Opened My Most Cherished Bottle

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Back in 1998, I purchased what has been since, my most cherished bottle of bourbon.  I brought it home then, took it out of its box, placed a sticker on the front of it, and slid it back into its box.  Upon closing, I put a small Post-It note over the top that read:

Open

October 12, 2019.  

And then, put it away in the bunker...

I pulled out the box a week ago in anticipation of finally opening it.  A healthy coating of dust on the top, and the Post-It note still clinging steadfastly with its directive.  

I was a couple days late, but I finally got to open it last night, 21 years and 2 days later.  I was late because the person who I wanted to open it with was out of town over the weekend, which happened to include the 12th, and had just returned.  So I had to wait until last night to finally open it, and share a pour with her.  That “her” is my darling, beautiful, and brilliant, Littlesmokinjoe, who is now all of 21.  I am Blessed to have this moment with her and her equally special and beautiful mother, Mrssmokinjoe.  

My God, it seems like yesterday that I put this bottle away...2019 seemed like an eternity away.  

One of the pics below is her climbing out of a half Whiskey barrel at 3ish.  She obviously knew the way to her Daddy’s heart!  :D

So, Happy 21st Birthday my Little Angel.  And, thank you for sharing that greatest of pours of my life with your Daddy.  

8B2B2082-216F-4A64-A5A1-C0195829EBC0.jpeg

45BD51BD-615A-4755-A6E7-F81FC2F26501.jpeg

CB261271-8A7A-4886-AD18-CF75B800DFAE.jpeg

F503B88B-F1C6-4292-A2C2-2E982DDEF74B.jpeg

93536A11-DF93-47F3-B1B0-8D5FA840AEC1.jpeg

D194BC0C-7167-4053-8383-F877F8816046.jpeg

FEE8BCB2-C6E0-4FA1-816D-4BA82F0ED29B.jpeg

60FD63E9-06BE-4D28-9C98-A29FE71A3CCE.jpeg

• I like it 45

Cheers to you and your family Joe, and Happy Birthday to your lovely daughter.

Biba! Joe

Great story Joe and wonderful pictures. Especially the one when your daughter was little :) 

Congratulations!!

Very nice!  I am getting close to this...  My twins are turning 18 in a week.  Only a few years away.  I don't have a special bottle or anything like that, but I can only imagine how you feel!  Thank you for sharing!

Happy Birthday Arielle. You got a pretty KOOL dad. Grab the bull by the horns, live BIG, and love as big as you live. 

Edited by FacePlant

Awesome story Joe.  I will be having a similar story in a little under 19 years from now.  When our daughter was pregnant with our 1st grandson I got him a bottle and gave it to my daughter at Christmas, to open on his 21st birthday.  Since it was 2017 and it was our 1st I got a bottle of Booker's 2017, Batch 1.  Good Lord willing on September 8, 2038 he and I will open the bottle and share a pour.

There's a great post Joe.

My son is four and a half, so I have plenty of time to get ready.  No doubt something good will be opened from my bunker in 2036. ?

Joe, what a fantastic and thoughtful 21st birthday celebration! Happy Birthday to your daughter! Well, did she like it neat...or did she have to add some cola?

Very cool. Thanks for sharing Joe.

Prost!   Phil 

Enjoy!  I have four similar bottles, two each for my two daughters.  At first, I got 2014 JDHS for my oldest since she was born during that holiday season.  Then I got a 2018 OFBB for my youngest because she was born right around when that came out.  But then I found an SAOS Rye dated 12/16/14, and a SFTB dated 8/27/18, so I couldn't pass up bottles with their exact birth dates.  Now they all sit in the bunker until 2035 and 2039. 

Edited by dcbt

VERY NICE, Joe! :)  The sentiment is wonderful, as I'm sure the experience was.   Thanx for posting the pics and the sentiment.   ?

One comment about those pics: the bottle is a nice one, and those two young ladies are undeniably pretty gals; but that dude with 'em isn't really adding much to the composition.... just sayin'....  ?

• I like it 1

Wow Joe, I’ve only know you and Arielle for 8 years and I can’t believe she’s already 21. I hope she enjoyed that moment with dad.

Did she cough and make a face or show her old man how to really drink bourbon ? [emoji6]

• I like it 2

Very cool. What makes a bottle really special is who you drink it with so I have no doubt this was a great one.

Edited by Jazz June

Wonderful story,  Joe.    I love the expression "It seems like it was only yesterday".    My own babies are grown and gone,  but  Mrs. Jazz hasn't aged a bit.    Funny thing about time . . . 

Edited by Jazzhead

1 hour ago, BigRich said:

Did she cough and make a face or show her old man how to really drink bourbon ? emoji6.png

Coughed and made a face because her slug father didn’t open the bottle a month ago and pour half out to give it proper air time ?. Happy Birthday Elle!

Thanks for the kind words, y’all.  It really was a special day.  She did enjoy it.  No scrunchy face, and finished her glass.  Sipped it slowly as if she had done th.....Wait a minute!!!!  ELLE!!!!!   :D

The presentation on these Maker’s VIP bottles are really nice, and I’m glad I had the foresight to have it made...and the patience to keep it sealed!  :)  

• I like it 10

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.