Larceny Barrel Proof

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Posted the Label for this one the other day, word is this will be three releases a year at $49.99, have to say I am excited for this.

• I like it 5

Doing backflips over here!  Really looking forward to this release.  

• I like it 1

I like the NCF but I’m almost thinking I’d rather have a 10+ age statement over barrel proof.

• I like it 1

I'd certainly be a buyer at that price!    Age-be-damned, NCF high-proof...YUP! I'm In!

• I like it 2

38 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

I like the NCF but I’m almost thinking I’d rather have a 10+ age statement over barrel proof.

There's always Rebel Yell 10 or the Old Fitz BIB Decanters if you can find one and stomach the price. 

• I like it 1

I've had such bad luck with Larceny that I'm firmly in the skeptical crowd here. The last bottle I had was so bad that it couldn't be blended into something decent. It took a mediocre RY10 and made it bad as well.

They first unveiled the Larceny at BP for the KBA, I think last year. (May have been this year). A friend on that pick said it wasn't that good.

So..........I'm me so I'll surely buy one to see if NCF and the possibility of better barrel selection results in a better bourbon.

We'll see!

• I like it 1

I'd certainly be a buyer at that price!    Age-be-damned, NCF high-proof...YUP! I'm In!

No totally agree, definitely a buyer I enjoy HH wheaters and this is no cheaper than OWA.

Just want to some of that VSOF goodness with NCF.
  • I like it 1

There's always Rebel Yell 10 or the Old Fitz BIB Decanters if you can find one and stomach the price. 

Yup, I still have a few and even my bad barrels I thought where good of RY10.

I’m not a buyer of OF BIB decanters.

I generally agree with Flahute about Larceny, but one of my hopeful theories about why I don't like Larceny is that the proof isn't high enough to get the necessary flavor density, so... 

It's a good thing for SOMEONE at the very least every time proof gets bumped up, so I applaud this release.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, flahute said:

I've had such bad luck with Larceny that I'm firmly in the skeptical crowd here. The last bottle I had was so bad that it couldn't be blended into something decent. It took a mediocre RY10 and made it bad as well.

They first unveiled the Larceny at BP for the KBA, I think last year. (May have been this year). A friend on that pick said it wasn't that good.

So..........I'm me so I'll surely buy one to see if NCF and the possibility of better barrel selection results in a better bourbon.

We'll see!

I'm in a similar spot here as I don't care at all for Larceny.  As a side I don't care much for MM either and I enjoy MMCS.

1 hour ago, JoeTerp said:

I'm in a similar spot here as I don't care at all for Larceny.  As a side I don't care much for MM either and I enjoy MMCS.

We are almost aligned. I also don’t like MM as I find it to be too young. On MMCS, it depends on the batch. Most I also find to be too young. 

• I like it 1

18 minutes ago, flahute said:

We are almost aligned. I also don’t like MM as I find it to be too young. On MMCS, it depends on the batch. Most I also find to be too young. 

well admittedly I don't try that many batches and my open bottle is a 15-03.

4 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

I generally agree with Flahute about Larceny, but one of my hopeful theories about why I don't like Larceny is that the proof isn't high enough to get the necessary flavor density, so... 

It's a good thing for SOMEONE at the very least every time proof gets bumped up, so I applaud this release.

4 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

These.  And the MM Private Selections at barrel proof have been pretty tasty.  While I'm hoping to try it before buying it, if I see it on a shelf prior to that opportunity, I'm pulling the trigger.

I’m sure I’ve made plenty of worse mistakes than paying $50 to try this. I only fear that it won’t even be readily available at that price. I’m sure HH and the distributors will tell retailers that this is a special LE of some sort and it will be gouged in some places and behind the counter in many areas. I’m just thinking of how ECBP was for the first few years, and it being another barrel proof HH offering has certain parallels. Add in that this is a wheater and the amount of morons out there that think only wheaters can be true whalezzzzz of whiskey and I’m a little afraid. 

Now, ECBP has become more consistently available and often on shelves for fair prices, but again that took a few years. “Heaven” forbid there are a few prominent reviews and social media claims that this stuff is liquid gold and “better than Weller Full Proof anyway so don’t worry if you missed out on that and stalk every store for this instead bro” and the shit show will surely follow..... 

• I like it 2

I'm not a huge fan of Larceny myself.  I will say the parallel to MM is a good one.  Expecting a better product from the BP.

In August, we were in KY for a couple picks, and filled some spare time at HH.  The basic tour there is less than ideal for anyone but folks that are their first tour, and trying their first bourbon, but there was a highlight.  As we wandered a rickhouse, there was a barrel pick going on right off our path.  One generous soul was nice enough to pour a couple glasses of the barrel they were sampling and share with the few of us on the tour.  Turned out to be a barrel of Larceny, and was pretty tasty there in the rickhouse...

• I like it 2

18 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

Now, ECBP has become more consistently available and often on shelves for fair prices, but again that took a few years. 

Do you not have a few years?

6 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Do you not have a few years?

Ha! Yes I certainly have a few years worth of good bourbon on hand. Thankfully

Maybe I’ll be wrong on this one and it won’t turn into a hyped up and hard to find release. That’d be nice for once

• I like it 1

On 10/11/2019 at 5:51 AM, BottledInBond said:

Now, ECBP has become more consistently available and often on shelves for fair prices, but again that took a few years.

Still waiting for this to happen in the Bay Area.  ECBP arrives sporadically and goes quickly here.  It's not a unicorn but certainly not something you can just walk in and pick up at most liquor stores like you can with Booker's.

22 hours ago, fosmith said:

Still waiting for this to happen in the Bay Area.  ECBP arrives sporadically and goes quickly here.  It's not a unicorn but certainly not something you can just walk in and pick up at most liquor stores like you can with Booker's.

Sounds like you should visit MN. Or order from one of the MN stores that ships.....

4 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

Sounds like you should visit MN. Or order from one of the MN stores that ships.....

Would love to visit MN again.  Made a number of visits to Minneapolis when my son was a student at the U and really love the city.  Didn't have time to do any bourbon hunting on those visits, tho.  But, I did enjoy watching the Gophers dominate Nebraska 34-7 yesterday and improve to 6-0. 

I've tried to find MN stores that ship without success.  Do you know of any that I could hook up with?  Would appreciate any tips. 

1 hour ago, fosmith said:

Would love to visit MN again.  Made a number of visits to Minneapolis when my son was a student at the U and really love the city.  Didn't have time to do any bourbon hunting on those visits, tho.  But, I did enjoy watching the Gophers dominate Nebraska 34-7 yesterday and improve to 6-0. 

I've tried to find MN stores that ship without success.  Do you know of any that I could hook up with?  Would appreciate any tips. 

Ace Spirits and France 44 both ship for sure. Might be others 

• 1 month later...

Has anyone seen this at $49.99?  I've only seen it for twice that price at respectable stores in Louisville. 

On 10/8/2019 at 8:48 PM, The Black Tot said:

Welp.......I tried three single barrels of this on a barrel pick last week and I have to say that they were all disappointing. In fact, the only barrel that had a shot at being selected actually got better with water added. It wasn't enough though so we passed altogether. Larceny remains a big miss for me. It seriously needs a couple more years in the barrel I think.

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.