Larceny Barrel Proof

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A120 can be still found in my area easily. Maybe I should grab a replacement. Was the B drastically different, anyone?

1 hour ago, Kane said:

A120 can be still found in my area easily. Maybe I should grab a replacement. Was the B drastically different, anyone?

I haven't personally had either, but I've heard from friends that they were very different (and that B was much better).

7 hours ago, k-train said:

I heard good things about the LBP B520 & really wanted to get a bottle when it was here in NC ABC stores back in June. Because I didn't realize how small the allocation for NC was going to be. I foolishly thought that I could come back later and grab a bottle & thus passed on it. Needless to say, I never got my hands on one.

The state's warehouse inventory started showing a new listing last week that must be for the upcoming C920 release. It's showing it as being much hotter than the previous two batches, coming in at 132 proof.

Although higher proof and “hotter” do not necessarily occur in a linear relationship. So it would be a mistake to judge It on that basis alone.

3 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Although higher proof and “hotter” do not necessarily occur in a linear relationship. So it would be a mistake to judge It on that basis alone.

Fair point. I was just going on the presumption it would be hotter based on how HH's higher proof ECBP releases were compared to the B520. But yeah, just speculation on my end as on now.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys but you have false info on C920.  C920 proof is 122.4 proof, almost identical to B520.  I loved B520 and am waiting to find a C920.

• 2 months later...

Hit up on this tonight, and it continues to be very good whiskey for me.  It’s like a cross between the juiciness of higher proof Weller and the dryness of Makers (which standard Larceny is closer to in profile).  Generally speaking, I enjoy the standard Larceny, but this barrel proof brings more overall flavor to the table that goes beyond the proof bump.  

On 9/3/2020 at 9:27 AM, BtownTaster said:

Sorry guys but you have false info on C920.  C920 proof is 122.4 proof, almost identical to B520.  I loved B520 and am waiting to find a C920.

Probably a bit late to correct, but ECBP C920 is clocking in at 132.8 proof. Larceny C920 is at 122.4 proof though. 

And be sure to check your bottles of Larceny BP when you buy.  Whiskey Advocate's #1 Whiskey of the Year (2020) is the Larceny Barrel Proof Batch B520, not C920 which is currently for sale on most shelves.  Had to let some folks know before they bought (they were sooo happy to find WA's choice for Whiskey of the Year, sorry).   ?

2 hours ago, flahute said:

Thank god the whiskey of the year is something I don't like. Go crazy taters.

Hahah Indeed. I have not tried the Larceny in any form. If I stumble onto the B520 I would buy one for sh*^ts & giggles.

I have really been enjoying the Whiskey Advocate #2 this year. KC 12yo 100. Well deserved kudos on this one. Extremely flavorful and well balanced for the 60$ price point. I could easily see another couple of these in the bunker to survive the coming Covidacolipse. 

The signs here we're finally going to live up to the worst imaginations we've been living with since March. Ick. Stay safe guys.   I wish I could say drinking 100 proof kills it off- but so far no credibility for that statement, other than raw desire for it to be so... 

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, flahute said:

Thank god the whiskey of the year is something I don't like. Go crazy taters.

No kidding!  Have at it!

• I like it 1

I wish WA (and all the other ratings sources and whiskey awards shows) would just go back to rating whiskies that already start with absurdly high retail prices that nobody will ever see, much less ever be able to buy.

That way decent, affordable whiskies don’t suddenly turn into the newest tater bait, and more importantly the latest target for the SOB MFing flippers to make unavailable in your local store.

? 

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I wish WA (and all the other ratings sources and whiskey awards shows) would just go back to rating whiskies that already start with absurdly high retail prices that nobody will ever see, much less ever be able to buy.

That way decent, affordable whiskies don’t suddenly turn into the newest tater bait, and more importantly the latest target for the SOB MFing flippers to make unavailable in your local store.

? 

I hadn't thought of it that way but yes to this sentiment!

Maybe an early campaign for JIm Beam White as WOTY for 2021 is in order. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

I saw the B520 on the shelf several months back at a local Meijer.  I haven't seen it or C920 since.  I guess that will continue to be the case now.  I passed then because I am not a fan of standard Larceny.  However, if I see a B520 on the shelf for the same price as I saw back then ($50), I will probably grab one just so I can say tried it.  I still see bottles of KC12 around $50.

On 12/4/2020 at 6:18 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

? 

Yeah but John Hansell got a lot of flack back when he was editor/publisher for that very thing.  Everyone bitched because they could get/afford any of their top picks.  No matter what they do, somebody will be pissed. 

1 hour ago, BigRich said:

Yeah but John Hansell got a lot of flack back when he was editor/publisher for that very thing.  Everyone bitched because they could get/afford any of their top picks.  No matter what they do, somebody will be pissed. 

I would rather be pissed about what I could never get in the first place than about what I should be able to get but can’t thanks to WA et al!

• I like it 1

52 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I would rather be pissed about what I could never get in the first place than about what I should be able to get but can’t thanks to WA et al!

You rock, Bruce - don't hold back on 'em now.  ?

"Forget it, he's rolling!"   ?

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

Saw 2 cases of LBP showed up on the NC ABC warehouse inventory site yesterday. Then today, someone in a FB group posted a photo of a bottle of A121 they picked up at a store in Raleigh. So I guess that’s starting to roll out already.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.