Whistlepig 18

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Of course its priced very high at $399. Is this taking the place of the boss hog? Just passed but hadnt heard about it. Their pricing is beyond absurd

Edited by FasterHorses

as much crap as they get about their prices, I think the store picks are actually really good values in today's market.

• I like it 2

as much crap as they get about their prices, I think the store picks are actually really good values in today's market.

I agree that the store pick 10yr olds that I’ve had are pretty good values.
  • I like it 3

At $399, assessing this one is simply not my problem.

I'm too busy chasing monster bottles at $200 and under, with the standard deviation at $100 and under.

On 9/26/2019 at 9:19 PM, lcpfratn said:

I agree that the store pick 10yr olds that I’ve had are pretty good values.

I'm pretty sure the last two WP 10 YR BPs I bought were UNDER $110.  At least I know one was; I found the receipt - $89 plus sales tax.  I've tasted one Boss Hog and decided it and anything WP costing more than $100 is a pass.

• I like it 1

Boss Hog VI is on the pour list for WhiskyFest next Friday in San Francisco, so apparently it does exist. 

On 9/28/2019 at 1:53 AM, Marekv8 said:

Boss Hog VI is on the pour list for WhiskyFest next Friday in San Francisco, so apparently it does exist. 

Believe I saw the other day it's called The Samurai Scientist.  I don't know the specific details behind this one though (or even who is heading this up with Dave Pickerell gone.  

• I like it 2

• 2 months later...

Will get the specifics on the Boss Hog VI - Samurai Scientist tonite at the "Official Boston Launch Party" at ZUMA (the Japanese restaurant at our Four Seasons Hotel downtown).  "Stand by one."   ?

And if you haven't guessed already, the Japanese (Kanji) character on the bottle means . . . . . .  "6"!   I also understand there are bottles with an all Japanese label and a sterling (maybe?) Samurai Scientist top - any one know about it???   ?  

Edited by GeeTen
Spelling and punctuation corrections, of course.
  • I like it 1

7 hours ago, GeeTen said:

And if you haven't guessed already, the Japanese (Kanji) character on the bottle means . . . . . .  "6"!   I also understand there are bottles with an all Japanese label and a sterling (maybe?) Samurai Scientist top - any one know about it???   ?  

Looks like the Japanese label bottle has a blackened pewter top, not sterling.  Will ask to get a pic tonite (hope,hope).   ?

42 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Looks like the Japanese label bottle has a blackened pewter top, not sterling.  Will ask to get a pic tonite (hope,hope).   ?

FYI, Peter Lynch is the new Master Blender, taking over for the late Dave Pickerell.  The rye whiskey has been aged in Japanese Umeshu (?!?) spirtis barrels from the Kitaya Brewery in Japan.  

The blackened top looks like this:

Whistle Pig Samurai Scientist.jpg

And the Japanese label looks like this:

WP Samurai Scientist Japanese label.jpg

Hope it tastes as good as it looks.   ?

Edited by GeeTen
Added pics
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

Hope it tastes as good as it looks.   ?

Thanks for the info! As far as tasting as good as it looks it shouldn't be hard as it looks pretty whacky to me. But then I haven't ever been big on the pig tops. It is "whistlepig" after all and not pig or hog. A whistlepig being a woodchuck of course.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.