What Dram Are You Enjoying Fall 2019

Auracom
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Speaking of the dark side... this is this sister bottle to the 10yo Sauternes... lots of stale pipe tobacco and oil paint pigment. 

Good Lord, Dave! Is that the darkest 10yr old sherry cask whisky you've ever seen?

• I like it 1

14 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Good Lord, Dave! Is that the darkest 10yr old sherry cask whisky you've ever seen?

I’ve got a 7yo Adelphi Glenrothes that’s close— but this is the frickin’ Kraken. Makes a cool evil twin to the Edradour 10yo Sauternes I picked up at the same shop a few weeks back. Nice cask work across the board. 

• I like it 1

I was about to ask the same thing!

4 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Not sure what decade this is from 70s probably, tax strip is long gone, but it's really tasty.

IMG_20191214_161437015.jpg

Nice one... I’m very envious. Please enjoy. 

• I like it 1

This was brought to my attention by a local single malt aficionado— one hell of a dram for the dollar. No age statement but a nice 46% for $26.99. 

46A3486E-A0D6-4983-95EF-1F3BC26F6689.thumb.jpeg.77951f499167493c02ad27960d2c5b79.jpeg

• I like it 2

Trying this $30.00 William Grant peated single malt— age stated and 40% ABV with obvious caramel and chill filtration. Decent nose but White Claw has a better delivery— ended up pouring it down the sink. A few mLs of a cask strength Ardmore added to the bottle could turn things around. 

6E260DD8-BAD7-4AD0-88CA-C057CAD731F2.thumb.jpeg.40a3f82b2c79c244b879b4ed0fa60af8.jpeg

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Nice one... I’m very envious. Please enjoy. 

When I open my spring cap bottle we will need to figure out how to get you a sample ;) 

9 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

When I open my spring cap bottle we will need to figure out how to get you a sample ;) 

That’s very generous— I vote we meet for a dram at some point soon. I can haul up a case of samples for you. 

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

That’s very generous— I vote we meet for a dram at some point soon. I can haul up a case of samples for you. 

Next time you find yourself in NY sounds like a good enough occasion. 

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

Next time you find yourself in NY sounds like a good enough occasion. 

Very good, should be soon. I’ll try to find some unusual stuff for you to try. 

• I like it 1

Very good, should be soon. I’ll try to find some unusual stuff for you to try. 

If this happens you guys should create a thread of this get together.

7 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

If this happens you guys should create a thread of this get together.

FYI, we already have one. "The Bourbon Social."

Biba! Joe

I found myself drinking Jameson alongside a few cans of Guinness last night. For no reason I had opened a new bottle and realised I had an older bottle open, and on nosing the two the newer bottle had a much deeper nose to it. Could just be the old bottle had fizzled out, if so fresh Jameson is a top tipple.  

One of my favorite 80 proof whiskeys.  Too bad you can't find it anymore, but I still have a couple of bottles around.  Solid aged Campbeltown goodness.

73FF77C5-1EFC-48EC-8D23-B39625048CD0_1_105_c.jpeg

Edited by jeffrey r
  • I like it 2

One of my favorite 80 proof whiskeys.  Too bad you can't find it anymore, but I still have a couple of bottles around.  Solid aged Campbeltown goodness.

73FF77C5-1EFC-48EC-8D23-B39625048CD0_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.0bb9ae6698de74502d26c0089ddb0e8e.jpeg

Was this exclusively Campbeltown whisky from Springbank or other Campbeltown distillers. Fascinating to a Scotch newbie.

On 12/11/2019 at 7:56 PM, Kane said:

3-way SBS: Kaiyō 7, CS, and peated. Wish I had a Laphroaig 10.

I'm doing this same flight at the same restaurant again (the company's paying, so...). Still not feeling it. I won't buy another pour.

3 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Was this exclusively Campbeltown whisky from Springbank or other Campbeltown distillers. Fascinating to a Scotch newbie.

I believe this is considered the Springbank “house blend”.  It is all Springbank, definitely on the maltier (as opposed to grainier) side of a blended whiskey, and it is really fantastic.  I came across 4 bottles of it in a random liquor store probably 7-10 years ago for about $65 apiece, and fortunately bought all of them.  I have never seen a bottle since, not even the newer 46% version. 

• I like it 1

I believe this is considered the Springbank “house blend”.  It is all Springbank, definitely on the maltier (as opposed to grainier) side of a blended whiskey, and it is really fantastic.  I came across 4 bottles of it in a random liquor store probably 7-10 years ago for about $65 apiece, and fortunately bought all of them.  I have never seen a bottle since, not even the newer 46% version. 

Very interesting indeed, enjoy.

A few days late but I had a couple nice pours on Christmas Day due to being with some folks who prefer Scotch over bourbon.

Most of you know that my experiences with Scotch are still new and limited. I brought over a Glenlivet 21 which was a gift from a client a few years back, along with a Macallan Edition No. 5, which was my first expensive Scotch bottle purchase. This was my first Scotch single malt side by side that included the Glenlivet 21 and I was taken by how the Glenlivet seemed to be on a different level. There's no age statement on the Macallan, but it appears the extra age on the Glenlivet really seems to shine. 

I can see the rabbit hole getting bigger.....

• I like it 3

A few days late but I had a couple nice pours on Christmas Day due to being with some folks who prefer Scotch over bourbon.
Most of you know that my experiences with Scotch are still new and limited. I brought over a Glenlivet 21 which was a gift from a client a few years back, along with a Macallan Edition No. 5, which was my first expensive Scotch bottle purchase. This was my first Scotch single malt side by side that included the Glenlivet 21 and I was taken by how the Glenlivet seemed to be on a different level. There's no age statement on the Macallan, but it appears the extra age on the Glenlivet really seems to shine. 
I can see the rabbit hole getting bigger.....

Strong is the force of the scotch side! [emoji6]

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.