What Bourbon Did You Pass On Today (Fall 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A little twist one the usual posts in this thread.  With the wife and kids and other family members at my mother’s house for T-giving, and I see a bottle of an ETL limited edition from many years ago.  Some of you young-uns may not know that ETL used to be so “normal” that in addition to the regular bottles sitting on shelves at $25, they used to put out limited editions as well, like this one.   This was a “sweet and spicy” barrel, and I remember it being really good.  The best ETL I ever had was their 15 year limited edition.

Here is the funny part.   There is basically no chance that I left an ETL limited edition at my mother’s house.  So, I probably refilled this quite a number of years ago, with something, and I have no idea what.  So, I “passed” on this, and drank the WTKS that I brought along... :)

F683884B-20AE-4FCC-9E07-E4725FE3BC87.jpeg

4E97ED8F-69C6-4C0B-BC2B-B6B181C95DF1.jpeg

• I like it 3

The Elmer T. Lee 100 bottle today in NYC for $1,200.00— and not at a gouger type establishment. Crazy.

3 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

The Elmer T. Lee 100 bottle today in NYC for $1,200.00— and not at a gouger type establishment. Crazy.

I think it’s safe to say that store has a new designation. ;) 

• I like it 5

3 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

And here I thought the W12 I saw for $99.99 was bad

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Vosgar said:

W12 for $99 is a bargain in this area.

Passed on OWA at $55. I just can do it at that price point. I enjoy the stuff but getting over the $30 range introduces a lot of other solid options!!

• I like it 4

6 hours ago, Golferpimp1 said:

Passed on OWA at $55. I just can do it at that price point. I enjoy the stuff but getting over the $30 range introduces a lot of other solid options!!

It's one thing if you've never had it, been looking far and wide for it, and you want to try it.  MSRP is MSRP, nothing we can do about that.  But if you've already had a bottle I don't think it's something to pay through the nose to get because there are too many other bourbons that are better and cost a good bit less.

• I like it 2

On 12/3/2019 at 6:31 PM, Vosgar said:

On 12/3/2019 at 8:42 PM, Clueby said:

W12 for $99 is a bargain in this area.

A factory rep for one of our suppliers was in today and as usual he got to talking bourbon with me. He's relatively new to the spirit and in my opinion has more money than brains. He also has an obsession with PVW and now, Weller 12 (since it's the same as Pappy ?). Asked me to let him know if I ever see a bottle so I told him about this $99 one I had passed on yesterday. Without batting an eye, he wanted to know where it was and said he had no problem paying that kind of money.

I just don't understand it.......

Wonder how much I could've gotten from him for the family size bottle stashed away in the basement that I paid $40 for a few years ago :P

• I like it 5

A factory rep for one of our suppliers was in today and as usual he got to talking bourbon with me. He's relatively new to the spirit and in my opinion has more money than brains. He also has an obsession with PVW and now, Weller 12 (since it's the same as Pappy [emoji849]). Asked me to let him know if I ever see a bottle so I told him about this $99 one I had passed on yesterday. Without batting an eye, he wanted to know where it was and said he had no problem paying that kind of money.

I just don't understand it.......

Wonder how much I could've gotten from him for the family size bottle stashed away in the basement that I paid $40 for a few years ago [emoji14]

Maybe you should take pity on him and help him out.

2 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Maybe you should take pity on him and help him out.

a) Nah..... I've helped out customers many times, either as a gift or for what I paid for the bottle, but never a factory rep. Part of their job description is to get shit on by their distributors, lol

b) I plan on drinking it myself one of these years

c) If for some reason I didn't drink it, I'd let my Weller Whore buddy have first crack at it 

• I like it 5

a) Nah..... I've helped out customers many times, either as a gift or for what I paid for the bottle, but never a factory rep. Part of their job description is to get shit on by their distributors, lol
B) I plan on drinking it myself one of these years
c) If for some reason I didn't drink it, I'd let my Weller Whore buddy have first crack at it 

Ha can’t argue with your logic, hope you enjoy that bottle. Maybe you can still give the poor sap a sample so you can shatter his dreams that this is some type of magical elixir. It’s good stuff but not the holy grail of whiskey.

B) I plan on drinking it myself one of these years

Who are you kidding...once you open that bottle you won’t just drink it all yourself. I’m sure the Weller Whore and others will occasionally be invited to enjoy it with you. [emoji3]

6 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Who are you kidding...once you open that bottle you won’t just drink it all yourself. I’m sure the Weller Whore and others will occasionally be invited to enjoy it with you. emoji3.png

You're absolutely right, a poor choice of wording on my part. As an example, this Thanksgiving the husband of one of my nieces asked to try some whiskey, and he loved the '09 Binny's W12 I've currently got open (not so much with the WTRB I was drinking). He even went back for a second pour! I have a feeling he'll be asking for more whenever he's over, which is fine by me

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, Vosgar said:

You are too, too kind!   And I'm sure he will share his bounty with you too, someday.   ?

35 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

You are too, too kind!   And I'm sure he will share his bounty with you too, someday.   ?

Vosgar, Galvin0791 and I get together once in a while to shoot the s**t and share a pour or three. 

I believe that what Gary meant was that we also have kind of an an unwritten pact between us. If something happens to one of us, that persons bunker will be taken care of by the other two.  ?  

Biba! Joe

4 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Vosgar, Galvin0791 and I get together once in a while to shoot the s**t and share a pour or three. 

I believe that what Gary meant was that we also have kind of an an unwritten pact between us. If something happens to one of us, that persons bunker will be taken care of by the other two.  ?  

Biba! Joe

Speaking as a salesman (and at one time with aspirations of being an attorney ;)), since Gary is also a salesman, I’d get that pact on paper...and notarized. :D

• I like it 3

Binnys with the damn store pick single barrel rye.....  

? must Be on holiday. 

passed on some aold Potrero rye SiB store picks, WSR, baby Saz, and I actually put back the VOB100 I was going to buy in favor of some mini glencairn glasses that were the same price for 2 as the VOB100. I have one open and one in reserve so meh... 

alao found the bourbon cream section and passed on some BT and Old Ezra bourbon cream. The BT bottle was double the price of the OE gift set that came with a cheap retro looking truck stop plastic thermos coffee mug thing.  I’ll be back for one or the other soon....

AB26FEB1-10E8-4195-B97C-9CBD28AD82FA.jpeg

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Speaking as a salesman (and at one time with aspirations of being an attorney ;)), since Gary is also a salesman, I’d get that pact on paper...and notarized. :D

Thanks for publicly outing me for being the sleazy peddler that I am, Joe.

Just so you know, there are consequences for your actions, buddy boy. That bottle I have of Cody Road, batch 6, bottle #1000 that you've been coveting? I was going to bring it to Bardstown in April and give it to you, but NOT NOW! Live with that!

(Btw....you would have made an excellent litigator) 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Vosgar said:

Just so you know, there are consequences for your actions, buddy boy. That bottle I have of Cody Road, batch 6, bottle #1000 that you've been coveting? I was going to bring it to Bardstown in April and give it to you, but NOT NOW! Live with that!

It takes a sleazy peddler to out a sleazy peddler!  :D

Well, if you’re going to hold out on me with the Cody Road, I guess I’ll have to head back to TW and enjoy the scene in the rear view mirror... ;)

On 12/3/2019 at 7:31 PM, Vosgar said:

It most certainly is

11 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

8 hours ago, Vosgar said:

6 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

It takes a sleazy peddler to out a sleazy peddler!  :D

Well, if you’re going to hold out on me with the Cody Road, I guess I’ll have to head back to TW and enjoy the scene in the rear view mirror... ;)

It’s not often that I’m at a loss for words, but......  :mellow:

Biba! Joe 

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

It’s not often that I’m at a loss for words, but......  :mellow:

Biba! Joe 

Smokinjoe and I are gonna have to toast this once in a lifetime achievement in Bardstown :P :D

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Smokinjoe and I are gonna have to toast this once in a lifetime achievement in Bardstown :P :D

I'm chalking it up to a Christmastime Miracle... :D  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.