Jump to content
pachary

Distillery Whirlwind Tour

Recommended Posts

pachary

My better half and I are going on a rather ambitiously scheduled distillery tour trip next week.

 

I'll try to update this thread as we go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Richnimrod
On 10/3/2019 at 2:50 PM, pachary said:

 

My better half and I are going on a rather ambitiously scheduled distillery tour trip next week.

 

I'll try to update this thread as we go.

 

Good Luck!    A small bit of advice from an old busy-body; but, with some experience....

Don't over-schedule yourselves to the point that you're rushing through those tours . . . and especially the gift shops.   Take full advantage of the time before, during and after the tours to acquaint yourselves with distillery personnel.   Ask any questions you can think of, and listen to all the answers to everybody else's questions (often more interesting information therein than in the generic stuff in the prepared scripts for those tours).

Don't drink too much and then drive too fast to arrive on time for the next tour... you might never make it!    

ENJOY the experiences!    The bottles you may snag are nice; but the memories are more durable than any whiskey, which only lasts 'til the bottle runs dry. . . which, if it's good Bourbon doesn't usually take very long...HA!

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pachary

Thank you Rich

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vosgar
On 10/3/2019 at 1:50 PM, pachary said:

 

My better half and I are going on a rather ambitiously scheduled distillery tour trip next week.

IMHO, ambitiously scheduled = a high potential for burnout and not being able to fully appreciate each distillery. Take your time and enjoy yourselves. The distilleries (at least the major ones) aren't going anywhere

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pachary

Gotcha. Thanks for the advice. We will see how these go.

I think I have 2-3 a day planned. Only one on Sunday. And all evenings are open for R&R.

Won’t be the last trip up there. We will re-evaluate for next time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe

Just, don’t miss Maker’s Mark...  :D

 

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lcpfratn
Just, don’t miss Maker’s Mark...  
 

I can’t emphasize Joe’s comment enough, especially if you are an art lover at all. Maker’s always has art on display anyway, including their Dale Chihuly hallway between the tasting rooms and the gift shop, but right now they also have a tremendous Stephen Powell exhibit scattered throughout the visitor center and the rick-houses. Here are a few pictures from my recent visit.
IMG_6514.JPGIMG_6568.JPGIMG_6549.JPGIMG_6527.JPGIMG_6556.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
geclbxf

and if your going to Maker's - go to limestone branch distillery.   Just up the (narrow) windy road.

 

Couldn't agree more - 2 a day is usually best with a nice lunch in between the 2 stops.

 

Enjoy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PowderKeg

3-4 tours per day is not unreasonable or rushing IF you plan/purchase the stops well in advance AND stick to a nexus town each day - ie Bardstown area, downtown Louisville area, Frankfort/Millville/Lawrenceburg area, etc.  Plan your trip to start as early as possible with the first tour-of-the-day and move N-S/E-W as logic dictates.  Do NOT assume that tours start or end exactly on time (they don't), and ALWAYS allow at least 125%+ time Google Maps says it will take to cover distances between stops.  As others have said, don't cut your timing between stops to mere minutes - allow extra time to enjoy/see the area, not just race thru it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pachary

Thank you all for the advice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pachary

Day 1-10/10/19


Went to 4Roses and Bulliet on the drive into Louisville.

4Roses-pretty facility, light tour, got a rocks glass with tasting. $10, would recommend for fans and glass was nice touch. I got a barrel pick bottle picked by master distiller (OBSV).

Bulliet- brand new state of the art facility. Impressive sight and story for such a young brand with market share they have. Tasting was very educational. $20 per person no glass . No special bottles.

We go to Barton's, Lux, Heaven Hill, Angels and Michters today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pachary

Silver Dollar bar in Louisville. MUST GO! Unfreaking believable selection of hard to get stuff.

 

Van Winkles, Elijah Crags, Angels casks Michter’s 10-20-toasted-Single Barrel.

 

In an old fire house.

 

Awesome burgers

IMG_5270.JPG.f02f462dde3cf8a13abedb899b086f21.JPGIMG_5271.JPG.b1d61a118ea84a17ce6537c0f5290649.JPG

Bottom 3 shelves all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
smokinjoe
3 hours ago, pachary said:

Silver Dollar bar in Louisville. MUST GO! Unfreaking believable selection of hard to get stuff.

 

Van Winkles, Elijah Crags, Angels casks Michter’s 10-20-toasted-Single Barrel.

 

In an old fire house.

 

Awesome burgers

IMG_5270.JPG.f02f462dde3cf8a13abedb899b086f21.JPGIMG_5271.JPG.b1d61a118ea84a17ce6537c0f5290649.JPG

Bottom 3 shelves all emoji1634.png

Looks like it’s Christmas every day!  :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pachary

Sorry folks. I have failed miserably. I had every intention to update daily with details. Quite frankly I’m on vacation and LAZY!


Heading home and boss lady is driving. Here is a list of what we hit. We drove in Thursday evening and left Monday afternoon.

1. 4Roses-tour and tasting
2. Bulliet (new Shelbyville location)-you and tasting
3. Barton’s-tour and tasting
4. Lux Row-tour and tasting
5. Heaven Hill -tour and tasting
6. Angels Envy -tour and tasting
7. Michter’s -tour and tasting
8. Jim Beam Urban Stillhouse-tasting
9. Stitzel/Weller -tour and tasting
10. Evan William -tour and tasting
11. Old Forester -tour and tasting
12. Jim Beam American Stillhouse -tour and tasting
13. Rabbit Hole-tasting
14. Willet -tour and tasting
15. Wild Turkey-gift shop visit
16. Woodford-tasting
17. Buffalo Trace -tour and tasting with ROCKSTAR FREDDY JOHNSON!!!! 1 hr tour was over 2 hours long! Highlight of trip.
18. Bardstown Bourbon-tasting/lunch

IMG_5401.JPGIMG_5403.JPG

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ccleve23
29 minutes ago, pachary said:

Sorry folks. I have failed miserably. I had every intention to update daily with details. Quite frankly I’m on vacation and LAZY!


Heading home and boss lady is driving. Here is a list of what we hit. We drove in Thursday evening and left Monday afternoon.

1. 4Roses-tour and tasting
2. Bulliet (new Shelbyville location)-you and tasting
3. Barton’s-tour and tasting
4. Lux Row-tour and tasting
5. Heaven Hill -tour and tasting
6. Angels Envy -tour and tasting
7. Michter’s -tour and tasting
8. Jim Beam Urban Stillhouse-tasting
9. Stitzel/Weller -tour and tasting
10. Evan William -tour and tasting
11. Old Forester -tour and tasting
12. Jim Beam American Stillhouse -tour and tasting
13. Rabbit Hole-tasting
14. Willet -tour and tasting
15. Wild Turkey-gift shop visit
16. Woodford-tasting
17. Buffalo Trace -tour and tasting with ROCKSTAR FREDDY JOHNSON!!!! 1 hr tour was over 2 hours long! Highlight of trip.
18. Bardstown Bourbon-tasting/lunch

IMG_5401.JPGIMG_5403.JPG

I am exhausted just trying to figure out how you fit all that in.  I was in KY a month ago and I thought 4 in one day was tough.  Good on you and it looks like you had a great time.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Richnimrod

DUDE!!!!    🤩 

You accomplished a Herculean amount of "distillery touring" in a rather brief amount of time.   Pachary, my hat is off in abject apology for doubting that you'd be able to do even half that!   😰

YOU ARE DA MAN (And His Better Half, of course!)!!!  🤗

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pachary

The 9AM-5PMs were pretty busy. But after those hours we really relaxed and unwound.

One evening hit the Silver Dollar. Holy smokes
IMG_1084.jpg
IMG_1085.jpg
Bottom 3 shelves all bourbon. They had all of the Van Winkles, all of multiple years BTAC, 6 years of Angels cask strength, Michters-Toasted, Barrel Strength, 10yr and 20yr, multiple Old Fitz. Just mind boggling.

Another night went to Feast BBQ, same folks own Royals hot chicken. Crazy bourbon selection.

One other was called The Garage Bar. It's a hipster kind of pizza joint/bar. I got a WLW there. First for me.

We definitely enjoyed the trip. The next one will be a little less ambitious!

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute
6 minutes ago, pachary said:

The 9AM-5PMs were pretty busy. But after those hours we really relaxed and unwound.

One evening hit the Silver Dollar. Holy smokes
IMG_1084.jpg
IMG_1085.jpg
Bottom 3 shelves all bourbon. They had all of the Van Winkles, all of multiple years BTAC, 6 years of Angels cask strength, Michters-Toasted, Barrel Strength, 10yr and 20yr, multiple Old Fitz. Just mind boggling.

Another night went to Feast BBQ, same folks own Royals hot chicken. Crazy bourbon selection.

One other was called The Garage Bar. It's a hipster kind of pizza joint/bar. I got a WLW there. First for me.

We definitely enjoyed the trip. The next one will be a little less ambitious!

You hit a bunch of my favorite places to eat. Good work!

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pachary
You hit a bunch of my favorite places to eat. Good work!


Believe it or not the meals (except Silver Dollar) were "accidental"!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...