What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Winter 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just realized it's winter so I'll start the new season.  Well the food orgy at the CardsandBourbon house just broke up.  In addition to some fine food I followed through on my bottle opening to share with friends and family.  We started with the Pappy 15, followed by Old Fitz BIB 13 yr. then Four Roses LE Small Batch 2019.  Following dinner we opened by Parker's Heritage Collection Orange Curaco finished bourbon.  Then a wee bit of Stagg 2018.  The night was finished with a special gift from my nephew and his girlfriend.  Her dad used to work for Buffalo Trace and he had some older bottles that he had for years and when they asked him for a special bottle for me he obliged by providing them with this bottle.  Needless to say I was totally wowed.  Best we can figure it that it's from 2002.

1523874220_OLDEAGLERARE.thumb.jpeg.d6dabaa111672753358dd30096bbeb11.jpeg

• I like it 19

Just realized it's winter so I'll start the new season.  Well the food orgy at the CardsandBourbon house just broke up.  In addition to some fine food I followed through on my bottle opening to share with friends and family.  We started with the Pappy 15, followed by Old Fitz BIB 13 yr. then Four Roses LE Small Batch 2019.  Following dinner we opened by Parker's Heritage Collection Orange Curaco finished bourbon.  Then a wee bit of Stagg 2018.  The night was finished with a special gift from my nephew and his girlfriend.  Her dad used to work for Buffalo Trace and he had some older bottles that he had for years and when they asked him for a special bottle for me he obliged by providing them with this bottle.  Needless to say I was totally wowed.  Best we can figure it that it's from 2002.

With that lineup this would be the first I’d start with from that group, great start to the winter thread.

P.S. tell the nephew she’s a keeper.

• I like it 1

I figure Santa gets enough milk & cookies left out for him.  Instead, Santa how about some '17 GTS from my bottle I just opened for my Christmas Eve pour?  Merry Christmas to all.

20191224_232718.jpg

• I like it 9

10 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

With that lineup this would be the first I’d start with from that group, great start to the winter thread.

P.S. tell the nephew she’s a keeper.

I told him if he doesn't marry her that I'm going to adopt her.:D

I agree but we had already poured the Pappy, Old Fitz, Four Roses before he gave me the bottle.

Edited by CardsandBourbon
  • I like it 1

10 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

You should probably start inviting her dad over for cookouts. That's pretty incredible that he gifted that to someone he didnt know!

• I like it 1

I had a WT101 highball at my brother's place yesterday. (along with some Trump Cab wine which was fantastic).

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

SBS  with the new stuff?

Well, here is what Santa (i.e. my loving wife) got me for Christmas.  Since it is relatively warm here today, think it will be a great time to sit around the firepit, enjoy the fire, and open some of these bottles.

fullsizeoutput_2a00.jpeg

• I like it 4

I told him if he doesn't marry her that I'm going to adopt her.[emoji3]

I agree but we had already poured the Pappy, Old Fitz, Four Roses before he gave me the bottle.

Ha, yeah a definite keeper. I was saying if given that lineup myself that’s what I’d grab for first, something really special old bottle ER101.

4 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

You should probably start inviting her dad over for cookouts. That's pretty incredible that he gifted that to someone he didn't know!

I had met him a couple of times (nephew's 30th birthday party, a cook out) so we had talked a good bit about bourbon.  He could tell I was pretty geeked out about talking to him.

1 hour ago, FasterHorses said:

SBS  with the new stuff?

Not yet, but the thought has already crossed my mind.  Should get it done in the next few days so I'll let everyone know how it comes out.

• I like it 1

After all was said and done last night, I kicked back and relaxed with a couple of very nice pours of my Weller Blend. :)

Biba! Joe

• I like it 6

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

After all was said and done last night, I kicked back and relaxed with a couple of very nice pours of my Weller Blend. :)

Biba! Joe

Color me surprised . . . NOT!

• I like it 1

After the grandkids left, we settled in for some relaxing house cleaning. I reached to the back of the closet for something different, and grabbed a HMK10 that I forgot I had. The older label; barreled in 2001, and I probably bought it 6 or 7 years ago. At  any rate, it's hitting the spot tonight.

Pat

Hmk 10 four of four.jpg

Hmk 10 two of four.jpg

• I like it 8

Very late start to Christmas on Dec 26, 1am due to shit breaking at work with impeccable timing. 4oz of Stagg Jr before bed, and who knows, I just might not wake up for work before noon tomorrow.

• I like it 1

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas! I finished mine off with a nice pour of EC18.

christmas.jpg

• I like it 7

Just now, Vosgar said:

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas! I finished mine off with a nice pour of EC18.

christmas.jpg

A man who knows how to celebrate.  Merry Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanza to all!

7 hours ago, Kane said:

Very late start to Christmas on Dec 26, 1am due to shit breaking at work with impeccable timing. 4oz of Stagg Jr before bed, and who knows, I just might not wake up for work before noon tomorrow.

I was stuck at work myself.

Although not as hard core as yours sounds - I was fortunately able to throw myself into some video games.

• I like it 2

11 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Nice pour “Elf”.  ;)

Biba! Joe

I came across my first bottle of the new OWA, a single barrel store selection, and had to pick one up despite the also-new price-tag of $59.99...  Figured I would use the opportunity to open up the new bottling, along with an older 2013 store selection from the bunker (purchased at a much more palatable $20), and do a blind SBS.  

One glass was the clear winner on both the nose and the palate.  The winning glass was cinnamon, cherry, caramel and vanilla.  The “losing” glass was still nice on the nose and the palate, but was definitely darker, like dark fruits, and less cinnamon and caramel.

Reveal was, the winner was the 2013 bottling.  Not that the newer bottle wasn’t good, but it definitely noticeably trailed the older bottling to me.  Had to do it blind to take out any biases, one way or the other.  Fun little SBS, and glad I still have a few more bottles of the 2013 selection in the bunker.

41CBF0D5-8857-4944-BFE4-A24D6799A681.jpeg

• I like it 2

Selected Barterhouse for a sip. Bought two bottles when the Orphan Barrel series was first rolled out. I am still  working the first bottle. The second will probably be safe in the closet for a few more years. 

Pat

Barterhouse 1.jpg

• I like it 2

Gary and I each had a pour of Booker's, Toogie's Invitation batch from 2016, yesterday evening.     (While enjoying a game of 6-handed Euchre so all the gathered family could participate.)   

This particular batch is enough different from most of the others I've experienced to probably be my all time fave Booker's batch.  ? It's just soooo caramel-y and brown sugar-y, with a pleasant, inviting nose!     

It certainly isn't 'more mature' (only 6 years, 4-months, 4-days), or deeper, or broader in it's profile; it just hits all the notes that make Booker's what it is to my taste buddies.... while drinking rather more 'mildly' than the proof (129-pr.) might lead one to expect.       

I wish I had more bunkered.    This one is nearly gone, and I think only one unopened bottle remains.  ?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.