What Would You Choose?

Chefjohn
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

For my birthday my wife is taking me to a distillery of my choice (I chose Stitzel-Weller) and letting me pick out a bourbon I really want. I’m fairly new to fine bourbon though not new to bourbon  overall. I’d like to keep the cost to around $100. What would you guys choose?

Diageo owns S-W now. Unless things have changed since the Bulleit distillery opened, only Bulleit products are sold at that old S-W distillery. That wouldn't be my choice to go. I love Wild Turkey, so that's my first choice. Jimmy Russell often sits in the lobby and signs bottles for customers. He's nice as can be. Makers Mark has a beautiful distillery, and their tour is pretty neat. You can probably buy one of their private select bottles there. 

• I like it 5

Does the gift bourbon need to come from the distillery you're touring? If so, S-W only carries IW Harper NAS, IW Harper 15, Bulleit, Blade & Bow and potentially a random Orphan Barrel release. The Stitzel-Weller facility is well worth the visit from a historical perspective, but I'd recommend picking up the bourbon at a local friendly retailer. A hundred bucks is a tough threshold, if you're seeking something that's literally sitting on the shelf. The LUXCO Double Barrel 12yo is interesting and limited-- but is going to jump your budget. Barterhouse 20yo?

40 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Does the gift bourbon need to come from the distillery you're touring? If so, S-W only carries IW Harper NAS, IW Harper 15, Bulleit, Blade & Bow and potentially a random Orphan Barrel release. The Stitzel-Weller facility is well worth the visit from a historical perspective, but I'd recommend picking up the bourbon at a local friendly retailer. A hundred bucks is a tough threshold, if you're seeking something that's literally sitting on the shelf. The LUXCO Double Barrel 12yo is interesting and limited-- but is going to jump your budget. Barterhouse 20yo?

No the bourbon  doesn’t have to come from the distillery. I have done Makers Mark. It was a fantastic tour. I’m wanting to go to S-W for it’s history, I’m really into bourbons history. 

1 hour ago, Chefjohn said:

I’m wanting to go to S-W for it’s history, I’m really into bourbons history. 

Regardless of which distillery you visit, you might want to take a side trip to the Oscar Getz Whiskey Museum in Bardstown. Well worth your time IMHO

33 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Regardless of which distillery you visit, you might want to take a side trip to the Oscar Getz Whiskey Museum in Bardstown. Well worth your time IMHO

I’ll look into that. I’ve not heard of it. Thank you. 

I’ll second Turkey. If you are lucky Jimmy will sign your bottles. 

Use the $100 for a Russell’s Reserve and a Rare Breed or 101. 

Wild Turkey had a great tour and I think it was made even better since it was given by Bubba, an ex-marine.  I got to meet Jimmy Russel and after a short discussion, had him sign a glass for me.  If you looked in the dictonary and looked up the word "Gentleman" you should see Jimmy picture. 

I really enjoyed the Hard Hat Tour at Buffalo Trace.  You will need reservations.   https://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/visit-us/our-tours                  

They have a number of tours.  I also took the Bourbon Barrel Tour, which is interesting.  But if  you do only one, do the Hard Hat Tour.

You mentioned you like to keep the cost under $100.  I think these tours are free.  But  others here can correct me if I am mistaken.

My .02 would be Heaven Hill or Willlett for any chance on special bottles.  Generally HH has something worth splurging on, gift shop only and if you get lucky, Willlett is super random on when they place their family estate barrels out.  But if you catch one you would be happy.  Both are within a mile from each other and you can find a nice air bnb in Bardstown .........

1 hour ago, JT3NSB said:

My .02 would be Heaven Hill or Willlett for any chance on special bottles.  Generally HH has something worth splurging on, gift shop only and if you get lucky, Willlett is super random on when they place their family estate barrels out.  But if you catch one you would be happy.  Both are within a mile from each other and you can find a nice air bnb in Bardstown .........

This is a solid idea but I would also try to include a trip to Four Roses.  They most always have some special bottles available only at the gift shop.  Even better if you are a member of the Mellow Moments Club.

Edited by Tennessee Dave

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.