Remus Volstead 14 year

Bbstout
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I don't think their is a thread on this one. Anyone had it and comment on the quality of this MGP sourced bourbon.

I opened a bottle last week.  I copied my tasting notes from a FB post:

Nose: before letting it sit, big kick of ethanol , oak and vanilla.  I drink a lot of mgp and feel they have a distinct oak smell.  Hard to describe.  

After letting it air out for a bit, a lot more vanilla up front, a little less oak, dense rye bread, black pepper , caramel is there but takes a few seconds to find.  Egg nog, and I know that’s a little weird on the holiday timing , but it’s a mix of the nutmeg and cream.

Mouth/palate : creamy, oak, vanilla.  I don’t tend to swish a lot, nor do I see a huge benefit for coating my whole mouth for an extended time.

Finish - this is not punchy at all.  It’s almost too smooth.  Very little burn up front or down the hatch .  Lots of caramel and vanilla.  Creme brûlée.  Very long finish.  Several deep breathes and I can get some more oak and pepper and lasts for a few minutes.

I drink mostly BP mgp so this was different.  This is probably the most refined of the mgp offerings I’ve had.  The finish is fantastic and I could nose this for hours.  My only wish would be a few higher points in abv to give a little kick.  I would highly recommend not doing a few higher proofs before enjoying this, which is what I attempted last night.

• I like it 5

Biggest question : is it worth 200$?  For my spending habits and palate , yes definitely.  In the age of 650$ WLW and top dollar for vintage WT, 200$ is on the high side of retail but not out of range like Kentucky Owl.  And it was attainable in my area which is really important.

im pretty stoked because I get to meet the mgp master blender tomorrow.  I have a few questions.

• I like it 3

I'd love to try this, but doubt it will be available in my area (Pennsy,  Delaware, New Jersey).   Indeed, no Remus products have ever been seen in these parts.

I found an interesting bottle of MGP juice this weekend in Ocean City -   6-year old,  barrel proof "Turley Mill" rye,   from KGB Spirits in New Mexico.   It appears to be MGP 95% rye,  but decently aged and high proof.    I'll need to pop the top soon and satisfy my curiousity - it was 23 bucks off the regular price!  

1 hour ago, Jazzhead said:

I'd love to try this, but doubt it will be available in my area (Pennsy,  Delaware, New Jersey).   Indeed, no Remus products have ever been seen in these parts.

I found an interesting bottle of MGP juice this weekend in Ocean City -   6-year old,  barrel proof "Turley Mill" rye,   from KGB Spirits in New Mexico.   It appears to be MGP 95% rye,  but decently aged and high proof.    I'll need to pop the top soon and satisfy my curiousity - it was 23 bucks off the regular price!  

I passed on the Remus.  Solely based on price and other recent purchases.  Nice to hear it is a decent product though.

I think I got a Turley Mill sample once from anther SB'er.  You are in for a treat if I recall correctly!

There were 3 bottles of it at a recent lottery. They lasted way longer than I expected probably most due to $$. W12 were most of the first ones taken. It took 3 or 4 people before even the ETL100 got picked, but again mostly due to $$.

They had an MGP rep there with the Remus Reserve batches II and III. I slightly preferred the II. I'm one of the few outliers that just isn't crazy about MGP bourbon. Never got into the SAOS craze, etc. Their rye, on the other hand...

9 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

That’s good stuff!

Wife says it tastes like liquid sunshine.

Im not sure how to describe it, but she’s not wrong.

I love mgp, but I also passed on the Volstead.  
It’s just hard for me to shell out that kinda money, when I was buying SAOS singles for $50 just 2-3 years ago.

?‍♂️

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 2

10 hours ago, 0895 said:

That’s good stuff!

Wife says it tastes like liquid sunshine.

Im not sure how to describe it, but she’s not wrong.

All I know about Turley Mill is what I've read about in the last couple of days.    Thanks for the response -  I just need to clear at least one open bottle of rye off my shelf and I can try this one.     I assume it is aged at least partly in New Mexico,  which suggests it may taste quite a bit older than 6 years,  much like Indian whiskey does.   

• 3 weeks later...

Tried the Volstead for the the first time last night.

As an MGP fan, I love it.  Well done, even if only at 100p.

I think some folks who aren't necessarily big MGP fans will really enjoy it too.

The price still sucks.  No way around it, as that's the world we currently live in I suppose.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.