What water of life did you purchase - Fall/Winter 2019-20

lcpfratn
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm currently enjoying a new Canadian whiskey release, it's a rye cask strength. It definitely rivals lot 40 CS, and it's a cheaper. I don't know if our neighbors to the south will be getting this. IMG_20191203_205207.thumb.jpg.2be74b8f136004e2f800e4c64bb33b0a.jpg

I’ve been seeing this pop up and am very jealous. Is this an Alberta exclusive and how exclusive? Can I find it at a LCBO and if so is it more common than Lot 40 CS?

People like to knock that bottle design but it’s a classic and I hope they don’t change it.

Jim Lahey would be proud.

I’ve been seeing this pop up and am very jealous. Is this an Alberta exclusive and how exclusive? Can I find it at a LCBO and if so is it more common than Lot 40 CS?

People like to knock that bottle design but it’s a classic and I hope they don’t change it.

Jim Lahey would be proud.

I don't believe that it's an alberta exclusive. From what I've seen online, some people have been able to get it from the lcbo. It's funny, I thought you were American because of your username.

At the liquor stores here, there seems to be the same amount of inventory as lot 40 CS. Have you tried the third iteration of lot 40? I haven't had a chance to yet, and I don't like that they dropped the age statement.

I agree, the bottle is great. I feel like it's simplistic and classy. I love the white label on it.

9 hours ago, reeko said:

I'm currently enjoying a new Canadian whiskey release, it's a rye cask strength. It definitely rivals lot 40 CS, and it's a cheaper. I don't know if our neighbors to the south will be getting this. IMG_20191203_205207.jpg

I tried this at a spirits festival last month and loved it.  My brother in Alberta picked up a couple of bottles for me and I understand it is being rolled out across Canada.

I don't believe that it's an alberta exclusive. From what I've seen online, some people have been able to get it from the lcbo. It's funny, I thought you were American because of your username.

At the liquor stores here, there seems to be the same amount of inventory as lot 40 CS. Have you tried the third iteration of lot 40? I haven't had a chance to yet, and I don't like that they dropped the age statement.

I agree, the bottle is great. I feel like it's simplistic and classy. I love the white label on it.

I should clarify I’ve seen this popping up online in pictures.

I am American but grew up on the border in Buffalo and went to school with a lot of Canadians and spent plenty of time in Canada and still get across at least once a year.

How easy is it to pick up a Lot 40 CS or this? Is it something often on the shelf?

• I like it 1

After seeing it posted here somewhere up thread, I was able to find my own Jameson 18yr Cask Strength NCF. Looking forward to trying this one.

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Absolutely OFF-THREAD!  I love that counter/table top.

Thanks, it's an odd two-piece bar at the office-- not really sure what the inlaid material is, but it's distinctive and durable. It was long out of production, so I had to source the pieces from two different retailers-- and luckily everything matched up. Sorry for the crummy shots, everything's in disarray with the move.

IMG_3548.thumb.jpg.ddc85b12f7002974035788c93b6e7337.jpg

IMG_3549.thumb.jpg.ddbc363e409254567f0071240ddb612e.jpg

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

Thanks, it's an odd two-piece bar at the office-- not really sure what the inlaid material is, but it's distinctive and durable. It was long out of production, so I had to source the pieces from two different retailers-- and luckily everything matched up. Sorry for the crummy shots, everything's in disarray with the move.

IMG_3548.thumb.jpg.ddc85b12f7002974035788c93b6e7337.jpg

IMG_3549.thumb.jpg.ddbc363e409254567f0071240ddb612e.jpg

WHOA!!!  I had no idea it was part of/matched a huge piece of furniture.  I LOVE that thing.  When I was in undergrad school, some of us had a large armoir-type piece of furniture that we affectionately called the "White Elephant" even though it was standard varnished oak in color.  It had rifle racks (don't ask), shelves, and storage space behind it with hinged doors on its sides.  I wish I had one, but I think they got scrapped when the old buildings were torn down and new ones replaced them.  That is beautiful and PERFECT for a bar area.

I think I like it better than the bottles you have sitting on it.

I should clarify I’ve seen this popping up online in pictures.

I am American but grew up on the border in Buffalo and went to school with a lot of Canadians and spent plenty of time in Canada and still get across at least once a year.

How easy is it to pick up a Lot 40 CS or this? Is it something often on the shelf?

Ah I see! So you're getting the best of both worlds! You probably get better selection for bourbon than we do here.

For the liquor store that I go to, it's fairly easy! There has been a lot of inventory for both. I don't think the lot 40 CS is selling that well, especially since they raised the price to almost $100. When you can get the Alberta premium CS for 64.99. It's a no brainer to get the Alberta premium.

I tried this at a spirits festival last month and loved it.  My brother in Alberta picked up a couple of bottles for me and I understand it is being rolled out across Canada.
I agree! It's a great tasting whiskey! I'm honestly surprised that alberta premium is even offering this. I would have never guessed how much Canadian whiskey is bringing it, I'm excited to see future releases from all brands.
  • I like it 1

Couldn't refuse this one, all six sold in a weird frenzy during my few moments at the shop.

IMG_3564.thumb.jpg.950f86d805c8335383e795dc06249ae4.jpg

• I like it 1

Last pickups before hitting the airport— been window shopping the Aultmore 21 all year so it was time to take the plunge. 

112FAB5B-A1FC-4672-AC06-AFCC493D07FA.thumb.jpeg.5c176f5ed8375df37ed18c69bc2be2c8.jpeg

• I like it 3

Not sure why these 2010 Special Releases are surfacing, but I've been looking for this Glen Spey for quite some time…

IMG_3582.thumb.jpg.f4e581e18a916745b425ea7c03e48339.jpg

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Not sure why these 2010 Special Releases are surfacing, but I've been looking for this Glen Spey for quite some time…

Looks quite intriguing but I confess I know nothing about it.

Stopped in to a local cigar/spirits/wine shop yesterday to pick up these two bottles I had ordered after a tasting event there last Tuesday. As I mentioned in another thread, the Ledaig is a backup bottle to the one I have open and is a current favorite of mine. The Longmorn is my first bottle from that distillery. Un-chill filtered Speyside aged in a bourbon barrel is very good!

tinderbox.jpg

The store owner then came out with these 3 opened bottles from various tastings. Said he was cleaning out a few things from the backroom and thought I'd appreciate getting them. There's about 2" in the first two and 3" in the third. One helluva nice gesture on his part IMO! (That and he knows this kind of thing will keep me coming back :) ) In these days of so many stores treating their customers like crap, it's great to have a place that appreciates its customers and treats you like family.  

Samples.jpg

Edited by Vosgar
  • I like it 7

45 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Stopped in to a local cigar/spirits/wine shop yesterday to pick up these two bottles I had ordered after a tasting event there last Tuesday. As I mentioned in another thread, the Ledaig is a backup bottle to the one I have open and is a current favorite of mine. The Longmorn is my first bottle from that distillery. Un-chill filtered Speyside aged in a bourbon barrel is very good!

tinderbox.jpg

The store owner then came out with these 3 opened bottles from various tastings. Said he was cleaning out a few things from the backroom and thought I'd appreciate getting them. There's about 2" in the first two and 3" in the third. One helluva nice gesture on his part IMO! (That and he knows this kind of thing will keep me coming back :) ) In these days of so many stores treating their customers like crap, it's great to have a place that appreciates its customers and treats you like family.  

Samples.jpg

That’s what it’s all about— I’m actually on a run today bringing holiday gifts to my favorite liquor store owners and bartenders. What goes around becomes “a round.”

I need to make one of those Winebow Group events— the PS bottles I have from them are splendid and too far between. 

• I like it 3

On 12/7/2019 at 3:56 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

WHOA!!!  I had no idea it was part of/matched a huge piece of furniture.  I LOVE that thing.  When I was in undergrad school, some of us had a large armoir-type piece of furniture that we affectionately called the "White Elephant" even though it was standard varnished oak in color.  It had rifle racks (don't ask), shelves, and storage space behind it with hinged doors on its sides.  I wish I had one, but I think they got scrapped when the old buildings were torn down and new ones replaced them.  That is beautiful and PERFECT for a bar area.

I think I like it better than the bottles you have sitting on it.

Moved the bar to the new space today, here are some long shots to give you a better idea of the appearance. The foot rail has been  removed from the front piece. By the way, moving sucks. 

9CA3C5D2-1520-40D8-9D8D-AE42935A187D.thumb.jpeg.12304bcb6465472a16e3fe11447a2d1c.jpeg

ADDA2692-94AC-42F0-BC11-7CCC952ECA2C.thumb.jpeg.f877d55d32935a6e99ae70b60b91587c.jpeg

• I like it 6

Always had a hankering for this one— surprised that’s it’s still in production. Hope it tastes better than it spins. 

2DE66474-69AB-4F1D-A17C-34C8DB6116CB.thumb.jpeg.c77d261102cf36dfdcdf3671341a4122.jpeg

• I like it 1

On 12/19/2019 at 5:32 AM, beasled said:

Restocked some faves and picked up a couple of newbies too.

20191219_111945.jpg

What a great set of 10s— all well balanced and heartily representative of their respective distillery. The Ben Nevis 10 is the Steve McQueen of Scotch. 

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

What a great set of 10s— all well balanced and heartily representative of their respective distillery. The Ben Nevis 10 is the Steve McQueen of Scotch. 

Thanks, the Ben Nevis is a new one for me, looking forward to cracking it! 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.