What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Winter 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Went to New Riff to pick up a couple bottles of rye Saturday, and of course I stopped in TPS. The bourbon selection was pretty pedestrian, but I totally expected that. I miss the days when they had a boat load of SBs from most of the majors. They always had all 10 recipes from FR, and when they would sell out of one barrel, they always had a backup barrel to restock the shelves. I am also surprised by the pricing. A lot of everyday bourbons/ryes are priced higher than here in OH. Any way, I did buy a couple bottles of VOB 100 proof, and that is what I'm drinking now.

Prost!   Phil 

• I like it 1

49 minutes ago, Phil T said:

Went to New Riff to pick up a couple bottles of rye Saturday, and of course I stopped in TPS. The bourbon selection was pretty pedestrian, but I totally expected that. I miss the days when they had a boat load of SBs from most of the majors. They always had all 10 recipes from FR, and when they would sell out of one barrel, they always had a backup barrel to restock the shelves. I am also surprised by the pricing. A lot of everyday bourbons/ryes are priced higher than here in OH. Any way, I did buy a couple bottles of VOB 100 proof, and that is what I'm drinking now.

Prost!   Phil 

I echo these sentiments.  TPS just isn't worth going to for bourbon anymore, as it's everyone's first stop when touring northern KY.  I definitely miss the huge selection of FR single barrels...the things we take for granted, huh?

They still maintain a great Scotch selection, but the prices are significantly higher than here in Ohio as well...

• I like it 1

9 minutes ago, sbsbsb said:

I echo these sentiments.  TPS just isn't worth going to for bourbon anymore, as it's everyone's first stop when touring northern KY. 

Yeah, I came to that conclusion a few years ago myself.    I think my last stop there was on the way down to Bardstown in the Spring of 2017.   Even then it was mediocre as far as selection, and nary a bargain to be found.   I think I bought a 4-R pick, and one other bourbon I can't recall.    Haven't been back since.

• I like it 1

Right you are sb and Rich. What I saw Saturday is nothing new. In my opinion, everything changed when Lewis sold the business to the employees. And, unfortunately, not for the better.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Phil T said:

Right you are sb and Rich. What I saw Saturday is nothing new. In my opinion, everything changed when Lewis sold the business to the employees. And, unfortunately, not for the better.

That's really a shame. While I've never physically been in the store, back when they could ship booze I used to buy a fair amount from them strictly because of what they had to offer.

• I like it 1

Still clearing out oldies but (not necessarily) goodies I found in the back of the bunker.  THIS one (pic below) has been around since 2012-2014.  It is a Willett Pot Still Reserve Single Barrel 94 proof NAS - bottle 91 of 282 from barrel 8924.  Rumor has it that it's HH.  It runs a little hot for a 94 proof and has a slight sooty finish. BUT, that could be from the dregs in the coffee cup I'm am drinking it from - sat down in front of the TV before I realized I had no glass, just a leftover coffee cup from this AM.  Oh, well.  In the nose and on the palate, it has a slight acetone/young note which is not unpleasant but is still there.  I don't remember what I paid for it ($50-60?), but at least some of that money helped them pay for their distillery.  I want a deed or something like JD gives to Tennessee Squires to hang on my wall.  After all, I was an early buyer.IMG_0656.thumb.JPG.3cf8d645868d4fc899454c281848b2ca.JPGIMG_0654.thumb.JPG.51a7a13c89730bdc2791a7d92ac0aeaf.JPG

• I like it 4

MORE on my Willett Pot Still Reserve Single Barrel which I just opened -- If you have never bought one of these Willett carafes/decanters, PLEASE BE ADVISED that, when pouring from them, the gurgling is loud enough to be heard by a person reclining on the couch in the living room which is a good 20 feet down a hallway.  TO WIT: "MY GOD!  What's causing the toilet to make THAT NOISE??!!"

A word to the wise . . .:wub:

EDIT -- ANOTHER WARNING!  Yeah, I made fun of this earlier, but I just caught myself pouring my THIRD two ounce helping into my coffee cup, and I haven't had dinner yet.  I guess it's better than I thought it would be.  DAMN YOUR EYES, HH.!!!

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 7

I'm itching to see one of these bottles fashioned into a water pipe. Cheeky Kulsveens!!

• I like it 2

Having a bit of Buffalo Trace tonight. First day back at work so I need some re-entry lubricant. 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

MORE on my Willett Pot Still Reserve Single Barrel which I just opened -- If you have never bought one of these Willett carafes/decanters, PLEASE BE ADVISED that, when pouring from them, the gurgling is loud enough to be heard by a person reclining on the couch in the living room which is a good 20 feet down a hallway.  TO WIT: "MY GOD!  What's causing the toilet to make THAT NOISE??!!"

A word to the wise . . .:wub:

EDIT -- ANOTHER WARNING!  Yeah, I made fun of this earlier, but I just caught myself pouring my THIRD two ounce helping into my coffee cup, and I haven't had dinner yet.  I guess it's better than I thought it would be.  DAMN YOUR EYES, HH.!!!

@Harry in WashDC, I had a hearty laugh at this post! I've never bought one of those Willett pot still designed carafes, but I sure do enjoy some of my old bottles of Willett! Glad you're enjoying it this evening. It sounds like a killer bottle, even if it does make for some loud toilet gurgling! ?

Cheers,

Nancy

• I like it 1

This is really pretty good!  Second time I visited this one & have been impressed.  Should be good for what I paid in the gift shop for it, but when in Rome... :rolleyes:

3F9CB6E1-CE23-4131-B452-1366C9030524.jpeg

Don’t see a winter open bottle thread so will post here. This is the one. The barrel that made me realize that JD can make some incredible whiskey. Also one of my personal best pours of 2018.

I had previously tried a different JDSBBP pick and it was . . . Not good . . . At all. When this barrel arrived my LS told me it was a totally different profile from the first and I grudgingly bought one.

Oh. My. Gawd. Very Unique nose (I can’t quite place it) and huge brown sugar, caramelized banana flavors on the palate. Dangerously smooth, it drinks well under its 135.7pf (like 100ish).  Bought a second bottle and killed both quickly. Few months later was told they had 3 more that were never picked up by a customer. Bought one to revisit and was back next day for the other two. Since that time I’ve sat on those other bottles as if they were Pappy/BTAC just waiting for the right moment to open. 

Well today is that day because I just booked a trip to Lynchburg next week where I will be participating in a JD BP pick!  So this is Research and all that. Man, I hope we can find something even close to this barrel.

Is it bad form to bring an outside sample to a pick for comparison? Pretty sure I’m about to be that guy. 

47F916AB-092B-46BF-88F9-0D0E6651D1DB.jpeg

• I like it 8

One of my favorite bottles decided to make an appearance after a rough day at work.   I just wish this was easier to get. 

1F180518-3F41-497C-9F22-820F3D62A7AB.jpeg

• I like it 1

Taking a break from the Willett PSR SiB (circa 2013/14) I opened last night; it is young (with its corn whiskey, slightly oily undertone), but it IS GOOD!

Tonight, it is OF 1897 BIB purchased on sale this week.   Not too much, though, as we are hitting a museum in Richmond, VA, early AM WED.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
The "j" key spontaneously put a "j" in "whiskey". MOTHER DUCK!!
  • I like it 2

On 1/6/2020 at 7:32 PM, Guss West said:

I'm itching to see one of these bottles fashioned into a water pipe. Cheeky Kulsveens!!

FWIW, with a two-hole silicon cork, some surgical tubing, a PYREX(tm) or equivalent pipette for burning stuff, and some 5MM OD bent glass straws/tubes, one could turn one of these into a water pipe for less than $30 including tax and shipping based on a rough estimate I pulled together earlier today while waiting for the snow/sleet to start.  My pricing came from some chem/bio supply houses I found online.  I did NOT use Amazon or ALI-ABA for this.  On knowledge and belief (because I've done it), basic surgical tubing will not collapse when sucked on when used in a bong-type instrument, usually.  ASIDE - As Ringo Starr said, "NoNoNo, I don't do that no more.  I'm tired of waking up on the floor."

• I like it 2

Began the evening with a very satisfying sip of a blend of EWB, EWBIB, and 1783. Ended the evening with a very tasty sip of WR batch proof 2018, really hitting its stride.

Pat

WR BP 1.jpg

• I like it 3

McKenna BIB bottled 5/29/09 unusually poor example of the species yet killed 2/3 bottle while binging Netflix messiah series.   seemed to be the perfect mix.

Started with the EW BIB, but after seeing Cuse lose, yet again, needed a follow up pour of OE7 BS. Cuse basketball is draining my bottles.

I was given a small pour totally blind and I offered my best guess that it was SFTB. Not a terrible guess as it was a relative, 2019 GTS. The lower proof this year makes it very drinkable without water or ice, as opposed to some of the much higher proof years. I liked it but I’ll need a few more real sized pours to develop a more informed opinion. 

• I like it 3

I picked up this Neat taster at my favorite local. I've been wanting one for a while, and when yesterday I saw they had gotten these it was a no brainer to go snag one. Might as well break it in with the NAS of a classic. 

20200108_174734.jpg

• I like it 1

Working through a semi-regular rotation of bourbons.  In the line up is WT101.  Always enjoyable and a great value in my mind.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.