Total wines new pappy btac system sucks

Broncophil
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Let my grand reserve membership lapse this year. 

Never did squat for me in Texas. Total Wine Texas got exactly zero BTAC or Pappy two years running.

I know wine is their primary focus (clue is in the name) but I really couldn't believe how little benefit there was to being GR as a whiskey customer.

• I like it 1

8 minutes ago, Broncophil said:

For ca grand reserve members there’s now a raffle on top of getting 25000 points. Screw them

Every year you come on here to say, screw them.  But, you keep going back...  

Indiana...Let it go...

• I like it 5

Maybe the plan is to give GR members early access to TW Winchester other terra pure single barrel picks. I’m assured by store employees that they are all delicious.

Edited by mal00768
  • I like it 3

I'm interested to see how the new program works out. Probably not well, initially. Their digital marketing people could use some more in-market time.

There are plenty of good bottles sitting on the shelves.  Buy one and have a drink. ?

Prost!   Phil 

Edited by Phil T
  • I like it 3

4 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Wasn’t it only about two years ago when grand reserve got you the entire lineup? At least in some states?

Not the entire lineup, but multiples  in some states, yes.

12 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Let my grand reserve membership lapse this year. 

Never did squat for me in Texas. Total Wine Texas got exactly zero BTAC or Pappy two years running.

I know wine is their primary focus (clue is in the name) but I really couldn't believe how little benefit there was to being GR as a whiskey customer.

Me too, same here, and same here again...

• I like it 1

I know there have been folks on my local groups not happy with this new system. I am sure their corporate management loves it though because of how it drives sales. We just got the TW rewards program about a year ago in MO and lots of bourbon drinkers have opened their wallets and burnt through at least $2000 each to obtain the GR status in hopes of scoring on these highly allocated bottles. Now they will have to wait for a lottery and hope to get picked just like when the old stand in line lottery system was in place. They will have unhappy customers that pissed away a bunch of money to get to GR status in hopes of getting a BTAC or Pappy for the sole purpose of flipping it for profit. Then there is the group that I fall into, which is I can't justify(according to my wife) spending that much $ on booze in a year so I get screwed out on a chance get a BTAC/Pappy bottle in a raffle now for my personal consumption.  

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, berto said:

What do I get for 270 points?

Weller Special Reserve if you're lucky.   ?

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, berto said:

What do I get for 270 points?

I think, if you bank them, then save that much again next year, you'll get a postage stamp for 500+ points.   

You can use it to mail away for the catalog of gifts from which to dream about the premium prizes you'll never qualify for.

• I like it 5

OP, you could have dropped a few words from your thread topic and saved us all some time. What you really meant to say is

Total Wine sucks

• I like it 2

You can get to grand reserve status very easily.  Just make sure to leverage the 8x points system with spirits and winery direct.  You can go zero to GR with about 312$.

Total wine is where I usually find the most allocated stuff due to my close proximity and the volume they get.   Have nothing bad to say about them in general.

• I like it 1

33 minutes ago, AndyD said:

You can get to grand reserve status very easily.  Just make sure to leverage the 8x points system with spirits and winery direct.  You can go zero to GR with about 312$.

Total wine is where I usually find the most allocated stuff due to my close proximity and the volume they get.   Have nothing bad to say about them in general.

So you must be one of those bottle stalkers

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

So you must be one of those bottle stalkers

In comparison to the average shopper?  Yes.  Compared to some here?  Not by any stretch.  

Living in Maryland and in somewhat close proximity to a TW, I go in about once a week or so. 

it’s about the only place you can find any allocated bottles that aren’t priced at secondary market prices. So it’s good for us. 

the new system is better than last years where you had to log in and purchase a bottle at a specific time during the week. 

On 11/3/2019 at 1:21 AM, AndyD said:

In comparison to the average shopper?  Yes.  Compared to some here?  Not by any stretch.  

On 11/3/2019 at 6:03 AM, ptman2000 said:

Living in Maryland and in somewhat close proximity to a TW, I go in about once a week or so. 

it’s about the only place you can find any allocated bottles that aren’t priced at secondary market prices. So it’s good for us. 

the new system is better than last years where you had to log in and purchase a bottle at a specific time during the week. 

All I know is that all the hard-to-find bottles are gone at Total Wine immediately because of bottle stalkers, aka tater behavior (for lack of a better term). The TW employees say they have people lined up outside before they open and all those bottles are gone in 5 minutes, while the rest of us are at work. So forget that shit. Just saying...

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, BigPapa said:

You mean 25,000 dollars

25000 points.  You get 10 points per dollar spent, before any other multipliers.

7 hours ago, Kepler said:

All I know is that all the hard-to-find bottles are gone at Total Wine immediately because of bottle stalkers, aka tater behavior (for lack of a better term). The TW employees say they have people lined up outside before they open and all those bottles are gone in 5 minutes, while the rest of us are at work. So forget that shit. Just saying...

There is no perfect system.  Whether they put allocated stuff out randomly or hold it for special customers, there are flaws and people will be unhappy.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, AndyD said:

There is no perfect system.  Whether they put allocated stuff out randomly or hold it for special customers, there are flaws and people will be unhappy.

Very true statement sir, I agree!  ?

Okay, at the risk of pissing everyone off, I happen to like TW. They have the best selection (broadest scope) for Belgian ales, which I focus on, in both Dallas/Plano and Atlanta, where I happen to shop most frequently. I maintain 300 bottles, typically, of bourbon, rye, and scotch. I have some unicorns from years past, but normally keep the basics in stock. I do not suffer from FOMO. I'm too old. But, I naturally earn GR level every year, in the normal course. I detest bottle stalkers, but they rarely cramp my style.

I understand that some detest TW. But, I don't agree with their assessment, whether they worked there or have simply shopped there.

Pat

On 11/7/2019 at 11:58 PM, Kepler said:

The same thing happens at the TW's in my area as well. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.