Fred Effect?

Shizzy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So maybe you saw it, maybe you read about it or maybe you don't care.  But Mr. Minnick has given high praise to another great bourbon and it makes me wonder if it will soon go the way of Henry McKenna?  Is it Fred's words or was it the winning of double gold at the SF Spirit awards? I reckon we'll soon find out. 

In case you didn't hear or read about what I'm referencing, Fred Minnick blind tasted thirteen bourbons, including this year's release of BTAC and Rare Breed came out on top according to him.

Now, we can all argue the merits of one's palate when tasting that many high proof expressions in a short period of time and whether or not any of this is really meaningful in the end.  I just hope for my drinking pleasure's sake that it doesn't mean I won't be able to find it on the shelf in six more months.

Cheers all.

I figured it would be RR10. The jackass effect.I think WT will be less apt to “play along “ than HH was. 

• I like it 1

In the long run, it's a good thing.

What a whiskey maker sells out of, they invest in making more of.

No whiskey company board room EVER said "Hey, let's discontinue that line that sells out every time we put a bottle on a shelf"

I remember a few years ago when people said they were afraid they'd discontinue McKenna at any moment because nobody bought it and why should HH bother to keep bottling 100 proof 10yr whiskey when nobody was willing to pay for it?

OK, so today HMcK is slammed, but the flock of the Fredheads(TM) to it means that bourbon's future is probably secured for the next 10 years at least. WAY out into the coming mass maturation wave and resulting glut.

It's the Ben Kenobi effect - "If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could ever imagine"

Plus, WT seems to have a LOT of barrels. Unlike Booker's, OWA, ECBP, HMcK, Age International offerings, or 4R barrel picks - RR private barrels seem to never exhaust their rackhouses.

They might just be able to handle the volume if Fred swaps his cravat for a turkey feather boa.

• I like it 7

8 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

No whiskey company board room EVER said "Hey, let's discontinue that line that sells out every time we put a bottle on a shelf"

I remember a few years ago when people said they were afraid they'd discontinue McKenna at any moment because nobody bought it and why should HH bother to keep bottling 100 proof 10yr whiskey when nobody was willing to pay for it?

OK, so today HMcK is slammed, but the flock of the Fredheads(TM) to it means that bourbon's future is probably secured for the next 10 years at least. WAY out into the coming mass maturation wave and resulting glut.

It's the Ben Kenobi effect - "If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could ever imagine"

Plus, WT seems to have a LOT of barrels. Unlike Booker's, OWA, ECBP, HMcK, Age International offerings, or 4R barrel picks - RR private barrels seem to never exhaust their rackhouses.

They might just be able to handle the volume if Fred swaps his cravat for a turkey feather boa.

Now if we could just get WT to NCF it...

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Cough...cough...HHBIB 6 yr...AAA 10 yr...

It’s hard enough getting that cravat image out of my head.  PLEASE don’t even give him the inkling to consider a feather boa.  

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

I need to slow down when reading your posts.  I thought, "What does masturbation have to do with bourbon?"  Oh, mass maturation.  Never mind.:)

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

I need to slow down when reading your posts.  I thought, "What does masturbation have to do with bourbon?"  Oh, mass maturation.  Never mind.:)

Retirement getting to ya’ Kevin?  ?

Biba! Joe

8 hours ago, FreddyC said:

It'd be nice if people jumped off the McKenna bandwagon....I'd like to be able to find it again. 

I couldn't agree more. Im just happy to have a bottle with a barrel date with my wife and my first date. 

• I like it 2

12 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Cough...cough...HHBIB 6 yr...AAA 10 yr...

It’s hard enough getting that cravat image out of my head.  PLEASE don’t even give him the inkling to consider a feather boa.  

Both of those brands sat unloved on many shelves for a very long time. They weren't getting cleared as soon as the case tape got cut.

I'll hold back on my suggestion of the diamond encrusted barrel earrings.

5 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

I'll hold back on my suggestion of the diamond encrusted barrel earrings.

Yikes!  My eyes, my eyes - that which has been seen cannot be unseen.   ?

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, FreddyC said:

It'd be nice if people jumped off the McKenna bandwagon....I'd like to be able to find it again. 

That raises an interesting question - has that ever happened (recently anyway), where a brand got popular for whatever reason, but then later people abandoned it?  The first part happens all the time, but I can't recall the second ever happening...

18 hours ago, dcbt said:

That raises an interesting question - has that ever happened (recently anyway), where a brand got popular for whatever reason, but then later people abandoned it?  The first part happens all the time, but I can't recall the second ever happening...

ECBP seems to be on shelves with increasing regularity these days, and not at double retail either.

Stagg Jr has become an accepted presence at retail for most people.

I think we're going to see more brands get "abandoned" once the number of bottles in the "must buy" basket gets big enough that it becomes too expensive or too much hassle to keep up. Right now we seem to have:

ETL

RHF

Blanton's

OWA

W12

HMcK

1792 Sweet Wheat is probably more of a limited rather than a brand, but it feels like it's on the border.

M10 bourbon and rye

Willett's output is too small to make a dent.

That's 8 or 9 waves of releases every year that must get cleared. If you combine the annual output of all of those brands, that's already a large volume of bottles for the public to absorb, and rising.  Every time you add a bottle to the FOMO list, you increase the amount of bottles that the public must feverishly buy. 

This must have a volume limit somewhere - We might not be close to it at present, but add a few more and we might be. 

I don't know the proportion of Age International brands that are produced, but it seems like there's more Blanton's than the others. So that might be the first to come back to regular availability. It seems to have been one of the last to be snuffed out, and still survives in pockets of duty frees etc where ETL would never last.

• I like it 3

On 10/13/2019 at 3:40 AM, The Black Tot said:

ECBP seems to be on shelves with increasing regularity these days, and not at double retail either.

I think we're going to see more brands get "abandoned" once the number of bottles in the "must buy" basket gets big enough that it becomes too expensive or too much hassle to keep up. Right now we seem to have:

ETL

RHF

Blanton's

OWA

W12

HMcK

1792 Sweet Wheat is probably more of a limited rather than a brand, but it feels like it's on the border.

M10 bourbon and rye

That's 8 or 9 waves of releases every year that must get cleared. If you combine the annual output of all of those brands, that's already a large volume of bottles for the public to absorb, and rising.  Every time you add a bottle to the FOMO list, you increase the amount of bottles that the public must feverishly buy. 

This must have a volume limit somewhere - We might not be close to it at present, but add a few more and we might be. 

I don't know the proportion of Age International brands that are produced, but it seems like there's more Blanton's than the others. So that might be the first to come back to regular availability. It seems to have been one of the last to be snuffed out, and still survives in pockets of duty frees etc where ETL would never last.

Thank you so much for sending out this list, BT!    Now I don't have to create one of those tediously long and demanding shopping lists!   :)

I'll just print out this post, add the requisite BTAC, Pappy, 4-R SmBLE, WTMK, Little Book, Booker's, Old Fitz, Parker's Heritage and...Jeeez, my finger is already tiring out... I know there are way more, and I WILL get 'em all on my "must buy" list (I promise); but, for now I need a break.   ?

Again; Thanx for the start-off at least, Paul.

• I like it 1

On 10/13/2019 at 2:40 AM, The Black Tot said:

ETL

RHF

Blanton's

OWA

W12

HMcK

M10 bourbon and rye

Serious question: where I the US is Stagg Jr regularly on the shelf? Sincere thank you. 

1 hour ago, TimeWillTell said:

Serious question: where I the US is Stagg Jr regularly on the shelf? Sincere thank you. 

Seattle.

1 hour ago, TimeWillTell said:

Fairly regularly in and around WashDC with WIDE price range.  When offered at $99 per 750 which is the upper range here, it seems to sit on the shelf awhile.  At the lowest price I usually see here - $55 to $65, it disappears pretty quickly.

5 hours ago, TimeWillTell said:

Used to be all over Texas. Even my friends who don't try at all have it on their bar there.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.