What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Winter 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Pouring some GBS ETL while giving the eye to some 2015 GBS RRSB (two of my favorite GBS picks of the decade - fitting!)

• I like it 2

Getting my line up set for a great NEW YEAR! Trying to closely match proofs on this 1st Flight. I guess after this first flight I'll tone down pours for additional flights. :) 

• I like it 4

5 hours ago, FacePlant said:

Note to self. After a lay over don't start with 120 or higher proof neat to break back in. :) Break back in slowly.

Lol, yeah it should be a no brainer, but I was excited about the bottle. It is tasting much better today.

Happy New Year all! Not bourbon but close, as promised earlier. Whiskey and protein bars, that's how I roll.

IMG_20191231_220508.jpg

• I like it 1

I’ll be ringing in 2020 with some 2018. ^_^  Joe’s 2018 Weller Blend will be in my glass. ;)

Cheers, Biba, and Happy New Year to one and all. 

Joe

• I like it 7

Began the afternoon of the very last day of the decade with a nice pour of WLW from 2014.    Very enjoyable!   ?

Switched a while later (pacing myself for a long evening, as we were hosting a small gathering of family through the 'drop of the ball').    The servings were pretty muted.      Three of the 5 gathered were abstaining!    ?

My daughter and I had a pour of David Nicholson Reserve, me: neat; her: mixed with Praline liquor and an added cube, the way she likes.     She bailed after one pour and I was left to try (unsuccessfully) to drain the low-fill bottle.     ?So the shelf-space I was hoping for is still occupied by that DNR.   Oh well, I'll kill it off and replace it in the rotation with something different within a week or two.

Cheers to the New Year!   ?

• I like it 3

Doing my usual New Year’s Day thing.  Built a fire in the fire ring and in the process of making a Hoppin’ John.  For those of you not of the Southern Affliction, A hoppin john is basically red beans and rice only using black-eyed peas instead of beans. It allows me to adhere to the Southern tradition of having black-eyed peas on NYD for Health in the coming year).  I always use Savovie’s andouille sauasage in mine and I addded in some smoked pork belly this year for additional flavoring.  Looking forward to having this later. I plan to pair it with some ER10 as I believe the sweetness of the ER should go nicely with the spiceiness of the andouille. 

• I like it 5

2 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Began the afternoon of the very last day of the decade with a nice pour of WLW from 2014.    Very enjoyable!   ?

Cheers to the New Year!   ?

That hazmat year is what made me a lover of WLW. Soooo much flavor! My 2018 pour last night was the first I've had from that year. Much lower proof but OMG what a tremendous flavor bomb. The others were good but far outclassed by the WLW. Happy New Year Rich.

• I like it 1

Bad coffee down here, on board.

I'll be making up for lost time in February.

Damn, if OGD114 doesn’t continue to confound me. Sipping on it this afternoon out front as the sun begins to set, and it seems so ordinary...again.  The BIB, however, seems to never miss my palates bullseye.  I know this, but the beautiful 114 bottle always draws me in, though, when I see it at a “good” price at the store.  I’ll have occasional good nights with it, but I swear that the BIB is a fuller, richer, more flavorful, and better all around consistently enjoyable pour.  As I near the end of this bottle, I’ll keep it around, and just fill it with the OGD BIB.  ?  And, save myself $15...

• I like it 1

59 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Damn, if OGD114 doesn’t continue to confound me. Sipping on it this afternoon out front as the sun begins to set, and it seems so ordinary...again.  The BIB, however, seems to never miss my palates bullseye.  I know this, but the beautiful 114 bottle always draws me in, though, when I see it at a “good” price at the store.  I’ll have occasional good nights with it, but I swear that the BIB is a fuller, richer, more flavorful, and better all around consistently enjoyable pour.  As I near the end of this bottle, I’ll keep it around, and just fill it with the OGD BIB.  ?  And, save myself $15...

I completely agree.

Found a couple of hollow logs to use as chimneys on my fire. Had a bit of willet pot still while watching it burn. 

4DA0038B-2A22-497B-8EAF-6D36F6BB8597.jpeg

• I like it 3

Tonight celebrating the Minnesota Golden Gophers upset win over Auburn in the Outback Bowl today.   What a season for the Gophers!  Row the Boat, Ski U Mah! Go Gophers!

happy new year1.jpg

happy new year.jpg

• I like it 4

Following up with a pour of Stagg Jr. batch #8.  You don't hear much about this one but it's a buttscotch/caramel/apricot/oak/vanilla bomb on the nose and great flavors without a ton of heat on the palate.

stagg jr batch 8.jpg

• I like it 1

Some 10y OESF this evening.

Fairly mint forward with some light caramel and fruit lurking in the shadows.

I usually don’t care much for this recipe, but this afternoon a friend wanted to try it, and I found it to be quite enjoyable today.

Perhaps it was the company!

:)

A293927B-E6CC-45C2-B48A-28B27FE3DFD6.jpeg

• I like it 4

25 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Some 10y OESF this evening.

Fairly mint forward with some light caramel and fruit lurking in the shadows.

I usually don’t care much for this recipe, but this afternoon a friend wanted to try it, and I found it to be quite enjoyable today.

Perhaps it was the company!

:)

A293927B-E6CC-45C2-B48A-28B27FE3DFD6.jpeg

It's generally my least favorite, but I've found exceptions that I've really enjoyed.

@CardsandBourbon Why did you start a winter 2019 thread on Dec 24, man, this is confusing :)

After a pointless all nighter celebrating the new year all by myself in my dark cold studio, got up at 7PM today, and, yeah, having a hard time going to sleep now. 2oz pours from J Magnus, last drops from a WT101, and Balcones True Blue in the hopes of passing out. Gotta go to work tomorrow.

Went out to lunch with my parents to a brewery/bar in Poughkeepsie, NY and noticed a few nice bottles, had a pour of 4R 130th for $13 and this years GTS for $12, was shocked by the prices, too bad it wasn't closer to home. Both of the bartenders poured a 1 1/2 oz pour and then added an extra splash on top, pretty sure the pours were cheaper than I've paid per ounce on a bottle in a number of years. Came home and decided to have 1 more nice pour. 

y4m46eSpK3HYTv5QOvXCpkfMS5Eb30mc1Lv3bDwB

• I like it 13

51 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Went out to lunch with my parents to a brewery/bar in Poughkeepsie, NY and noticed a few nice bottles, had a pour of 4R 130th for $13 and this years GTS for $12, was shocked by the prices, too bad it wasn't closer to home. Both of the bartenders poured a 1 1/2 oz pour and then added an extra splash on top, pretty sure the pours were cheaper than I've paid per ounce on a bottle in a number of years. Came home and decided to have 1 more nice pour. 

y4m46eSpK3HYTv5QOvXCpkfMS5Eb30mc1Lv3bDwB

I live in Poughkeepsie! Mind if I ask where you enjoyed these pours? 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.