1986 Jack Daniels

Brodie LaFleur
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I won a 1.75L bottle of 1986 Jack Daniels and I'm wondering if there's any value to it?   It is still sealed.

Thanks,

Brodie

35 minutes ago, Brodie LaFleur said:

I won a 1.75L bottle of 1986 Jack Daniels and I'm wondering if there's any value to it?   It is still sealed.

Thanks,

Brodie

Couldn't say what it's worth without tasting it.    ;)

Give us your description of it's aroma, as well as it's palate, and maybe someone can say if it's worth pouring or not.   

Really the best estimation is your own.   Do you like it well enough to drink it neat?   Would you serve it on a special occasion to a special friend or relative?   That's the best way to place a value on a bottle of whiskey.

• I like it 2

Here we go again. <_<

We are Straightbourbon.com. What you seek isn’t what our site is all about. If you want to buy, sell, trade, or get a bottle appraised, this ain’t the place for you. Did you even bother to check out our site at all before you posted?  Did you actually read the site rules that you agreed to before becoming a member here?  Sorry to be so blunt, but.......<_<

Joe

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, Brodie LaFleur said:

I'm wondering if there's any value to it?  

No

16 hours ago, Brodie LaFleur said:

Thanks,

Brodie

It has not gotten any older than whatever age(if any) is stated on the bottle. That having been said, there are those who collect anything. On another forum I am on there are even folks who collect anvils. Go figure. Be aware however that trying to sell distilled spirits can get you in hot mash with the Feds.  You may try and get creative on some other list about a sealed possibly filled bottle, but why take the risk? Taste it and let us know what you think. Better yet get a current bottle and compare and let us know.

1986?  The short discussion above got me wondering just how “good” a year it was.

Movies – Top Gun, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, Stand By Me, Crocodile Dundee, The Color Purple, Blue Velvet, among others.

Events (thanks to Wiki) –

JAN – the Challenger Disaster

FEB – Halley’s Comet completes its journey TO the Sun and begins its trip AWAY from the Sun

MAR – MicroSoft’s IPO

APR – Chernobyl

MAY – Hands Across America (5 million+ people form a human chain from NYC to Long Beach CAL to raise money to fight hunger)

JUN – Eric Thomas develops LISTSERV, the first email list management software

JUL – Statue of Liberty reopens after a multiyear refurbishing

AUG – the cargo ship Khian Sea leaves Philly with 14,000 tons of toxic waste; its spends 16 months at sea being refused entry to many ports before Haiti agrees to take the waste (I always wondered what happened to it; now I know, and so do you)

SEP- Pan Am Flight 73 is hijacked in Karachi Pakistan by four Abu Nidal terrorists

OCT – NY Mets win the World Series, beating the Boston Red Sox in the seventh game

NOV – Iran-Contra Affair investigation begins, and Oliver North and Fawn Hall begin shredding documents

DEC – Rutan Voyager completes its circumnavigation of the Earth, becoming the first airplane to do so without refueling

AND FINALLY, a BOOZE note – 1986 is not noted as special as far as “port” is concerned; no major port House declared it as a vintage year (which only happens about 30% of the time, and not every House will declare even then), BUT a couple of Houses did declare 1986 as a Vintage Year for some of their Single Quintas (that is, for a particular vineyard, provided the wine from that vineyard is not blended with wine from others); BUT, 1985 was a killer year and most of the ports from that year are worth opening NOW

6 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

1986?  The short discussion above got me wondering just how “good” a year it was.

Movies – Top Gun, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, Stand By Me, Crocodile Dundee, The Color Purple, Blue Velvet, among others.

Events (thanks to Wiki) –

JAN – the Challenger Disaster

FEB – Halley’s Comet completes its journey TO the Sun and begins its trip AWAY from the Sun

MAR – MicroSoft’s IPO

APR – Chernobyl

MAY – Hands Across America (5 million+ people form a human chain from NYC to Long Beach CAL to raise money to fight hunger)

JUN – Eric Thomas develops LISTSERV, the first email list management software

JUL – Statue of Liberty reopens after a multiyear refurbishing

AUG – the cargo ship Khian Sea leaves Philly with 14,000 tons of toxic waste; its spends 16 months at sea being refused entry to many ports before Haiti agrees to take the waste (I always wondered what happened to it; now I know, and so do you)

SEP- Pan Am Flight 73 is hijacked in Karachi Pakistan by four Abu Nidal terrorists

OCT – NY Mets win the World Series, beating the Boston Red Sox in the seventh game

NOV – Iran-Contra Affair investigation begins, and Oliver North and Fawn Hall begin shredding documents

DEC – Rutan Voyager completes its circumnavigation of the Earth, becoming the first airplane to do so without refueling

AND FINALLY, a BOOZE note – 1986 is not noted as special as far as “port” is concerned; no major port House declared it as a vintage year (which only happens about 30% of the time, and not every House will declare even then), BUT a couple of Houses did declare 1986 as a Vintage Year for some of their Single Quintas (that is, for a particular vineyard, provided the wine from that vineyard is not blended with wine from others); BUT, 1985 was a killer year and most of the ports from that year are worth opening NOW

Got some extra time on your hands, Harry?  ?

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Got some extra time on your hands, Harry?  ?

He's retired. So........yes!

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.