The Vatting Thread 2018 and beyond

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

In the past, I've usually waited until at most a week or two before our Sampler/get together and the KBF to do my Weller Blend. After reading some posts from Nancy/WhiskyBlender, I decided to get an early start on things this year. As I may have mentioned in couple of other threads, I played mad scientist yesterday. All ready and raring to go are a 750, and a 1.75 of the 2018 version of Joe's Weller Blend. ^_^ FWIW, I'm sure glad I bought a couple more OWA's Friday, 'cause I used  'em both. Now if I can just resist temptation..........:P Oh, about the backdrop in a couple of my pics. My son couldn't resist getting me a Minion's sun shade as a Xnas gift for my new vehicle. I just had to. :D

Biba! Joe

wb1.jpeg

wb2.jpeg

wb3.jpeg

• I like it 9

Can't wait to see how this blend turns out! From the look of it, I'm loving what your component parts are gong to be. ;)

That looks like a mad scientist alright! [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

That looks like a mad scientist alright! emoji12.png

And just a wee bit scary... :o

• I like it 2

Looking good Joe.  I had a pint of Evan Williams floating around and a half bottle of JTS Brown BIB, so, I mixed them together for a bottle to pass around while in the garage.  Turned out better than I thought, and I would make it again.  Smooths out the rough edges of the JTS Brown.

5 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Can't wait to see how this blend turns out! From the look of it, I'm loving what your component parts are gong to be. ;)

Given what Joe has done in the past with only 1-2 weeks to marry, I believe he will do great things with this blend having 4 months to marry!

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

Just topped off my SB blend bottle.  I freed up some shelf space by using up the remnants of a W12 I got thanks to GeeTen and had to crack open my third from last OWA squat bottle.  NOTE TO SELF - find out what retailers ship W12 & OWA - DO NOT EVER AGAIN  be without "the blend".

9 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Just topped off my SB blend bottle.  I freed up some shelf space by using up the remnants of a W12 I got thanks to GeeTen and had to crack open my third from last OWA squat bottle.  NOTE TO SELF - find out what retailers ship W12 & OWA - DO NOT EVER AGAIN  be without "the blend".

Hey Harry - Heading down to DC at the end of April on my way to Bardstown with your W12 and OWA re-stock!  Despair not, my friend.   :ph34r:

• I like it 2

11 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Unfortunately I think any place you find that may ship these is also likely to price them at secondary.

12 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Yes, I am down to my last three Old Weller Antique (squat bottle, as you put it) and two Weller 12 (squat bottle).  I've resigned myself to the fact that when they are gone they are irreplaceable, and the synthetic Weller Centennial will be only a fond memory.  I cannot think of anything available that would duplicate its aroma/taste.

I'll probably need counseling to deal with the loss.

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Hey Harry - Heading down to DC at the end of April on my way to Bardstown with your W12 and OWA re-stock!  Despair not, my friend.   :ph34r:

OH!!  That reminds me - I have a few things on hand you really ought to try.  Gimme a week's head's up so I can bottle them.:huh:

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of Wellers, and considering my recent good fortune, guess what time it is boys and girls? :P

Biba! Joe

blend.jpeg

• I like it 1

It's been a good day. I managed to run couple of errands,  get a few things done around the house, AND make another batch of my 2018 Weller Blend. :P Life is good. :D

I consolidated what was left of the 750 from my first blend. The pic below is after all is said and done. ^_^

Biba! Joe

b2.jpeg

• I like it 3

I've started playing around with 200ml vattings that I've seen around these forums, just leaving them for a while before I start trying them out!

I have a bottle of David Nicholson Reserve that I've struggled with for a while and there's not a great deal left so I was thinking about vatting it with something to clear some shelf space and hopefully end up with something better! I thought about combining it with Maker's Mark but wasn't sure about the best ratio?

I've obviously got other whiskies kicking about, some I've used already like Stagg Jr, BT, etc if that helps? Just after advice and/or suggestions really. 

EDIT: I don't suppose there's a consolidated list of successful vattings around? I trawled the forums for hours and noted a couple to try.

Edited by Bobafett2k6
Additional question

20 hours ago, Bobafett2k6 said:

I've started playing around with 200ml vattings that I've seen around these forums, just leaving them for a while before I start trying them out!

I have a bottle of David Nicholson Reserve that I've struggled with for a while and there's not a great deal left so I was thinking about vatting it with something to clear some shelf space and hopefully end up with something better! I thought about combining it with Maker's Mark but wasn't sure about the best ratio?

I've obviously got other whiskies kicking about, some I've used already like Stagg Jr, BT, etc if that helps? Just after advice and/or suggestions really. 

EDIT: I don't suppose there's a consolidated list of successful vattings around? I trawled the forums for hours and noted a couple to try.

If I were you, I'd vat the DN with any Bourbon you've decided is a little past the ideal age (Note: I usually use the DN BIB...Cheaper). 

I have found DN BIB to be a great resource in modifying the dry or bitter wood notes in these bourbons by mixing it into such ones (a little to a lot, depending upon how woody they may be).

I even purchase DN BIB with just this in mind, finding it a little too 'bland' and sweet for my taste buddies.  

The actual BIB has become difficult to find in recent months, so I may not be able to continue with it much longer; but, I imagine the 'non-BIB' will work as well.  

As to the DN Reserve, I never found it to be much different than the BIB, other than price.     Others may disagree; but for my taste buddies, it was only very slightly better, with just a hint of longer age, and not worth the extra cash.

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

If I were you, I'd vat the DN with any Bourbon you've decided is a little past the ideal age (Note: I usually use the DN BIB...Cheaper). 

I have found DN BIB to be a great resource in modifying the dry or bitter wood notes in these bourbons by mixing it into such ones (a little to a lot, depending upon how woody they may be).

I even purchase DN BIB with just this in mind, finding it a little too 'bland' and sweet for my taste buddies.  

The actual BIB has become difficult to find in recent months, so I may not be able to continue with it much longer; but, I imagine the 'non-BIB' will work as well.  

As to the DN Reserve, I never found it to be much different than the BIB, other than price.     Others may disagree; but for my taste buddies, it was only very slightly better, with just a hint of longer age, and not worth the extra cash.

That's interesting because I believe the BIB is a wheated recipe while the Reserve is a rye recipe.

That's interesting because I believe the BIB is a wheated recipe while the Reserve is a rye recipe.

I believe that is correct. After buying a bottle of DN Reserve, assuming it was an older, better version of DN 1843, I found out they are entirely different bourbons.

Hey,

Yeah the DN Reserve is the 100 proof high rye bourbon.

I've also happened upon about a quarter bottle of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof (139.4 proof) of which I've already had some and it's a bit hot for my taste so I was thinking about reducing it to about 100-110 proof but was wondering whether mineral water or EC12 would yield best results?

My thinking is that there's a danger EC12 will alter the flavour too much whereas water won't...

47 minutes ago, Bobafett2k6 said:

Hey,

Yeah the DN Reserve is the 100 proof high rye bourbon.

I've also happened upon about a quarter bottle of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof (139.4 proof) of which I've already had some and it's a bit hot for my taste so I was thinking about reducing it to about 100-110 proof but was wondering whether mineral water or EC12 would yield best results?

My thinking is that there's a danger EC12 will alter the flavour too much whereas water won't...

A favorite trick of mine when I want the barrel proof without all the burn is to pour a glass either 50/50 or 75/25 standard expression to barrel proof.  I usually do it just one glass at a time.  Gives the regular whiskey a little bit of extra flavor boost, and keeps the bottle of barrel proof intact.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, I uncorked a 1.75L of ER 10 a while back, and after getting air, it is now a total oak bomb.  To counteract it, I came up with the following :

175ml ER10

100ml WSR

60ml  Stagg Jr.

I think if one has a regular bottle of ER you would probably want to go with 200ml of that, and depending on ones tatses maybe a touch more Stagg Jr.

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, rjg1701 said:

Just checked my notes, only 30ml of Stagg Jr. for the above recipe.

These posts set off a lightbulb in my head that Stagg Jr. (which I do not like) and Eagle Rare (which I like VERY much) are the same mash.  ER101 is before my time and not something I will be likely to try anytime soon.  Decided to vat up my own using the Stagg to beef up the ER.  If someone who vats regularly can check my math it would be very helpful!

25 total ounces so each ounce is 4% of total volume.  18.25 oz of ER at 90 proof & 6.75 oz of Stagg Jr at 130 proof.

(18.25)(90)(.04) + (6.75)(130)(.04) = 100.8 proof.

I have high hopes.

• I like it 2

25 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

These posts set off a lightbulb in my head that Stagg Jr. (which I do not like) and Eagle Rare (which I like VERY much) are the same mash.  ER101 is before my time and not something I will be likely to try anytime soon.  Decided to vat up my own using the Stagg to beef up the ER.  If someone who vats regularly can check my math it would be very helpful!

25 total ounces so each ounce is 4% of total volume.  18.25 oz of ER at 90 proof & 6.75 oz of Stagg Jr at 130 proof.

(18.25)(90)(.04) + (6.75)(130)(.04) = 100.8 proof.

I have high hopes.

As near as I can tell, your math looks okay Bob. This vatting sounds good. Please post some tasting notes. I like Stagg Jr. and ER 10 so I'm thinking I just might have to give this one a try. ^_^

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

I'll chime in and confirm that ER10 and Stagg Jr blends are great. I don't think you can really go wrong with the ratio here. Lean heavy on the Stagg if you want to keep the proof up, or heavier on the ER10 if you want a bit more wood at a lower proof.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.