Is there still love for KCSB?

GrouchoM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 11/27/2019 at 12:30 AM, The Black Tot said:

Perhaps I have misrepresented myself. I think for some perspective I never said any of the picks were "Bad". 

Just that they weren't rock stars.

@CardsandBourbon ruined me on a pick of KC120 that was one of the best bourbons I ever had, and then KC has never gotten back there for me since. I hold hope and will keep trying. I'm dealing with some frustration in that pursuit, which I recognize colors my comments here.

When I call a KC120 pick boring, think of it more like the old phrase "A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work".

It's still KC120. 

And I too am usually a termite - none of the 14yr KCs failed for me because of too much oak. Most of them failed to excel because of leaning too much toward the peanut brittle. And on one in particular whose flavor comes to mind, the sweetness tasted a little saccharine. 

Ah, the famous Barrel #3094.  I have some other PS KC SiB's that are very good but nothing has yet reached the zen level of #3094.  I've been nursing it for a couple of years now and it's almost gone.  Don't know that I'll ever get one that good again.  Great legs in the glass, oakiness is "just right", caramel and spices but very balanced.  As it travels across your tongue different flavors present themselves. Like TBT said, it's one of the best bottles of bourbon I've ever had, regardless of age, price point, proof, etc.

Even if the older KC's aren't at the level of the aforementioned #3094, they are still some of the best values out there.  The day I got my name drawn for PVW 15 I also picked up a PS of KC SiB.   PVW proof 107, age 15, price $109.99.  KC proof 120, age 15 & 4 days, price $46.99.

• I like it 4

I helped in a KC pick last week and luckily all 3 samples were over 15y (and all good). The one we pick is very good. I did notice that this year we were told that store picks or limited to one barrel per sample kit. In the past we could take all 3 if the store wanted. I have also noticed to that the prior 3 picks I was involved in the ages were around 10 to 12 years. So I'm sure the 14 to 15y barrels are getting low.

• I like it 2

9 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

I helped in a KC pick last week and luckily all 3 samples were over 15y (and all good). The one we pick is very good. I did notice that this year we were told that store picks or limited to one barrel per sample kit. In the past we could take all 3 if the store wanted. I have also noticed to that the prior 3 picks I was involved in the ages were around 10 to 12 years. So I'm sure the 14 to 15y barrels are getting low.

When doing our pick in the rickhouse, all 3 barrels were 9.5 years.  We were told the older barrels would be going into the store delivered sample kits, the younger barrels would be picked from in person.  

While they didn't say exact numbers, they did say the barrel pics available would be cut back considerably.  Price would be bumped too, as the KC12 hits the market.  I'd expect the barrel pick bottles to creep into the mid-$50 price range.

On 11/26/2019 at 9:15 AM, EarthQuake said:

These 14-15 year barrels tend to be fantastic.

@The Black Tot I would say if you find 11/12 picks boring or a chore to get through, maybe it's not so much the picks or who is picking them, but a profile that you're not into? With dumb luck alone half of those should have been pretty good picks.

But hey, people say there are bad Four Roses picks and I've yet to meet one. So maybe I'm just easily pleased.

I wouldn’t say I’ve had a truly bad 4r pick, but I’ve had lame ones.  I gave one away that was a tier 1 @ 106ish proof.  No punch and finish was meh.

but - I’ve had very good luck with 4r and like most of what they put out, which I consider the best bourbon out there right now.

not to diminish the sentiments of the thread and KCSB, which I love and consider a great value.

$43 OTD. 15 years. 

Gonna kick the tires on it tonight. 

Fingers crossed it ain’t an oak bomb. 

E5A9D398-99E0-4270-9864-B7862C571600.jpeg

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Mako254 said:

$43 OTD. 15 years. 

Let me know how that one turns out.  Their rr pick was pretty tasty.

16 hours ago, AndyD said:

Let me know how that one turns out.  Their rr pick was pretty tasty.

Initial taste I liked it however that was after oysters and hot sauce. It wasn’t overly oaky or astringent. I’ll make another run today but overall favorable impression. Especially for $42 and change. They still had some of that RR left. 

Making a run at this tonight. 

Very ‘bourbony’ in a good way. Everything you want is there. A balanced pour. Not much ‘beam funk’ (which I heard from another MD is due to the temp Beam cooks their mash more than yeast fwiw). 

Not an oak bomb.  Everything you’d want in a well aged high proof bourbon. 

Nose: sticky vanilla, faintly sweet oak, sweet fudge?, minimal alcohol

palate: barrel char, not as full as expected, 

Sublte sweetness

finish: not as bold as anticipated, mild cinnamon with a lingering warming sweetness. 

This bottle isn’t as bold as anticipated but at 15 years the depth and maturity shines. Some of these 13 yr +KCSB are way too oaky for me. Not this one. 

• I like it 1

On 11/29/2019 at 3:56 PM, Mako254 said:

$43 OTD. 15 years. 

I have a PS from Jax in Georgia that is almost identical. W-X. F-04. R-045. Barreled 2/11/2004. Bottled 3/20/2019.

Edited by ondarocks
change

I have not seen too much of this lately.

Meijer had a shelf tag, but no bottles last time I was there.

My big Kroger same story, except recently no shelf tag.

Most of the bottles I've tried have been ones without barrel number or any special designation.  They were all pretty good, never sorry I bought one.  Granted, a person has to appreciate the Beam house style.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.