What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Winter 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thanks to a friend in the Windy City for providing this one.  I cannot remember if it was a store pick or the national release.

Very interesting to finally try this sample.

Not quite sure how I feel about it.  Tastes like candy.  Not sure how else to describe it.  The weller sweetness lingers in the background, but the proof really dominates this bourbon.

In a strange way, thus far, I feel about this much like I do 1792FP.  It’s good, but not my favorite product from the line.

26027876-CAC5-4265-A35A-DA8EE88451A0.jpeg

Edited by 0895

4 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Was up on a ladder in the utility room getting a water filter for the fridge (damn yellow light been blinking for A WEEK!!) and noticed a good-but-lesser HMcK 10YR BIB (barrel 5877, barreled 20 NOV 2008) on a really high shelf (out of wife's sight, out of wife's mind:rolleyes:).  I only picked up three of these last year including the one I tasted before buying the other two  - nice but not road-trip, hard hunting-worthy IMO.  It's rich and slightly showing its 10 years in oak (think EC age stated 12 YR) which is a tad oakey for me, usually.  Nevertheless, I'm glad I bought the extras.

A side benefit - it's not a clunker, but pulling it down does free up some bunker space.  IOW, the bunker winnowing continues.

EDIT - Uh, it can't be all THAT oakey.  I just caught myself refilling an empty glass.  First 1.8 or so OZ took all of 4 minutes to "evaporate".  Had to shame myself to delay that third pour.

On the subject of bunker clunkers (THANKS for that phrase) that Angel's Envy Cask Strength from 2014 I mentioned the other night, the one that tasted OK after so many fails - I got into it again and it was right back to the pour I've been hating since 2014. (I think I just don't like sherry/port finished bourbons). I tried to blend it out with some AA 10*. No good. So here I was again trying to decide what to do with an expensive bourbon I didn't like.

I decided I have way too much good whiskey to torture myself for two weeks as I struggle to empty it sooooo...........I drain poured it. 

That was an expensive drain pour. Confirmation of another lesson learned. And today? I don't regret the decision. (To drain pour that is.)

• I like it 2

33 minutes ago, flahute said:

On the subject of bunker clunkers (THANKS for that phrase) that Angel's Envy Cask Strength from 2014 I mentioned the other night, the one that tasted OK after so many fails - I got into it again and it was right back to the pour I've been hating since 2014. (I think I just don't like sherry/port finished bourbons). I tried to blend it out with some AA 10*. No good. So here I was again trying to decide what to do with an expensive bourbon I didn't like.

I decided I have way too much good whiskey to torture myself for two weeks as I struggle to empty it sooooo...........I drain poured it. 

That was an expensive drain pour. Confirmation of another lesson learned. And today? I don't regret the decision. (To drain pour that is.)

I did the same thing with an AE Rye a few years ago. Absolutely horrible stuff....

• I like it 1

20 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

I did the same thing with an AE Rye a few years ago. Absolutely horrible stuff....

Are you also secretly my brother?

Had a Wild Turkey night after taking the wife out for dinner for our 8th wedding anniversary. We’ve been together around a decade so the real night cap is some decades! Cheers.

EB0597E9-63A6-4DE8-8895-8D7737380F8D.jpeg

• I like it 11

Had a Wild Turkey night after taking the wife out for dinner for our 8th wedding anniversary. We’ve been together around a decade so the real night cap is some decades! Cheers.
EB0597E9-63A6-4DE8-8895-8D7737380F8D.thumb.jpeg.1d8ac08bf27d8250d9e8b8b19e05ff8b.jpeg

Very nice lineup.

7 hours ago, flahute said:

(I think I just don't like sherry/port finished bourbons).

The brotherhood is strong. I've decided I don't like sherry/port finished ANYTHING, unless it's PX, which is a totally different animal. 

• I like it 1

I’ll bring a case of 23andMe kits to the Gazebo in April so y’all can settle this once and for all.
  • I like it 2

Lately the KC SiB picks in my Canadian Glencairn with a few drops of water have been super tasty. This pour with some moose tracks ice is incredible. 

20200115_185506.jpg

• I like it 3

46 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

Lately the KC SiB picks in my Canadian Glencairn with a few drops of water have been super tasty. This pour with some moose tracks ice is incredible. 

20200115_185506.jpg

Lovely Pic, Whammie!   That;s a fine and full-colored pour there, I must say.

• I like it 2

22 hours ago, flahute said:

I'd never admit to it Steve, but only because it would mean that "other guy" would then be my brother as well :P

Just typing those words sent a cold shiver down my spine...... :D

• I like it 1

Just popped a Bakers 13. Will have to have a few pours before giving thoughts on it. 

• I like it 2

23 hours ago, flahute said:

Thanks.  Gary(Vosgar)'s follow post struck a nerve here, too.  My wife's the one who has encouraged the dumping/gifting (with appropriate warnings like, "I don't like this, but you might (depending on the recipient) but if not, don't hesitate to pass it on or dump it.") of lesser lights.  Or just outright dumping.  Heck, I'm in my mid- 70s!  A taste for port and sherry finished  bourbons (like port and sherry finished scotches and Irish), really are something that you like or don't like.  I do like some finished bourbons and Irish, but the scotches are tougher to like for me.

TONIGHT -- Continuing my neat sipping of McH 10 YR BIB Barrel 5877.  It still reminds me of an EC 12YR aged stated re: its oak.  Not overwhelming, just not my fave.  With one melted small ice cube taking it to about 96 proof, it is easier on the throat and just as flavorful.

• I like it 1

Having my first experience with JTS Brown BIB tonight.  Yep, its HH. I liked the discontinued HH 6 BIB better but this is better than EW BIB to me. 

I think it was maybe $12.

• I like it 3

31 minutes ago, Three quarks said:

In my area OGD 114 is $21, while OGD Bonded is $24. I wonder if the bonded has more age than 114 (or something else to justify the higher price)

I am an OGD BIB whore.  I consume more OGD BIB than almost everything else combined (UNLESS I tell the truth that I consume more OGB BIB than ALL other bourbons and ryes combined).  I also have more OGD 114 bunkered than a sane human would have just in case somebody starts an other rumor that it will be discontinued.  Let me say this about your rumination - and keep in mind that this is an anecdotal observation.

When I dilute 114 to 100 proof of thereabouts, it does have a slightly different profile than the classic OGD BIB.  Maybe that's due to the water where I am (although the difference exists regardless of whether I use filtered, melted ice cube water, WashDC tap water (which is really good - a college classmate of mine was in charge of its purity, and I trust his skills - we went through Ranger School together) , or well water on vacation).  My guess is that the BIB may be around 6 YO while the 114 is slightly younger and is from  4+ YO barrels that skilled palates think will NOT get better with age.  But then, I just made all that up.

IOW, I think the price difference is due to "what the market will bear".  I do recall some years ago when 114, diluted to 100 proof, was cheaper per ounce than BIB per ounce. Some discussion on SB and on some other blogs noted this - "Why buy BIB when you can buy 114 and dilute it yourself and SAVE!!!! 4 cents per ounce!!!!!!"  Shorty thereafter,  the price inversion corrected itself.  I sure hope those Trolls are happy with their work.

• I like it 4

On 1/14/2020 at 10:22 PM, Vosgar said:

Made my wife drink the dregs.  She's the one who said, "OH, LOOK!!  Why don't we try THIS?!"  It was bourbon.  I said, "OK, let's."  It was almost worth preserving marital bliss.  Almost.

2 hours ago, marshall9779 said:

Hit the spot last night. Seemed to have a better nose out of a rocks glass.
IMG_4073.jpg

Love the MM coaster in the back, I use mine all the time.

• I like it 1

Couple small pours of OF 1910 last night. I like it, but prefer the 1920.  I think the thing that trips me up is it is so buttery. I've enjoyed that bottle but not sure I'll seek out another one. 

Dinner and a few tastes (1 oz. pours) with my son last night.  Great bourbon selection and great prices on most items too.  My first taste of Weller Full Proof and, I have to say, it's delicious!  Sweet, fruity notes and great mouthfeel.  Like a baby WLW.  Also, I'd never tried WT Decades either and wow, what a deep and complex bourbon!  The GTS  (2018) was, of course, amazing... 

beer baron.jpg

• I like it 4

Truth be told, I don't particularly like either. These two never agree with me. I'd rather get an OWA.

IMG_20200116_170520.jpg

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.