What Bourbon Did You Pass On Today (Fall 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On Tuesday passed on a bottle of Blanton's. Store owner had 2 ways of selling it. $70 if you bought 8 other bottles of Sazerac products.

$150 if you bought alone.

• I like it 1

On Tuesday passed on a bottle of Blanton's. Store owner had 2 ways of selling it. $70 if you bought 8 other bottles of Sazerac products.
$150 if you bought alone.

I’ve always wanted a case of Fireball.
  • I like it 2

On 11/26/2019 at 8:59 AM, fosmith said:

Passed on this for $100.  Probably a mistake ?

Jos. A. Magnus & Co. (13 years old) "Joseph Magnus" Barrel #1360 K&L Exclusive Single Barrel Cask Strength Indiana Straight Bourbon Whiskey

Id sample it if they have one open, but I would have snapped one up.  For a 12+ year mgp sib, it’s the best deal in town.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

Passed on these today.

It was really had leaving the Baker’s, knowing how good these are.

657A9094-D062-4FCA-99C7-336B23D746EF.jpeg

937849C6-4841-471A-9699-4DE0DD81A69B.jpeg

I've also passed on the new Baker's SB a couple of times. I have probably a dozen of the classic 7 year, and I love it so much I'm afraid I would upset the balance in the cosmos if I try the new one.  I'd feel like I was cheating!?

3 hours ago, mal00768 said:

Passed on 7 year old Willet Estate bourbon @ $129.99. Stupid

The only thing stupid is that they're charging $129.99 for a 7yr old whiskey. Good call on your part, IMHO

• I like it 4

12 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I've also passed on the new Baker's SB a couple of times. I have probably a dozen of the classic 7 year, and I love it so much I'm afraid I would upset the balance in the cosmos if I try the new one.  I'd feel like I was cheating!?

A little confused.. is the clasisic 7 still going to be available

26 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

I assume it will be discontinued. But I'm not sure. Could be wrong, but to me it doesn't make much sense to keep the classic 7yr small batch alongside both the new 7yr minimum single barrel (the ones I've seen are age stated at 8+ years) in addition to the 13 yr LE. 3 sku's of Bakers would end up confusing customers.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 1

28 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

4 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I assume it will be discontinued. But I'm not sure. Could be wrong, but to me it doesn't make much sense to keep the classic 7yr small batch alongside both the new 7yr minimum single barrel (the ones I've seen are age stated at 8+ years) in addition to the 13 yr LE. 3 sku's of Bakers would end up confusing customers.

I dont believe I've read anything official, but I came to the conclusion that they're scrapping the SmB 7yr for the 7yr SiB. 

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

I dont believe I've read anything official, but I came to the conclusion that they're scrapping the SmB 7yr for the 7yr SiB. 

Yes I believe that's right.

10 hours ago, mal00768 said:

Passed on 7 year old Willet Estate bourbon @ $129.99. Stupid

I know where you were yesterday!    ?

I know where you were yesterday!    [emoji854]

Wait is this the one with a line of people waiting for the store to open? They where waiting for $130 7yr bourbon?

3 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Wait is this the one with a line of people waiting for the store to open? They where waiting for $130 7yr bourbon?

No that was another local store. I think the one that you’re referring to was 6 years old and $100.

Edited by mal00768

17 hours ago, AndyD said:

Id sample it if they have one open, but I would have snapped one up.  For a 12+ year mgp sib, it’s the best deal in town.

I saw it online but, barring that,  I don't think LSs are allowed to pour samples of distilled spirits in CA.  I've never seen one that does; even ones that do wine tastings.  I'm very tempted on the Magnus but the $100 price point for something I've not tried nor know much about gives me pause.  I just pulled the trigger on LB3 for just over that but at least I know I love the Beam profile.  If I get on the computer after a few nice pours, I'll probably spring for the Magnus, though, if they still have any.  That's usually how it goes.  :D

11 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

11 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

10 hours ago, Kepler said:

Yes I believe that's right.

What was equally as confusing here, was that one store had regular Baker’s in the new bottle. :blink: Test run maybe? 

Biba! Joe

5 hours ago, fosmith said:

I saw it online but, barring that,  I don't think LSs are allowed to pour samples of distilled spirits in CA.  I've never seen one that does; even ones that do wine tastings.  

You should noodle around the K&L site a bit more.  They regularly have complimentary tastings of distilled spirits. The schedule for their stores has been dialed back due to the holiday season.  But they’re still pouring on Sundays:  https://www.klwines.com/Company/Events

If you’re up for braving the rain, crowds and traffic, they’re doing a Bardstown Bourbon Company tasting (complimentary) at their San Francisco store tomorrow from 3:30PM to 5:00PM!

15 minutes ago, parksmart said:

You should noodle around the K&L site a bit more.  They regularly have complimentary tastings of distilled spirits. The schedule for their stores has been dialed back due to the holiday season.  But they’re still pouring on Sundays:  https://www.klwines.com/Company/Events

If you’re up for braving the rain, crowds and traffic, they’re doing a Bardstown Bourbon Company tasting (complimentary) at their San Francisco store tomorrow from 3:30PM to 5:00PM!

Wow, thanks parksmart.  Learn something new everyday.  I'm not sure I'd battle Bay Bridge/SF traffic if it was a BTAC tasting.  Ok, I'd do it for that...

Just now, fosmith said:

Wow, thanks parksmart.  Learn something new everyday.  I'm not sure I'd battle Bay Bridge/SF traffic if it was a BTAC tasting.  Ok, I'd do it for that...

Take BART to the Powell Street station (sit towards the back of the train).  You’ll exit the station on Market & 4th Street.  Walk south on 4th for 4 blocks, then make a right on Harrison.  K&L is half a block away.  Drink and shop!!!

17 minutes ago, parksmart said:

Take BART to the Powell Street station (sit towards the back of the train).  You’ll exit the station on Market & 4th Street.  Walk south on 4th for 4 blocks, then make a right on Harrison.  K&L is half a block away.  Drink and shop!!!

That's a good idea.  If it's not pouring rain, I might just do it.  Are you going? 

17 minutes ago, fosmith said:

That's a good idea.  If it's not pouring rain, I might just do it.  Are you going? 

Wish I could, but have a family gathering to attend tomorrow afternoon.  We’ll have to meet up one of these days, though!  I’m in Oakland.

1 hour ago, parksmart said:

Wish I could, but have a family gathering to attend tomorrow afternoon.  We’ll have to meet up one of these days, though!  I’m in Oakland.

I'm in Orinda.  Let's do it.  Maybe get some other East Bay SBers in on it. 

16 minutes ago, fosmith said:

I'm in Orinda.  Let's do it.  Maybe get some other East Bay SBers in on it. 

I’m down for that.  Only question is where could we all meet to share bottles?

Passed on two different EC store pics and Yellowstone store pic and two other old forester pics. Pocket Book was already hurting from other bourbon and beer purchases.

2 hours ago, parksmart said:

I’m down for that.  Only question is where could we all meet to share bottles?

My place is fine.  Maybe @WhiskeyBlender might want to join us?  She lives in Berkeley. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.