Cream of Kentucky Batch 3 - picked it up today

Theantiquetiger2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Like the old saying, “Time to buy it is when you see it!”

Ive never seen CoK on the shelf, so I grabbed it (little hesitation).  It’s the most I’ve ever paid for a bottle of bourbon besides my PVW20. 

This was $155. 

Its batch #3.  It’s so new, I get zero hits on the internet. I only get batch 2 hits. 

0DNPfkW.jpg

• I like it 2

• 1 month later...

Great to hear you like it.  The prior release of 11.5 years does not have great reviews that would support the $150 price tag.  Maybe this batch is worth it.

I came very close to buying the 12.3 year a few days ago, but passed. Maybe I should go back and pick it up? 

2 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

I came very close to buying the 12.3 year a few days ago, but passed. Maybe I should go back and pick it up? 

Why not.  Consider it a capper to your Birthday Month!  ?

• I like it 1

14 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Why not.  Consider it a capper to your Birthday Month!  ?

@smokinjoe, I like the way you think! Thanks for the permission to buy it. At this point in the b-day budget, what's another $150 if it leads to lots of enjoyment? ?

There was only one bottle that I saw on the shelf, but if it's still at my local tomorrow, I'll go snag it. 

Cheers,

Nancy

33 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

@smokinjoe, I like the way you think! Thanks for the permission to buy it. At this point in the b-day budget, what's another $150 if it leads to lots of enjoyment? ?

There was only one bottle that I saw on the shelf, but if it's still at my local tomorrow, I'll go snag it. 

Cheers,

Nancy

@smokinjoe does this to me all the time. Welcome to the club!

• I like it 1

21 minutes ago, flahute said:

@smokinjoe does this to me all the time. Welcome to the club!

Club? This is family.  We now have a sister, brother!  :D

• I like it 1

30 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Club? This is family.  We now have a sister, brother!  :D

Yes! I always wanted a sister and Nancy rocks it.

• I like it 1

I don't love the value proposition of Cream Of Kentucky. We're talking way more than $10/year here.

I like what it supports, but I also would like some more assurance that that is going to actually get realized.

I also remember some post years ago where Squire said something to the effect of it's not his responsibility to fund the next generation of distilling via overpaying for whiskey.

So, Cream Of Kentucky generally tastes good (the one I bought does, anyway), but these other things are true and valid at the same time.

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

I don't love the value proposition of Cream Of Kentucky. We're talking way more than $10/year here.

I like what it supports, but I also would like some more assurance that that is going to actually get realized.

I also remember some post years ago where Squire said something to the effect of it's not his responsibility to fund the next generation of distilling via overpaying for whiskey.

So, Cream Of Kentucky generally tastes good (the one I bought does, anyway), but these other things are true and valid at the same time.

You make great points. That has been part of my apprehension about CoK: If it is great, it should fly off the shelves however since it is probably only on the radars of bourbon fans, a lot of people won't take that chance, especially at that price. If I am going to take a chance, I need overwhelmingly positive reviews. If I am helping to pay for JR's juice 5+ years away, the whiskey I buy still has to be good enough to justify the price. 

This is sourced from Barton/1792.  I asked Jim about it and it's from the same batch of sourced barrels as previous release, just aged now slightly longer.  Drink what you like, be careful what you pay for.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.