What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Winter 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Having a very good glass of some BC 1833 12y to end the night. I'm glad I put a few of these up in the bunker. 

Started the evening off with Blanton's PS, then moved on to Baker's small batch.  Now just poured a Booker's (Dot's batch 2015-dash-something)

6 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Trying one of my experiment to start my weekend.  IN 2014, my wife and I had a bucket list trip to Bora Bora.  WHile there, I managed to acquire a few Tahitian Vanilla beans.  WHen I came back, I put them into a pint bottle of Jim Beam Black that i had on hand.  The bottle has set in the back of my liquor closet until I remembered it yesterday.  As you may expect, it has a wonderful vanilla flavor. The thoughts to Bora Bora before the expected ice storm tomorrow wams my soul.

92EB1FB1-2667-4528-81B3-D89D00519B59.jpeg

65FA2698-22B9-4D15-9187-10B6750531F0.jpeg

I know that view!  My wife and I stayed there in 2017.  Paradise.

Some of you may recall that I recently jumped back on the Old Forester 100 proof train due to the fact that Washington State finally came to its senses and dropped the previously highly inflated price back down to what it's supposed to be.

Damn this is good. I've been hitting it for the past 3-4 nights in a row and tonight it's as good as ever.

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Some ND OGD BIB while waiting for  that $5 pizza to come out of the oven...?.  Which would you pick? 3 DiGiornos, or the bourbon?*

* Trick question.  

97643A45-532B-428E-9345-06B3BB319659.jpeg

22549A18-5FF4-4E18-BD73-FDD502B8E706.jpeg

3 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Opened this one tonight and it's hitting on all cylinders. Outstanding ?

owa.jpg

Da-mn.  Y'all trying to see who can one-up the other tonight?  Bringing out some dusty guns.

pulled out the HH BiB to do a little side by side taste test. It was the winner but the EW bib is perfectly suitable as a value pour as well.

20200111_094428.jpg

• I like it 4

6 minutes ago, Double C's said:

pulled out the HH BiB to do a little side by side taste test. It was the winner but the EW bib is perfectly suitable as a value pour as well.

20200111_094428.jpg

I agree. Now you need to add a pour of JW Dant. 

• I like it 2

Last night with some clients:

CEHT Rye - better than the last time I had it

1792 SiB - pleasant, but nothing special

HW MWND - agree with forum

sentiment that this is nowhere near worth the tariff

Kepler I agree that Bora Bora was paradise. We hope to go back for our 50th in four years.  One of my best memories was sitting on my deck drinking an Hinano beer and watching the rays swim by. Warms the soul on an icy winter day. 

992E6835-372B-44FA-8567-32D8ECAA58DD.jpeg

0B81D988-9729-460F-B1C1-B5D245159E6A.jpeg

• I like it 1

Been a bourbon kind of day. Stated with a bit of larceny, then on to some legendary duke, then finished with a bit of Belle Meade Cognac finished bourbon. Sat in front of a fire with no shoes radio playing. It has been a good day. 

• I like it 2

15 hours ago, Kepler said:

Da-mn.  Y'all trying to see who can one-up the other tonight?  Bringing out some dusty guns.

Nah.....no competition here. Mine was bought at Liquor World in Bardstown during the Sampler in 2011 and isn't a dusty, but the label looks kinda cool. (except for the toll free phone number, web site and email addresses, UPC code and metric bottle size :P). 

• I like it 1

It's cold, it's snowing, and it's the perfect night for a few barrel proof pours. But it just seemed like a good evening for some 90 proofers. I wish I had some 4R SmB to pour too. 

20200111_190909.jpg

• I like it 1

Back in 2014 I bought my first and last Angel's Envy Cask Strength. It's way too port forward and I usually get a sulfur note that's totally off putting.

I decided to give it another go tonight and to my surprise it's not bad. So I'll ride this wave for as long as it lasts. 

I've been on a missions, much like @Harry in WashDC, to drink down the bunker clunkers as he calls them. That's why I grabbed this one tonight.

I'm fully prepared to work my through this one via blending and get it out of my house. Tonight it's working on its own but definitely not worth the price I paid.

As an aside - regarding my plan to work through bunker clunkers, I'm happy to report that I now only have 5 bottles in the entire bunker that are clunkers and three of them work well in cocktails so they are set aside for that.

Zen is rapidly approaching.  

• I like it 5

7 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Nah.....no competition here. Mine was bought at Liquor World in Bardstown during the Sampler in 2011 and isn't a dusty, but the label looks kinda cool. (except for the toll free phone number, web site and email addresses, UPC code and metric bottle size :P). 

Yeah but I saw the 'aged 7 summers' on the label.  It's been while since aged stated antique was around.

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

Kepler I agree that Bora Bora was paradise. We hope to go back for our 50th in four years.  One of my best memories was sitting on my deck drinking an Hinano beer and watching the rays swim by. Warms the soul on an icy winter day. 

992E6835-372B-44FA-8567-32D8ECAA58DD.jpeg

0B81D988-9729-460F-B1C1-B5D245159E6A.jpeg

Love the picture, love the Hinano.  Was there on honeymoon when there were only 4 hotels there. Still with her and still drinking. Cheers!

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, flahute said:

Back in 2014 I bought my first and last Angel's Envy Cask Strength. It's way too port forward and I usually get a sulfur note that's totally off putting.

I decided to give it another go tonight and to my surprise it's not bad. So I'll ride this wave for as long as it lasts. 

I've been on a missions, much like @Harry in WashDC, to drink down the bunker clunkers as he calls them. That's why I grabbed this one tonight.

I'm fully prepared to work my through this one via blending and get it out of my house. Tonight it's working on its own but definitely not worth the price I paid.

As an aside - regarding my plan to work through bunker clunkers, I'm happy to report that I now only have 5 bottles in the entire bunker that are clunkers and three of them work well in cocktails so they are set aside for that.

Zen is rapidly approaching.  

I'm glad you brought up the topic of bunker clunkers.  Great term, btw.  This past year I received a current version of Willett Pot Still from someone as a gift.  First time I'd tasted the new stuff since they discontinued the single barrel product.  I recalled that you once said that some modern KBD products tasted like wet cardboard, if I'm not mistaken.  I remember that I thought at the time that I've never tasted wet cardboard in a bourbon.  Well, now I have.  You were absolutely right, Lol.

But on bright side I'm finding that using modern WSR as a blending agent makes  a great tonic for bad WPS.  Blending it 50:50 actually makes it fairly tolerable and negates the cardboard note.  So, the moral of my story, folks, is to always try adding some WSR to your bunker clunkers before totally giving up on them.  Now, I still have some old dusty WPS single barrels buried in the bunker somewhere. I sure hope THOSE don't require any WSR blending agent to make them decent ...

• I like it 2

8 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

I know that resort and we stayed at the same place.  Great memory.  Your mention of Hinano beer made me dig up this photo from my own trip.  Haha

20170415_162420.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.