What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Winter 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This is the first barrel pick ever from Bulleit.  Nice sweetness with a little spice on the back end.  Four Roses for sure, just can’t put my finger on the recipe.  Tastes like a OBS-something. :D

98FC1D43-85EC-4AD0-A086-3B338A5A652F.jpeg

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

This is the first barrel pick ever from Bulleit.  Nice sweetness with a little spice on the back end.  Four Roses for sure, just can’t put my finger on the recipe.  Tastes like a OBS-something. :D

Funny you mention it, 

there is actually an "E" yeast that Four Roses uses/used for some of the Bulleit barrels.

The barrels are stamped like normal, but he final "E" is reversed, to prevent it from being mistaken for a weakly stamped "F".

If you search OESE you'll find some previous threads about it.

image.png.5961d5311df72fecbe711aa41accae80.pngT

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 5

2 hours ago, 0895 said:

Funny you mention it, 

there is actually an "E" yeast that Four Roses uses/used for some of the Bulleit barrels.

The barrels are stamped like normal, but he final "E" is reversed, to prevent it from being mistaken for a weakly stamped "F".

If you search OESE you'll find some previous threads about it.

image.png.5961d5311df72fecbe711aa41accae80.pngT

And this is why I continue to peruse these boards.  Learn something new all the time. 

• I like it 3

Working on finishing off this one last night to make some room. One more small pour.
IMG_4058.jpg

• I like it 1

My first bottle of the Belle Meade.  Had it in a bar in Nashville and when they set the glass down, everyone around my table said they could smell bourbon from their seat.  Have to admit the nose is great.  My wife is right now asking about the "caramelly smell" coming from the glass.

IMG_20200109_170634852.jpg

• I like it 4

5 hours ago, TwoFingers said:

My first bottle of the Belle Meade.  Had it in a bar in Nashville and when they set the glass down, everyone around my table said they could smell bourbon from their seat.  Have to admit the nose is great.  My wife is right now asking about the "caramelly smell" coming from the glass.

IMG_20200109_170634852.jpg

My first bottle also.  Just started showing up here in Ohio.  Not a high rye drinker myself,  but I think I made a very nice choice.

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, Bret Bret said:

My first bottle also.  Just started showing up here in Ohio.  Not a high rye drinker myself,  but I think I made a very nice choice.

I usually like higher rye content but I don't pick up alot of rye spice.  I find it very enjoyable though.  It is normally available here but, as cheap as I am, I wasn't sure I wanted to pay $45 or so for it.  I found it for $35 and figured I'd spring for it.

It’s pretty damn good...

6588EFFE-9302-44A6-8624-48852E6A6365.thumb.jpeg.ceb6ff9ce038d600c8e842a6edb998d0.jpeg

Good to know. Been seeing positive stuff except on r/bourbon.

1 hour ago, marshall9779 said:

Good to know. Been seeing positive stuff except on r/bourbon.

The finish has a tannic note that honestly I could do without, but I feel it’s solid for the money & there’s a nice uniqueness to it that I think will have me going to it regularly.  We’ll see next time what effect a drop or two of water & some air in the bottle has on it.  

• I like it 1

A nice pour of WT101 after my first full week of work in about a month. Cheers, everyone!

Edited by dboland
  • I like it 3

It was a long, ugly week at work. A ps Weller SR is in the glass now, and probably again later after supper. I might be putting a dent in a couple of bottles this weekend.  Our weather forecast calls for a couple of winter storms to roll through.  My wife stopped at the grocery store on her way home from work, so we’re all good there. We have all the fixins for chili, so guess what? Bourbon and chili. Mmmmmmm.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 7

13 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

It was a long, ugly week at work. A ps Weller SR is in the glass now, and probably again later after supper. I might be putting a dent in a couple of bottles this weekend.  Our weather forecast calls for a couple of winter storms to roll through.  My wife stopped at the grocery store on her way home from work, so we’re all good there. We have all the fixins for chili, so guess what? Bourbon and chili. Mmmmmmm.

Biba! Joe

For winter storms you have to stock up on milk, bread, and eggs! Apparently French toast is the food to eat if you get snowed in.

1 minute ago, Clueby said:

For winter storms you have to stock up on milk, bread, and eggs! Apparently French toast is the food to eat if you get snowed in.

Screw that! ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

Trying one of my experiment to start my weekend.  IN 2014, my wife and I had a bucket list trip to Bora Bora.  WHile there, I managed to acquire a few Tahitian Vanilla beans.  WHen I came back, I put them into a pint bottle of Jim Beam Black that i had on hand.  The bottle has set in the back of my liquor closet until I remembered it yesterday.  As you may expect, it has a wonderful vanilla flavor. The thoughts to Bora Bora before the expected ice storm tomorrow wams my soul.

92EB1FB1-2667-4528-81B3-D89D00519B59.jpeg

65FA2698-22B9-4D15-9187-10B6750531F0.jpeg

• I like it 10

Tonight's pour is Lot B thanks to the local county's lottery.  Wasn't sure what to expect but I am pleased.  Another one with a great nose.

IMG_20200110_170313120.jpg

• I like it 3

Thanks to a tip from @kevinbrink, I enjoyed a pour of GTS for an unheard of price at a local establishment. Will be going back everyday until the bottle is gone.

IMG_2328.JPG

• I like it 10

When my wife says she's in the mood for a "special bourbon"... thanks Joe

20200110_195253.jpg

20200110_202027.jpg

Edited by ENYAW
  • I like it 8

19 minutes ago, ENYAW said:

When my wife says she's in the mood for a "special bourbon"... thanks Joe

20200110_202027.jpg

Heaven in a glass... ?

• I like it 2

Some ND OGD BIB while waiting for  that $5 pizza to come out of the oven...?.  Which would you pick? 3 DiGiornos, or the bourbon?*

* Trick question.  

97643A45-532B-428E-9345-06B3BB319659.jpeg

22549A18-5FF4-4E18-BD73-FDD502B8E706.jpeg

• I like it 4

Opened this one tonight and it's hitting on all cylinders. Outstanding ?

owa.jpg

• I like it 12

Finally getting around to trying the sample of OBSO that @0895 (thanks, Eric) gave me 4+ months ago. I decided I'd have it sbs with a similarly proofed OBSV. 

I'm definitely glad I got to try the OBSO prior to buying a bottle. The O and F just dont do much for me on their own. Q, K, and V, on the other hand, continue being in my wheelhouse. 

20200110_193124.jpg

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.