What Dram Are You Enjoying Fall 2019

Auracom
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

8 hours ago, Vosgar said:

LOL! One of the best descriptors for a bad whisk(e)y ever!!!!

The real question I have for @Marekv8 is before or after......

10 hours ago, Vosgar said:

LOL! One of the best descriptors for a bad whisk(e)y ever!!!!

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

The real question I have for @Marekv8 is before or after......

Now this right here is some really funny s**t. Or should I say p**s. :lol: Ya gotta love it.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

31 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

The latter, post bladder. 

LMFAO!!!!!

• I like it 1

Nice Tyrconnell 16 year this evening, watching some baseball and college football.  This is finished in Oloroso and Moscatel casks, and is quite good I might say.

A6C11CD5-D8AC-4DA0-A290-5515DF13B508.jpeg

• I like it 2

A 2004 bottling that has seen quite a bit of airtime… has lost a bit of lead in its pencil… but nothing like the RHF pour that I fell asleep with this weekend. By morning it was completely unrecognizable.

IMG_3237.thumb.jpg.bae84f7e44cdb0748169399c76edc5e0.jpg

In a shocking development for me, I ended up going with all Irish and Scotch pours last night. My neighbor was over for dinner and he really likes Irish whiskey so I brought up the Tullamore Dew Phoenix and Powers John Lane 12yr.

I remember not liking the TDP the first time I tried it. Must have been a bad palate day because it tasted fantastic last night. At 110 proof, we poured it over a big cube. The PJL 12yr is always a hit of course and we followed with that.

Than the night took a strange twist (for me). He was asking me about the differences between the Irish, Scotch and bourbons and was surprised to learn that the Irish and Scotch both use malt and barley. So I decided to pull out some of the little Scotch I have for comparison.

We first tried Compass Box Spice Tree (from 2013) and I liked it quite bit. Then we went with Glenlivet 21yr (a gift from a client) and again, wow - I never remember liking it as much as last night.

I may just be turning a corner here. 

• I like it 4

In a shocking development for me, I ended up going with all Irish and Scotch pours last night. My neighbor was over for dinner and he really likes Irish whiskey so I brought up the Tullamore Dew Phoenix and Powers John Lane 12yr.
I remember not liking the TDP the first time I tried it. Must have been a bad palate day because it tasted fantastic last night. At 110 proof, we poured it over a big cube. The PJL 12yr is always a hit of course and we followed with that.
Than the night took a strange twist (for me). He was asking me about the differences between the Irish, Scotch and bourbons and was surprised to learn that the Irish and Scotch both use malt and barley. So I decided to pull out some of the little Scotch I have for comparison.
We first tried Compass Box Spice Tree (from 2013) and I liked it quite bit. Then we went with Glenlivet 21yr (a gift from a client) and again, wow - I never remember liking it as much as last night.
I may just be turning a corner here. 

The force is strong on the dark...I mean Scotch side! [emoji3]
  • I like it 2

Based on my fondness for the standard 12yr, expectations for this 10yr cask strength version may have been a bit too high. It's good but not as special as I had hoped for.

Glencask.jpg

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

The force is strong on the dark...I mean Scotch side! emoji3.png

Riding the wave while it's thumping.......

Went downstairs and grabbed the last Scotch I've yet to re-try. Balvenie 15yr Single Barrel purchased in 2013.

Also fantastic!! And this one used to turn me off. Go figure.

• I like it 3

Went downstairs and grabbed the last Scotch I've yet to re-try. Balvenie 15yr Single Barrel purchased in 2013.

I find that there are some nights that I’m just more in the mood for Scotch than Bourbon, and occasionally I get in the mood for Rum. I usually stick to one or the other, but sometimes I mix it up.

It’s also generally easier to find a really nice bottle of Scotch. However, It’s definitely not any cheaper.

9 hours ago, flahute said:

I'm trying to figure out if there's a correlation between you becoming a moderator here and your newly found enjoyment of Scotch. Doesn't make any sense, does it?

37 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

I'm trying to figure out if there's a correlation between you becoming a moderator here and your newly found enjoyment of Scotch. Doesn't make any sense, does it?

There must be something in the water that gets served at staff meetings.

• I like it 1

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

It’s a long con to move the direction of this site into Scotch.

I’ve been exploring different Scotch and yes this basic 12yr Bunnahabhain is really nice for the price, one of the betters I had and would certainly buy again. It’s an Islay but certainly not too overly smoky/peary if at all. 46.2% and NCF and age stated. Under $50 for a 750 as well.

IMG_8290.jpg

• I like it 4

8 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

I’ve been exploring different Scotch and yes this basic 12yr Bunnahabhain is really nice for the price, one of the betters I had and would certainly buy again. It’s an Islay but certainly not too overly smoky/peary if at all. 46.2% and NCF and age stated. Under $50 for a 750 as well.

IMG_8290.jpg

Try the Bunnahabhain 18 if you get a chance— it’s tough to put down. Too bad the 25yo has more than doubled in price over the last few years. 

• I like it 4

This has not been an easy week for me, so glad to find an old friend hiding in the back of the cabinet. Things seem to be turning around.

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191024224057312_COVER.thumb.jpg.c395ea0d96827354481a044d3b883e59.jpg

• I like it 1

Try the Bunnahabhain 18 if you get a chance— it’s tough to put down. Too bad the 25yo has more than doubled in price over the last few years. 

$80 what’s the catch on this bottling, 46%, I don’t get it?

IMG_8294.jpg
  • I like it 1

$80 what’s the catch on this bottling, 46%, I don’t get it?

IMG_8294.thumb.jpg.c6adeeb83c35ebe164c35df73dbf5bb7.jpg

I don’t know anything about it, but I probably would have bought it if I saw it at that price...for science of course!
  • I like it 1

On 10/26/2019 at 1:05 AM, lcpfratn said:

I don’t know anything about it, but I probably would have bought it if I saw it at that price...for science of course!

Ditto

Had a pour of the 200th Anniversary Laphroaig 15 which I've found too austere in the past, with my somewhat limited palate it is tasting really nice these days. 

• I like it 3

Ditto

This store has a bunch of these Lonach bottling and for very good pricing. I’ll have to take some pictures and see what you guys think.

1 minute ago, HoustonNit said:

This store has a bunch of these Lonach bottling and for very good pricing. I’ll have to take some pictures and see what you guys think.

Lonach is a label bottled by Duncan Taylor who are a fairly well regarded Independent bottler for what it's worth the loan review on Whiskybase is an 88 https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/115973/bunnahabhain-1989-dt

• I like it 1

After dealing with the cork issue, enjoyed an after-dinner pour of an older Compass Box Asyla.  Nice enough pour, although nothing stood out for me.  Will give it a go in another week or two, and maybe this time not after a spicy meal :)  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.