What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Winter 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Gary and I each had a pour of Booker's, Toogie's Invitation batch from 2016, yesterday evening.     (While enjoying a game of 6-handed Euchre so all the gathered family could participate.)   

This particular batch is enough different from most of the others I've experienced to probably be my all time fave Booker's batch.

I found a few of these based on your recommendation, Rich.

Really appreciate your tipping us all off.

4 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

I found a few of these based on your recommendation, Rich.

Really appreciate your tipping us all off.

I'd really like to take the credit for 'tipping off' somebody, or even anybody; but, I'm pretty sure others have said similar things about Toogie's back in the day... Col. Chuck Cowdery for one, if memory serves .....though anymore it doesn't serve all that reliably.         

Glad to hear you have some 'at the ready', for sure.    ?   Enjoy!!!  ?

10 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

I'm pretty sure others have said similar things about Toogie's back in the day...

Yeah...but it was your silver-tongued affirmations specifically which set me personally on the acquisitive. 

So it may take a village, as they say, but you were the villager with the torch and pitchfork in this case (cattle prod?)

• I like it 3

I have two cases of Toogie's Invitation  bunkered. I know something special when I find it!!

Chuck wrote up a nice blog post on the experience they had choosing this round table batch with the legendary Toogie making her famous fried chicken for lunch.  Yes, please. 

I’ll never forget seeing Fred Noe at Kurtz restaurant In Bardstown one time. Fred and his wife were leaving at the same time as a few of us SBers. There was a bottle of Toogies Batch sitting on the credenza in the entry way just across from the checkout counter. We were talking about it when I commented/asked  “I wonder who Toogie is?” Fred overheard me and nodded towards the lady behind the counter as he said, “Hell, you just met her.”  We all had a good laugh. Toogie included.  Every time I’ve seen her, shes always had a smile on her face. That day she was grinning from ear to ear. ?  Good stuff. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 9

I am continuing to sip from the bottles I never seem to find enough time to savor. FR Small Batch, 2012 limited edition is on the docket tonight. Deep and flavorful. Must be something akin to a new year's resolution: drink from the back of the closet, not from the easiest to reach. 

Pat

FR 2012 6.jpg

FR 2012 7.jpg

• I like it 2

Did a SBS tonight of Bakers new SB & 13y. And no it’s not the picture, the SB is darker in color. 
The SB is bolder, but not as smooth. Flavor profiles are the same. 
The 13y is definitely a lot easier drink, if that’s what you are into. But tonight the 13y is a clear winner. Nothing wrong with either one, both are very good pours. 
If I have the opportunity to pick up another 13y I will do it. 
A60E2D72-714D-4EAD-9E8F-0B168030A904.thumb.jpeg.13a034a81f2d95259d9f5d8b856cfbbc.jpeg

• I like it 4

Did a SBS tonight of Bakers new SB & 13y. And no it’s not the picture, the SB is darker in color. 
The SB is bolder, but not as smooth. Flavor profiles are the same. 
The 13y is definitely a lot easier drink, if that’s what you are into. But tonight the 13y is a clear winner. Nothing wrong with either one, both are very good pours. 
If I have the opportunity to pick up another 13y I will do it. 
A60E2D72-714D-4EAD-9E8F-0B168030A904.thumb.jpeg.13a034a81f2d95259d9f5d8b856cfbbc.jpeg

What are the 13yr going for.

To be honest, I’m not sure. The place where I got it is always at retail. So what ever that is, but I will find out tomorrow. 

To be honest, I’m not sure. The place where I got it is always at retail. So what ever that is, but I will find out tomorrow. 

Please don’t go out of your way on my part, I don’t know what retail is on these 13yr Bakers. If you don’t recall what you paid no worries sir.

Just now, HoustonNit said:

Please don’t go out of your way on my part, I don’t know what retail is on these 13yr Bakers. If you don’t recall what you paid no worries sir.

I picked it up with several other bottles. I will let you know. 

7 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

What are the 13yr going for.

$114.99 OTD here in Beantown environs.   Me likee, too!   ?

5 hours ago, GeeTen said:

$114.99 OTD here in Beantown environs.   Me likee, too!   ?

Yikes on the price. 

Remember when we were offended by almost $10/yr for WFE?

Feels like yesterday. I'd love to have seen the look on our faces if someone then said to us "4yrs and you'll be paying that for Baker's"

My Christmas Eve and Christmas Day traditions got thrown off this year so I've had to wait a few days to bust out the special pours.

On Christmas Eve, we had friends over for dinner, which we usually do, but after everyone left and as we were cleaning up we discovered a leak in the kitchen sink p-trap and water in the cabinet and all over the floor. By the time we got dishes cleaned up, and the floor and cabinet cleaned up along with a band aid temporary fix on the p-trap, I was too exhausted.

Christmas Day was mostly spent with a neighbor and his adult kids who are into Scotch so I had some fine pours that day but those belong in another forum.

So yesterday after finally declaring victory over a difficult Sonos surround sound system I decided it was time for a reward so I had a succession of small pours to celebrate an open window of relaxation.

PVW20, ER17 (101 proof), EW23, GTS ('19). Boy did that feel good.

• I like it 7

Thursday I cracked my PVW15 to pour some to bring to my parents for our family Christmas get together. Decided to sample some. First time I’ve had and very good.
IMG_4009.jpg
Followed by some OE7BP.
IMG_4010.jpg
Brought a bottle of MM as well to my
Parents since they all enjoy. Got a custom label made for it.
IMG_4011.jpg
Had some ECSmB at dinner last night.

• I like it 1

My wife is enjoying a much needed break today. She's headed out of town with our daughter in law and her twin sister to see the TransSiberian Orchestra. Soooooo, I'm taking care of things here at home. I'm doing laundry, dishes, and taking our Christmas decorations down. I'm also taking the time to do a partial bourbon inventory since it's been hectic around here lately and I'm not 100% sure if I kept track of everything correctly. I've gotten bottles for others, and others have gotten bottles for me. I'm almost done with lunch. When I get done eating, I'll begin a slow climb up the Weller ladder. :P  

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

13 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

.......and taking our Christmas decorations down.......

Whoa there!! Too soon! Have some WLW and reconsider this action. There's still time to be festive and enjoy some Weller under the twinkle of the Christmas lights.

• I like it 1

6 minutes ago, flahute said:

Whoa there!! Too soon! Have some WLW and reconsider this action. There's still time to be festive and enjoy some Weller under the twinkle of the Christmas lights.

Too late Steve. We don't put up very many decorations, so I'm already done. First pour is now in the glass. 

Biba! Joe

P1140469.jpeg

• I like it 1

19 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Too late Steve. We don't put up very many decorations, so I'm already done. First pour is now in the glass. 

Biba! Joe

P1140469.jpeg

Good choice Joe. I finished an OWA earlier, now tapping into a WSR, ala Joe, that was bought at Spec's this morning. There were several other reasonably priced alternatives, but bought the WSR because the last one I had was decent. 

Edited by Phil T
  • I like it 1

3 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Yikes on the price. 

Remember when we were offended by almost $10/yr for WFE?

Feels like yesterday. I'd love to have seen the look on our faces if someone then said to us "4yrs and you'll be paying that for Baker's"

Let’s just make every bottle $100+ and be done with it. Everything is top top shelf. ?

• I like it 2

Standard Buffalo Trace today.  Normally this isn't my favorite but sometimes I find it hard to beat.  No nonsense and quality.   Works for me.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.