Midwestern winter time comfort food

Phil T
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I really hate cold weather, but I love the comfort food that comes with it. These are foods that we only eat once it gets cold. For me and Amy:

- tater tot casserole

- meatloaf and mashed potatoes/gravy

- chicken pot pie

- poutine (not a midwestern staple, but a damn tasty gravy treat.)

- chili ( 3 different recipes.  White, red, and Cincinnati.)

As I watch the Buckeyes, I'm making Cincinnati chili.  I will share any of the recipes for the above if you are interested. Tell us what your comfort foods are. 

Edited by Phil T
  • I like it 1

55 minutes ago, Phil T said:

I really hate cold weather, but I love the comfort food that comes with it. These are foods that we only eat once it gets cold. For me and Amy:

- tater tot casserole

- chicken pot pie

As I watch the Buckeyes, I'm making Cincinnati chili.  I will share any of the recipes for the above if you are interested. Tell us what your comfort foods are. 

Is that varmint poutine?  :D

I like casseroles.  And I really like tater tots.  How do you do that one?

1 hour ago, Phil T said:

- tater tot casserole

- chicken pot pie

Must know more about this tater tot casserole!

We also do the Cincinnati chili.

Wow, I bet it's been 40+ years since I've had tater tots (and I haven't missed them) but you've got my curiosity up. What's it all about, Phil?

Great timing on this thread Phil. My wife made White Chicken Chili in the crockpot today. I’ll be having a bowl or to shortly.  ^_^

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

For me and my wifey?  Good Old Beef Stew, of which we made a pot for yesterday's supper, and ate again as leftover bonanza today.   

Cheap chuck steak, potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, can of beef broth, tapioca to thicken (gluten-free!): Voila!

• I like it 1

Wife grew up near Chicago (in Brookfield) and is a U of Illinois grad, so I've learned all about cold weather, mid-western food.  Our only close-in SteaknShake closed last year.  Hence, we can't get chili five-way anymore (akin to Cincinnati chili) so she makes her own.  When on the road this time of year (which is just about every weekend for us retirees), Boston Market's meat loaf and mashed is always handy as is KFC's pot pie.   Wife hates tater tots and won;t buy them/fix them, BUT a couple times in Fall/Winter, she insists we go to a Sonic Drive-in so I can get my fill.

Home cooking?  We have three (3) different-sized crockpots so she can pick the BEST one for making up stuff we can eat for a week.  Last year's Christmas present?  She only wanted a selection of crockpot cookbooks.

Thanks for the thread.  It warms my heart to know I picked a keeper 49 or so years ago. 

• I like it 1

We make 2 different variations of tater tot casserole:

1. BEEF

-1 lb. ground beef

-1 can cream of mushroom soup

-1 can cream of celery soup

-tater tots

2. CHICKEN 

-1 lb. ground chicken

-1 can cream of chicken soup

-1 can of cream of mushroom soup

-tater tots

The process is the same for both casseroles. Brown the meat. I season with salt and pepper. Drain off the fat. Combine the meat with the condensed soup in a 13×9 glass baking pan. No need to grease the pan. Stir it all together so it is well incorporated. I will then use the back of a spoon to smooth out the mixture so it is evenly distributed. Top with a single layer of tater tots, side by side and end to end. Cover the whole top of the meat/soup mixture with the tots. Bake in the oven according to the tater tot directions. Spoon out and enjoy!

My mom made this when we were growing up. I imagine because it was cheap, easy, filling, and tasty. And, if I remember correctly,  she would make 2 of the larger (15×10) baking pans.

Edited by Phil T
  • I like it 1

Yes please on the chili recipe! I’ve had great results with other recipes posted here. BayouRedds seafood chowder in particular was incredibly good.   

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.