Christmas Eve Lineup

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've started keeping a few bottles of the "Nice Stuff" obtained during the year to open and enjoy with the 20 or so friends and family that come to our house for the annual "Food Orgy".  This year has been a little better so here is my lineup for Christmas Eve.

The Barrel Bourbon "Smooth Operator" is a 14 y.o. that I picked up in Cape Girardeau, MO.

The Old Fitzgerald BIB 13 y.o. was a present from my wife when we were in Charleston, SC earlier this year celebrating my birthday.

The PVW was from the release this year when I finally got my number drawn.

The PHC I found when I was doing a barrel selection at a local store.

The 4R LE I got when the manager at one of our local Kroger W & S said she had a bottle of, she thought, 4R SiB.  When she pulled it out from under the counter I immediately said, "i'll take it"!

Do any of you do anything similar for the holidays?

Resized_20191209_080614.jpeg

• I like it 9

Nobody coming over my house likes bourbon.    That is a very impressive line-up of bourbons.

• I like it 1

7 minutes ago, BourbonGuy said:

Nobody coming over my house likes bourbon.    That is a very impressive line-up of bourbons.

Guess there's two ways to look at that.  No one to enjoy your bourbon with, or more bourbon for you to enjoy.  

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Guess there's two ways to look at that.  No one to enjoy your bourbon with, or more bourbon for you to enjoy.  

Funny, I was thinking exactly the same thing.   I have never mind sharing bourbon with people who appreciate it.   But if people don't care for whiskey (any whiskey), no sense opening anything as they will not like it.

Edited by BourbonGuy
  • I like it 1

37 minutes ago, BourbonGuy said:

Funny, I was thinking exactly the same thing.   I have never mind sharing bourbon with people who appreciate it.   But if people don't care for whiskey (any whiskey), no sense opening anything as they will not like it.

As the good book says, "do not... cast your pearls before swine."

• I like it 1

None of my wife’s family who are local to us drink bourbon. Traveling down to my parents the 27th and brother and his family coming up. They all drink bourbon including my mom, who was born and raised in KY. She wants to try the PVW15 that I just got via lottery. Can’t say no to mom so I will bring that and do some small pours. They all love MM so will pick up a bottle to take down with a custom label I ordered from MM.

• I like it 1

50 minutes ago, marshall9779 said:

She wants to try the PVW15 that I just got via lottery. Can’t say no to mom so I will bring that and do some small pours. They all love MM so will pick up a bottle to take down with a custom label I ordered from MM.

No, you cannot say no to Mom!  

I am in a similar boat as some of the above posters.  We go to my in-laws for Christmas eve and we do have some some whiskey drinkers, but they are all very casual and really not that "into the hobby"  Things will get poured over ice, mixed, etc . . .   Also, they generally do not prefer the high proof stuff.  Last year I brought a W12 that was well received.  I may bring something like that or a ETL again this year.  I'm sure I will end up with a few gifted bottles so will crack one of those as well.  

I will also bring a few of the this years Bourbon County Stout variants to share and a mason jar or two of the aged eggnog I mixed up on the 4th of July.  Looking forward to that one with some homemade bourbon whipped cream!  

Edited by Bob_Loblaw

43 minutes ago, parksmart said:

Bravo on the lineup!  What time does the party start?  I’ll be there early!

?

Starts around 6:30, as soon as we get back from Christmas Eve Mass.  Starts with shrimp cocktail, gourmet cheeses & Frito Scoops.  Main course is Orange/Bourbon glazed ham, two smoked turkey breasts, 2 smoked cedar plank salmon filets, roasted carrots, roasted potatoes, sauteed green beans with prosciutto & cranberry relish.  Dessert is Nutella mousse, home made snickers bars, chocolate truffle cookies and orange truffles.

17 minutes ago, tascabe said:

I see you have been to the Cask  in Cape Girardeau, MO.   Love that place!

Me too.  Had a couple of hours to kill between a wedding and reception and stumbled onto the place.  Tried a bunch of different bourbons and ended up purchasing the bottle you see.

• I like it 1

18 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Me too.  Had a couple of hours to kill between a wedding and reception and stumbled onto the place.  Tried a bunch of different bourbons and ended up purchasing the bottle you see.

Went to their holiday open house/tasting event several weeks back.  Was a great time!

I use my best spirits for small gatherings of spirits nerds.

Christmas is about too many other things to give one's full attention to the spirits (company, and you already mentioned the food). I provide stuff for general gatherings that is "excellent, but replaceable on any given Tuesday". I don't put out JBW, but there will be:

4RsmB,

Booker's,

Stagg Jr,

RRsiB,

Pikesville,

Maker's Mark CS

Mount Gay XO and Pusser's gunpowder for the rum drinkers.

T1 Anejo tequila for those inclined to sip that.

Evan Williams Single Barrel in the egg nog.

Redbreast CS.

A Springbank 15 and a cask strength Kilkerran

Castle And Key gins and vodkas. 

Me I'll probably be on the Booker's most of the evening, but I do like to end with a Demerara.

Then I'll have a whiskey night in mid Jan when everyone has nothing else going on, and it will all be about the bottled fireworks.

And then in mid Feb, mid March, that random Thursday... and those other 5 spontaneous moments.

• I like it 1

I fall into the category of having relatives who don't drink bourbon, or whisky/whiskey in general. Every Christmas our families get together at my sister's house, since she loves to entertain. I'm in charge of supplying the liquid refreshments, but since the host (my sister's husband) doesn't drink at all, most everyone else prefers wine, and my brother only drinks beer by the 6-pack (yet ribs me for being "a boozer" for drinking whiskey), I really only need to plan for myself. Oh, and my other brother-in-law always partakes in the bourbon or rye that I bring, but he's a very light drinker, and after a couple of ounces he's happily curled up on the couch and snoring the evening away. This year, I will bring: 1) Midwinter's Night Dram (can't remember which Act that I have in the liquor cabinet), 2) Jefferson's Presidential Select 18 Year Old ("Aged in Stitzell-Weller Barrels"), and 3) this year's PHC (finished in Orange Curacao barrels) as my dessert pour.

Well my son is a huge bourbon geek and my BIL, SIL, their son and his steady are really into bourbon.  But, other than my son, they don't have as substantial a collection as I do and don't get to taste many of these so I'm more than glad to have them sample these.

Conquistador, have you tried the PHC yet.  I had a pour at a local establishment and it's the first "finished" bourbon that I really enjoyed.  We'll have wine with dinner and port with the mousse but the PHC with dessert does sound like a good idea.

• I like it 1

No one in my family is a drinker of bourbon,  so I'll take an easy sipper to have occasionally. 

However, my brothers and my sons all enjoy the many different seasonal beers available from the many local breweries. So we will all bring an assortment and share. It's great fun!

2 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Conquistador, have you tried the PHC yet.  I had a pour at a local establishment and it's the first "finished" bourbon that I really enjoyed.  We'll have wine with dinner and port with the mousse but the PHC with dessert does sound like a good idea.

CardsandBourbon, yes I've had the orange curacao PHC finished bourbon. I thought it was very unique, and I did enjoy it. Ever since then, I've enjoyed a glass with the occasional fine dessert. It generally pairs quite well, particularly with chocolate-based desserts in my opinion. 

Wow that's an incredible lineup ... For me it will be ; W12 , Lot 40 CS Rye , Bookers , Little Book 2 . So a mix of Cask Strength Ryes and a little Bourbon. 

When my Baby Boy, Gary visits; all bottles are fair game and usually at least a few of the rare and reserved ones are poured.   

Lately, he and I are about the only true Bourbonians at my place, so that's the story.   

If some of the old gang make it back by (rarely any more), I'll bring out any number of the harder to find, or dusty ones.        

If I attend a gathering at the home of one of the folx who helps out with the local retailers' barrel selections, which occurs a few times a year, I'll generally bring a half-dozen nice bottles... often concentrating on previous private picks from other venues or groups.

• I like it 2

13 hours ago, Conquistador said:

CardsandBourbon, yes I've had the orange curacao PHC finished bourbon. I thought it was very unique, and I did enjoy it. Ever since then, I've enjoyed a glass with the occasional fine dessert. It generally pairs quite well, particularly with chocolate-based desserts in my opinion. 

I love chocolate with bourbon.  I may offer the PHC with the Nutella mousse as an alternate if they don't want port, which also pairs well with chocolate.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.