Murray Effect

mross
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Ok, I sort of stole the title. What do you all think of this;

https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styles/bourbon/1792-full-proof-bourbon-earns-jim-murrays-2020-world-whisky-award/?utm_source=The+Whiskey+Wash+Newsletter&utm_campaign=3e003c5cd4-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_10_20_06_23&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_20c25ccf55-3e003c5cd4-126169017

I have not tried this one or even looked for it for that matter. Years ago I had read how good 1792 was. So I bought a bottle to try. I was underwhelming to say the least and in my bourbon pantheon is dead last. So did I miss something? Cause this guy seems to carry a bit of clout in the bourbon world. I have read his reviews and well find them a bit overwhelming, wondering if we are drinking the same stuff.

Everyone has a different palate.

and,

Whiskey writers (Like all writers) have to write about something to keep the audience interested.  If they wrote about the same thing all the time, they wouldn’t have an audience.

The other thing is that we are all on a discovery journey of sorts with this stuff.  When you discover something great, you get excited about and want to talk about it.

Another thing to keep in mind is that sometimes people get compensated by certain companies for endorsing their products.  I have no knowledge if that’s going on, just mentioning that it happens with any product.

Barton also makes (IMO), delicious whiskey, but FP is not my favorite product from them.  ??

Dont put too much importance on what people tell you/ read about.  Discover for yourself, using what you hear as a guideline.

• I like it 1

I have a store pick from Lincoln Road Package Store that I love.  I was fortunate enough to get two bottles.  The standard offering though?  Not sure it's worth of that accolade.  But hey, you taste what you taste on a given day.  Not sure if he blind tastes though.  I might put more stock in his findings if that were the case.

I've done two barrel picks of 1792 Full Proof over the last year and the first one is a fantastic pour but the other one is just a really good whiskey.....but neither would be contenders for the whiskey of the year and yet I like both over the standard "off the shelf" 1792 Full Proof that I've had in the past which I thought was perfectly fine bourbon but far from mind blowing.  

10 minutes ago, Shizzy said:

I have a store pick from Lincoln Road Package Store that I love.  I was fortunate enough to get two bottles.  The standard offering though?  Not sure it's worth of that accolade.  But hey, you taste what you taste on a given day.  Not sure if he blind tastes though.  I might put more stock in his findings if that were the case.

He does not taste blind. In the other Murray article on this site he explains why.

1 hour ago, mross said:

He does not taste blind. In the other Murray article on this site he explains why.

Here's the link to that thread that explains his method:

I don't think there's much of a Murray effect honestly.

As for this one, I have a Full Proof barrel pick that I participated in and I think it's a magnificent whiskey. Not whiskey of the year though. I'm certainly not going to rush out and grab a bottle because it got this award.

• I like it 1

Had a sample of 1792 full proof just this weekend.  It was okay to me.  I remember them”old days” when 1792 used to come with a piece of rope around the bottle neck...I think it was a much better product then...at least that is what my memory tells me.

• I like it 1

I've got a bottle of 1792 Full Proof bunkered;   I think I'll crack it once a spot opens up on my shelf.     A couple of months ago I was in California and brought a bottle of 1792 (regular edition) in a supermarket to bring to a family gathering.   I hadn't had any Barton juice in years and was pleasantly surprised how traditional and easy-drinking it was.    As for my own "bourbon of the year",  that award goes to (I)  Bookers (Backyard BBQ)  for rye recipe and (ii) McKenzie's Bottled in Bond  for wheated recipe.  

• I like it 1

I drank a bottle of the Full Proof and one of the Full Proof rye.   Both were just too sweet for me.  It's a relief that Murray is hawking something I don't care about for a change.

18 hours ago, ken_mays said:

I drank a bottle of the Full Proof and one of the Full Proof rye.   Both were just too sweet for me.  It's a relief that Murray is hawking something I don't care about for a change.

Didn't know they did a full proof rye... cool.

This and Rare Breed Rye coming out, we're really entering a rye lovers' golden era.

11 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Didn't know they did a full proof rye... cool.

This and Rare Breed Rye coming out, we're really entering a rye lovers' golden era.

I think he means the High Rye bourbon. I don't believe they do a rye.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, finally found one in a small LS that has a somewhat limited selection. I have not seen it since so the Murray effect may be happening.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.