On the hunt for the original SB Blend post

clearmoon247
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

As it has come to be, the original SB Blend has been bastardized into "Poor Man's Pappy" and lead to a massive, multiple year shortage of Weller 12 and reduced availability of OWA. I have done a good amount of searching, reading that Gary Gillman was the originator of the recipe. I dug through as many posts of his as I could before my eyes blurred.

Can anyone assist me in finding the original post for the legendary OWA/W12 blend?

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

This just came to my attention, thanks. I looked back in the same posts and can't find a clear answer. One thing that is clear: I did not originate the terms SB Blend or Poor Man's Pappy and never used the latter in particular, to my recollection.

I did originate here (SB) the discussion of vatting at home, yes, and was glad later to see that others followed with great experiments of their own and results, and later the SB vatting thread arose, etc.

I was simply applying knowledge gained from my reading of bourbon history, as vatting and mingling were old industry practices, e.g. the blends of straight bourbons or straight whiskeys marketed in the 1930s and we see similar in the market again today.

So, sorry I can't answer more accurately. I just bought the current Weller Antique and think it's great, light but excellent-tasting. I haven't mingled it with anything yet but you've reminded me always to think about it!

Best wishes.

Gary Gillman

www.beeretseq.com

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, Gillman said:

This just came to my attention, thanks. I looked back in the same posts and can't find a clear answer. One thing that is clear: I did not originate the terms SB Blend or Poor Man's Pappy and never used the latter in particular, to my recollection.

Many years ago, I seem to recall a number of times when vatting, and maybe the SB Blend were discussed in the chat room. This ring a bell with you Gary?

Joe, good to hear from you.  Need to distinguish between the term and the blend itself. I did not originate the term (or the term Poor Man's PVW.) I'm not sure who did, was it you possibly?  

For the blend itself - Weller 12 and Weller Antique 107, it's possible I discussed it in a chat or at Gazebo before it was named, it's the kind of thing I was doing at the time certainly, but someone else may have proposed it before me in a chat or on the board.

Really can't add more, what do you think?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.