BOTM 11/19: 1792 High Rye

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

As best I can tell, we've never had this one as BOTM. When it first came out it was limited in supply and since we like to choose bourbons for this forum that are generally accessible to all, it made sense that this got skipped over. The Barton website still lists this one in the Limited Edition category but I see it around enough that I think it's fine to feature it now. 

Mashbill information is not listed so we don't really know what "high rye" means. Given that the BT/Barton bourbons tend to start out pretty low in rye to begin with, this high rye may not be that high. It's no matter however as all we care about is how it tastes.

I remember when I first tried this that I was pretty dang impressed. Others were too. I know that I and smokinjoe put this on our "best new release of the year" list the year that it came out. I just opened a new bottle for this post and it still impresses. For me, it's a mild step up in spice from the usual BT/Barton brands. It's balanced nicely with caramel sweetness. I find the flavor profile to be fairly unique. I like the proof point at 94.3. Most of all, it's a great value and is eminently drinkable.

Sound off on what you all think of this one.

• I like it 2

It would be interesting to know the mash bill on this one. It drinks like a barely legal rye to me, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's 30%+ rye. Personally I enjoy it, but less than the standard 1792 mashbill. I like it more than Sweet Wheat though, which everyone but me seems to like. So I'm probably a weirdo. I picked up a bottle of the high rye about a year ago but haven't made much of a dent in it yet. I've gone through a few BIBs and Full Proof store picks though.

As an aside, it's great to see BOTM up and running again!

Edited by EarthQuake
  • I like it 1

I like (but don't love) the 1792 High Rye.   I'm with EarthQuake about it not being as close to my wheelhouse as the ordinary 1792.   I don't find it a great deal different, actually; but... in the wrong direction, I guess.   

Now, the BIB is a BIG Winner for my taste buddies!   If that one was priced better (and it actually ever showed up around my area) I'd have cases of it bunkered.   

The Sweet Wheat is interesting.    I don't love it either; but, I find it a nice 'change of pace', though that one too, is almost never seen around my neck of the woods.

What I REALLY DO wish is that the damned visitor's center at Barton/1792 would stock some of these special releases... even if they only offered 'em in small quantities (1-per customer sort of thing) around the time of their release (which they amazingly do not!).    I find it hard to understand that the decision is to NOT make these available to those dedicated fans who trek down there and make the effort, only to find the very most common Barton brands and regular 1792 available for sale.   I've often wondered how that decision was made.

18 hours ago, flahute said:

As best I can tell, we've never had this one as BOTM. When it first came out it was limited in supply and since we like to choose bourbons for this forum that are generally accessible to all, it made sense that this got skipped over. The Barton website still lists this one in the Limited Edition category but I see it around enough that I think it's fine to feature it now. 

Mashbill information is not listed so we don't really know what "high rye" means. Given that the BT/Barton bourbons tend to start out pretty low in rye to begin with, this high rye may not be that high. It's no matter however as all we care about is how it tastes.

I remember when I first tried this that I was pretty dang impressed. Others were too. I know that I and smokinjoe put this on our "best new release of the year" list the year that it came out. I just opened a new bottle for this post and it still impresses. For me, it's a mild step up in spice from the usual BT/Barton brands. It's balanced nicely with caramel sweetness. I find the flavor profile to be fairly unique. I like the proof point at 94.3. Most of all, it's a great value and is eminently drinkable.

Sound off on what you all think of this one.

Big fan of this bourbon, and I did give high praise on it, then.  And, I still do.  I had a pour a little before you started this BOTM, and once again came away with the signature note that this whiskey brings; i.e., it’s as close to dusty Old Taylor that you’re going to find in a modern bourbon.  Gorgeous heavy Butterscotch and a dollop of Caramel.  Pure candy.  

I appear to have misjudged the availability of this one! Whiskey can be funny that way. 
I’ll get the December selection up earlier in the month to make up for it. 

• I like it 2

On 11/18/2019 at 9:39 AM, smokinjoe said:

Big fan of this bourbon, and I did give high praise on it, then.  And, I still do.  I had a pour a little before you started this BOTM, and once again came away with the signature note that this whiskey brings; i.e., it’s as close to dusty Old Taylor that you’re going to find in a modern bourbon.  Gorgeous heavy Butterscotch and a dollop of Caramel.  Pure candy.  

Revisiting tonight and damn if I'm not getting butterscotch out the wazoo. My brother does know how to get through to me!

In hunting for the 1792 Rye, I came across my favorite barrel picker's new 1792 SB BIB offering. 

Butterscotch to 11; can't wait for this to open up.  Bought a sixer. 

I'm still looking but this might be as close as I get.  Thanks for the friendly shove in a new direction, sir!   

I appear to have misjudged the availability of this one! Whiskey can be funny that way. 
I’ll get the December selection up earlier in the month to make up for it. 

Yep, I’ve not been able to find one yet. It’s kind of like real estate...location, location, location! [emoji6]
  • I like it 1

On 11/22/2019 at 6:16 PM, lcpfratn said:

Yep, I’ve not been able to find one yet. It’s kind of like real estate...location, location, location! emoji6.png

Ummmm... check your bunker Jeff. I think i transferred one to you recently.

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Now that’s funny. :lol:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

On 11/18/2019 at 11:39 AM, smokinjoe said:

On 11/20/2019 at 12:13 AM, flahute said:

Revisiting tonight and damn if I'm not getting butterscotch out the wazoo.

Being the huge fan of dusty Old Taylor that I am, you guys are killing me. Been looking all over for this since Joe's original post from way back and still haven't found any.

Ummm....oops! I had checked my “collection” database on my Distiller app, but apparently that was one that I had forgotten to add...and I was too lazy to search my various bunkers. Oh well, the point that I was trying to make to Steve still applies, and that is that the High Rye is not as readily available in as many places as he originally thought.

• I like it 1

On 11/27/2019 at 10:41 PM, lcpfratn said:

Damn...CRS strikes again!!! emoji3.png

Speaking of CRS......  (With all due appreciation to the creativeness of Galvin0791.)

crs1.jpeg

crs2.jpeg

crs3.jpeg

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.