What Dram Are You Enjoying Fall 2019

Auracom
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Double gratis JW Blue Label at the Sky Club. Wonder if they allow me to buy “my seat at the bar” when they doze the LGA club. 

FB2BFA49-888F-4911-AD67-C0C0AE4AAFBA.thumb.jpeg.1544727f0781e6fd584a9c6dfba7436d.jpeg

Returned to this tonight. Slowly turning into a favourite. 

Does this have some sweetness to it?
Thinking of purchasing

Sorry thought this would be interesting in a solely for science way. I had a bottle of Johnny Walker Red nearly empty that I had around in honor of my dad. He preferred this over Black as his drink of choice was 7up highballs and he thought Black was a waste if your going to mix.

I did a SBS of the red black and Chivas. These are all terrible but not as bad as blended bourbon with neutral spirits like Kentucky Gentleman. I actually thought JW Red was the best. The flavor that comes across that I’m guessing most would not like is what I thought made it the most interesting of the three. Chivas I think is really bad.

IMG_8242.jpg

Just for fun I pulled out the Old Charter 80 proof which is about as old of a bottling as the JW Red I had. OC8yr was light years better. Really don’t get why people drink bad blended scotch.

IMG_8243.jpg

35 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Sorry thought this would be interesting in a solely for science way. I had a bottle of Johnny Walker Red nearly empty that I had around in honor of my dad. He preferred this over Black as his drink of choice was 7up highballs and he thought Black was a waste if your going to mix.

I did a SBS of the red black and Chivas. These are all terrible but not as bad as blended bourbon with neutral spirits like Kentucky Gentleman. I actually thought JW Red was the best. The flavor that comes across that I’m guessing most would not like is what I thought made it the most interesting of the three. Chivas I think is really bad.

IMG_8242.jpg

Just for fun I pulled out the Old Charter 80 proof which is about as old of a bottling as the JW Red I had. OC8yr was light years better. Really don’t get why people drink bad blended scotch.

IMG_8243.jpg

I would not typically have responded here, as taste is subjective.  But you did offer that you don’t get why people drink bad blended scotch. ;)  I drink Walker Black regularly, and it is a finely blended and quality pour that I enjoy very much.  Nothing “bad” about it, other than your own taste preferences.  :D

• I like it 1

I would not typically have responded here, as taste is subjective.  But you did offer that you don’t get why people drink bad blended scotch. [emoji6]  I drink Walker Black regularly, and it is a finely blended and quality pour that I enjoy very much.  Nothing “bad” about it, other than your own taste preferences.  [emoji3]

Yeah this is a definitely a taste preference thing. To me though I really get nothing from JW Black and don’t see why anyone would drink this over any respectable straight bourbon whiskey, EW Black, etc. it’s great that you like JW Black but I think most of it’s popularity has to do with marketing.

I also think my use of terrible may of been a tad much. None of these are pour down the drain and don’t drink bottlings. Just not better than low end straight bourbon to my tastes.

I would not typically have responded here, as taste is subjective.  But you did offer that you don’t get why people drink bad blended scotch. [emoji6]  I drink Walker Black regularly, and it is a finely blended and quality pour that I enjoy very much.  Nothing “bad” about it, other than your own taste preferences.  [emoji3]

Joe, I agree 100%. I don’t care for the JW Red, but I do keep it around for a mixer...for some reason it works very well in a Rusty Nail.

9 hours ago, BigPapa said:

Does this have some sweetness to it?
Thinking of purchasing

I'd say midway through the palate you get some citrus and burnt pineapple notes, but this is bookended by briny peat. 

Certainly worth a pour if you're into peated stuff like Ardbeg 10/Ledaig 10 etc. 

With cooler weather approaching, wanted something with a bit of smoke, but still some sweetness.  Enter CB Flaming Heart.  Probably in my top 10 favorite whiskies - just unapologetic, fruity sweetness and smokey sea breeze.

• I like it 2

I tried two different Ben Nevis expressions after this-- and there's certainly a connection. Took a ton of water easily and remained quite intense with a cool machine-oil-over-rotten-fruit vibe and a quite sour finish.

IMG_3210.thumb.jpg.199de2846cdb1cf40c37bee82a5ae786.jpg

• I like it 2

Grace of Northern Grain
Happy Thanksgiving!
Cheers from the North!
FCFB4730-6A0E-4364-AB54-E33AACE2E20D.thumb.jpeg.42c270d66062ea016e4ab086d1db6995.jpeg

Ha Canadians and there month early Thanksgiving. Actually the timing of the Canadian one probably makes the most sense.

Looks like you picked the right drinks to accompany the Canadian version.

1 hour ago, DRAMachine said:

Grace of Northern Grain

Happy Thanksgiving!

Cheers from the North!

FCFB4730-6A0E-4364-AB54-E33AACE2E20D.jpeg

Nice!  Cheers and Happy Thanksgiving!  

On 10/14/2019 at 2:50 PM, HoustonNit said:

Ha Canadians and there month early Thanksgiving. Actually the timing of the Canadian one probably makes the most sense.

Looks like you picked the right drinks to accompany the Canadian version.

It gets cold up here pretty early.  The CR bourbon mash is good. 

• I like it 1

On 10/14/2019 at 4:02 PM, smokinjoe said:

Nice!  Cheers and Happy Thanksgiving!  

Thanks smokinjoe

It gets cold up here pretty early.  The CR bourbon mash is good. 

That rye looks interesting is it 80 proof? I’d love to get my hands on that barrel strength version of Lot 40 they have up there.

I definitely need to give the CR bourbon mash a go.

22 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

That rye looks interesting is it 80 proof? I’d love to get my hands on that barrel strength version of Lot 40 they have up there.

I definitely need to give the CR bourbon mash a go.

It’s an 80 proofer. It’s actually a wheat whisky, maybe rye is just for flavoring. 

• I like it 1

It’s an 80 proofer. It’s actually a wheat whisky, maybe rye is just for flavoring. 

Interesting, Canada has some good stuck of whiskey, such a shame they always seem to bottle at 80 proof. Definitely keep your eye out for the Lot 40 Cask Strength 11 year old, even the regular is supposed to be good.

Another interesting mix in my "Compass Flask" series. Reducing the Ardmore to 25% of total would have really hit the spot-- as it was a wee bit too dominant.

IMG_3231.thumb.jpg.33d5b28cae792ba99fa6808dbeef2f1b.jpg

• I like it 1

About to head into the “Parent Reception/Cocktail Hour” at my son’s school where the choices fall between Dewar’s White Label and a local craft bourbon that noses like a urinal cake. Have a flask of Baker’s in my coat pocket if it gets ugly. 

94FE9057-26EE-4EEE-B91E-A6DF623AB81F.thumb.jpeg.9c118c65b8d3796f914ce4a959b6ac2b.jpeg

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

a local craft bourbon that noses like a urinal cake. 

LOL! One of the best descriptors for a bad whisk(e)y ever!!!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.