marked at $39.  I pass on it at $39 but I truly thought I was reading the tag wrong when I saw the price!

$89 Would be a hard pass for me also.  $39 is high for what it is, but a maybe if I was in the mood.  Used to pick it up for $30 until the price shot up to $50 some months ago.  I just don't buy it anymore.  To many good bourbons out there at or under $50 compared with HM.

(IMHO)

• I like it 5

Little Book 3 at $110.

I know it’s supposedly good, but look at me showing some restraint ?.  I also got a Baker’s 13y SiB for $10 less, so that was a factor in the decision making.

• I like it 1

1.75 BT small batch

EC store pick

1.75 JD that came with a sweet string duffel bag 

KC gift pack with coffee mugs (~$20 with a 750 100 proof)

WR wheat

larceny store pick

1 hour ago, TehRegion219 said:

1.75 BT small batch

EC store pick

1.75 JD that came with a sweet string duffel bag 

KC gift pack with coffee mugs (~$20 with a 750 100 proof)

WR wheat

larceny store pick

The Woodford wheat is surprisingly good.  It's actually a 4 grain recipe.  If the price was at all reasonable, I recommend picking it up.

• I like it 1

31 minutes ago, 0895 said:

The Woodford wheat is surprisingly good.  It's actually a 4 grain recipe.  If the price was at all reasonable, I recommend picking it up.

Thanks 0. I’m going to a charity tasting/raffle tomorrow night. IIRC, there may be a bottle or two of the WR Wheat available. I’ll keep my eyes open. :blink:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

I concur with this assessment!
  • I like it 2

50 minutes ago, 0895 said:

I don't know why but I am intrigued with the WR wheat.  I like Bernheim well enough.  If I find it at a good price, I will probably give it a try.

45 minutes ago, 0895 said:

4 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I concur with this assessment!

I look forward to picking one up, but it’s been so readily available ( been on shelves for a couple of months now) I balk everytime and get something else that’s more scarce or nothing at all. Not a bad gamble at ~$35/750, ive spent more on crappy bottles. 

3 minutes ago, TwoFingers said:

I don't know why but I am intrigued with the WR wheat.  I like Bernheim well enough.  If I find it at a good price, I will probably give it a try.

As like the WR, the bernheim is always there so it’s always passed on account it’ll be there when I’m ready....

Did I mention they also have the WR 4 grain as well? 

31 minutes ago, TehRegion219 said:

I look forward to picking one up, but it’s been so readily available ( been on shelves for a couple of months now) I balk everytime and get something else that’s more scarce or nothing at all. Not a bad gamble at ~$35/750, ive spent more on crappy bottles. 

As like the WR, the bernheim is always there so it’s always passed on account it’ll be there when I’m ready....

I've always wondered why there aren't more wheat whiskeys with all the wheat produced in the US.  I've heard rye is alot harder to produce than bourbon and am curious if that is true when using wheat.

Got back from a conference trip to the Holy Lands last week, brought several back (didn't make it past Memphis on the trip up before the first purchase...), but also passed on a few.

Larceny SiB BP $100 (hard pass)

OE101 7yr slightly dusty $30

and I might catch some flack on this...

Coming out of the Old Forester tasting room after a Thurs eve tour ,(my 3rd since they opened) with a bunch of foresters, they suddenly said that some President's Select just hit the gift shop, just ask at the register.  Several of us said OHHHHH!!!!!    Guy in front of me at the register asked how much.... $180 +tax.  I quickly headed the other direction...

I absolutely knew that there's no way on God's green earth I could ever enjoy consuming a $200 bottle of bourbon - my mind would always detour to all the other multiple good/enjoyable bottles I could've brought back instead, even considering the extremely LE fact of it.

At least one of the other's bought one, then spent the rest of the eve guarding it - we kept threatening to buy him beers until he loosened up enough to open it...

The next day he was debating how to pack it up and whether to take it back on the plane or ship it separate.  My thought was ship it separate and insure it - figured the airline would give him a big 'ol FU!!! if it got busted on the flight.

Resizer_15730924311520.thumb.jpg.188c5fc65ae3cb0eb01f1ef15a976a40.jpg

• I like it 2

PowderKeg,

I admire your common sense.  Now go celebrate with some OF Rye.

P.S. The last bottle of Birthday Bourbon I bought cost $39.99.  That was a few years ago.  I thought it was sort of pricey. ? 

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, PowderKeg said:

Coming out of the Old Forester tasting room after a Thurs eve tour ,(my 3rd since they opened) with a bunch of foresters, they suddenly said that some President's Select just hit the gift shop, just ask at the register.  Several of us said OHHHHH!!!!!    Guy in front of me at the register asked how much.... $180 +tax.  I quickly headed the other direction...

First let me apologize for editing your post, PK.   

I totally agree with your sentiment on this.   It would need to be a REALLY SPECIAL Bourbon to make me forget that price tag, too.   

I've had a few that were that good (or close to it, anyway).... VERY FEW!

19 hours ago, KSJon said:

Just saw Henry McKenna marked at $89.  I see it around town marked at $39.  I pass on it at $39 but I truly thought I was reading the tag wrong when I saw the price!

I've seen it for $99 here in the Golden State.  When I see it at all...

Saw a bottle of Eagle Rare at $89.99. I thought I was reading the price tag wrong. Picked up the bottle, then CAREFULLY placed it back and backed away slowly.

• I like it 3

Usually don't do a lot of buying early in the fall during soccer season.  Just too busy to shop at liquor stores and I like to pool some money to go on a pre Holidays buying spree when there are good sales.  I passed on a Baker's 7 year Single Barrel (the new bottle) at the local Kroger.  It was $58.  With a 6 bottle discount, the price would have been $50.  I only have a few more weeks until the season over and then I will go shopping.  

Passed on a bunch of rye..... again, seems like these have been here several weeks now. I wonder if there would be that many single barrels if the label said BT instead of KC???

which one would you pick up????

3B6D6BD8-A5B9-4766-A2CB-8332C10B95F1.jpeg

B59FE92D-722A-4E8C-B867-999467D88584.jpeg

12 minutes ago, TehRegion219 said:

Passed on a bunch of rye..... again, seems like these have been here several weeks now. I wonder if there would be that many single barrels if the label said BT instead of KC???

which one would you pick up????

3B6D6BD8-A5B9-4766-A2CB-8332C10B95F1.jpeg

B59FE92D-722A-4E8C-B867-999467D88584.jpeg

Send me the HW rendezvous rye 2 pack. Thats the best looking thing up there. Edit.. its a RR and DR so maybe not such a great price.  Surprisingly I have never had KC rye so those may be an even better choice.

Edited by FasterHorses

2 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Send me the HW rendezvous rye 2 pack. Thats the best looking thing up there. Great price if im reading that correctly. Surprisingly I have never had KC rye so those may be an even better choice.

99 for rondezvouz/double rye two fer 

i have one KC rye and didn’t really care for it. That’s  why my inner tater isn’t jumping all over these I suppose

On 11/6/2019 at 5:24 PM, TehRegion219 said:

Still there....... at several of my spots at that. 

and idk why I said four grain.... I meant WR malt whiskey. 

*EDIT* 

Also, any insight on the Old Elk? It’s a single barrel.... it’s next to the walking dead sauce but also EC on the other side so idk.....

0142E8CB-B41B-4E13-87A8-8FD1C2B3C1CE.jpeg

Edited by TehRegion219
Old elk inquiry

On 11/6/2019 at 5:26 PM, 0895 said:

Just read this and the posts following it.  POOP!  I saw a display of these and didn't even check the price.  If I could only remember where I saw it  . . .

5 minutes ago, TehRegion219 said:

Still there....... at several of my spots at that. 

and idk why I said four grain.... I meant WR malt whiskey. 

*EDIT* 

Also, any insight on the Old Elk? It’s a single barrel.... it’s next to the walking dead sauce but also EC on the other side so idk.....

0142E8CB-B41B-4E13-87A8-8FD1C2B3C1CE.jpeg

Old Elk PS that I tried was really good. Not sure about the non-PS.

I didn't really pass on this since it hasn't come in yet.  However, it will be a pass when it does.

One of the local liquor stores posted this on their Facebook Page. 

"Preservation Distillery is going to release to Indiana their Rare Perfection 14 year retail $134.99 and 15 year retail $169.99 and Old St Nick retail $153.99. I do not know where their whiskey is sourced from. Should we buy a little or as much as I can??"

Based on the response, they will have no trouble selling what they get.  

5 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I didn't really pass on this since it hasn't come in yet.  However, it will be a pass when it does.

One of the local liquor stores posted this on their Facebook Page. 

"Preservation Distillery is going to release to Indiana their Rare Perfection 14 year retail $134.99 and 15 year retail $169.99 and Old St Nick retail $153.99. I do not know where their whiskey is sourced from. Should we buy a little or as much as I can??"

Based on the response, they will have no trouble selling what they get.  

Canadian ..easy pass

13 hours ago, TehRegion219 said:

The KC Cask Strength Rye is really good, IMO. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.