What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Winter 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

7 hours ago, marshall9779 said:

I did get an ORVW. Unfortunately even the RC-6 is allocated and the only way to get a lot of allocated stuff in my county are their whiskey events by either camping out or their lotteries.

Glad you got something.  I was a annoyed that they held that event on a Friday.  People do work for a living.  I figured that I did well enough in the county lottery that I wasn't going to stress over the event.  

• I like it 1

1792 FP.. man talk about banana taffy.. thats an odd phenomenon.  Is that a  fairly regular thing with these?

5 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

1792 FP.. man talk about banana taffy.. thats an odd phenomenon.  Is that a  fairly regular thing with these?

The banana note is something I get to varying degrees in the standard 1792 line-up.  

• I like it 2

22 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Weller 12 while getting the silent treatment.  Win/win?

I let out a small laugh when I read this. My wife asked what I was laughing at. I told here just the usual stuff on the site.  Her response accompanied by the “wife look”,  “Uh huh.” <_<

Biba! Joe

• I like it 6

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

The banana note is something I get to varying degrees in the standard 1792 line-up.  

I didnt find it very appealing. Dont think Ill buy another Of these. Never detected it in other offerings. Undeniable banana though. Very strange.

1 minute ago, FasterHorses said:

I didnt find it very appealing. Dont think Ill buy another Of these. Never detected it in other offerings. Undeniable banana though. Very strange.

Jack Daniel’s whiskies exhibit the similar banana note, and I’ll even catch it in other Brown Forman Old Foresters, at times.  

• I like it 4

23 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Jack Daniel’s whiskies exhibit the similar banana note, and I’ll even catch it in other Brown Forman Old Foresters, at times.  

JD has it in spades. The difference us that Barton tastes like fresh bananas or bananas Foster while JD tastes like overripe or almost rotten bananas to me.

2 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

I get banana a lot in 1792 

Wild Turkey night. Several RRSIB PS tonight, followed by WT101.  Not much difference between the RRSiB's. But, I must say the RRSiB from the "B" warehouse was more interesting than "A" or " F" for me. 

Cheers 

• I like it 1

I'd never admit to it Steve, but only because it would mean that "other guy" would then be my brother as well [emoji14]

Just typing those words sent a cold shiver down my spine...... [emoji3]

LOL!!! [emoji23][emoji12]

16 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

I'll add that it also depends on if it is a single barrel pick or not.

I've had some store pick full proofs that have almost no banana flavor, and others that are as you describe.  If they dodge the banana, they usually seem to take on a strong caramel and or molasses note.

The "regular" releases from the distillery almost always have some sort of banana, regardless of the product (FP, BiB, SmB, SB, etc.)

The exception being the "aged twelve years" national release, which tasted of cherry and oak (in an Eagle Rare kind of way) to me.

My general take on full proof private picks is to try before you buy... unless it has a cool aftermarket sticker applied to the bottle.... then you know it has to be good! ;)

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 2

16 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

I have a friend who absolutely loves Gentleman Jack. I can't drink it because of the overwhelming banana flavor. However, I have never tasted any banana in a 1792 iteration. Interesting how palates differ. 

• I like it 1

I'm with Phil - I've never noticed any banana in Barton/1792 products.  Maybe I'm just not sensitive to it.

I'm having my Sunday afternoon coffee, which means there's a splash of Early Times BIB in it ?

27 minutes ago, Phil T said:

I have a friend who absolutely loves Gentleman Jack. I can't drink it because of the overwhelming banana flavor. However, I have never tasted any banana in a 1792 iteration. Interesting how palates differ. 

Like you, I detect a lot of banana in Jack products. For me it's the lower proof and/or age products where I detect it. I don't get it in the barrel proof single barrel.

• I like it 3

IMG_4052.thumb.jpg.06f725ff31d1b5eb3acbc583f0a49014.jpg

I'm not a big Maker's guy.  In fact, I can't remember when  I last bought a bottle of Maker's or had a pour.  But from what I remember this is a big step up.  I remember liking samples of the barrel proof I had at the Gazebo years ago when it was first introduced.  This is very solid whiskey that benefits from the added proof.  The nose is beautiful:  basically transports me to a Kentucky rickhouse on a warm spring day (dust and wood).  And the taste follows with a gentle warmth but a bite that's missing for me at 90 proof.  Tasting it against an old bottle of 8 year WT 101, it shows at a lighter weight class but is every bit as sweet a puncher.  Which is saying a lot for me because I love old WT 101.   Winter baking spices and burnt orange.  The finish is deep  and long lasting.  It is even on the tongue without the sides-of-the-tongue astringency that is part of the WT's appeal.   Well integrated whiskey that fulfills the promise of the nose in the taste and of the flavor in the finish.   The packaging is perfect for Christmas, all Santa red and gold foil.  

Highly recommended and arguably an exemplar of the wheated style.  (Care to weigh in about that, Joe?)

-Mike

Edited by scratchline
Respect for better informed opinions
  • I like it 3

3 hours ago, flahute said:

Like you, I detect a lot of banana in Jack products. For me it's the lower proof and/or age products where I detect it. I don't get it in the barrel proof single barrel.

Agree wholeheartedly.  The BPSB is the only JD "bourbon" expression I've bought more than once in the last ten years.  I also could never figure out Gentleman Jack.

EDIT - oh, yeah, THE THREAD - what I drinking?  VBT 713.  AND THE DAMN SOUND IS STILL NOT BACK FOR THE TENN-KC GAME.  Well, if it were FOX, it could be that Joe Buck guy calling the game in which case I'd have the sound off anyway.  So, maybe I shouldn't complain too much even if it is CBS.

Edited by Harry in WashDC

One thing that I think is apparent from discussions I’ve been involved in regarding the “banana note”, is that each of us is hard wired to varying degrees on our sensory perception of it, as well as how it manifests itself from a like v dislike perspective to each.  I know some people who don’t get the note from a given whiskey (and I think that note is perceived in a different way), and some other people who can get it from a bottle opened across the room.  And, the notice/like/tolerate/hate opinions are strong.  It’s an odd bird.  I’m not sure that I can say that any other note in bourbon tasting is more polarizing among enthusiasts...outside of maybe the degree of “ethanol/alcohol” dominance perception.  

• I like it 4

FR SiB. This has always been a favorite of mine with the rye kick. Every time I have it I’m reminded of a conversation I had with Jim Rutledge at a tasting event about the possibility of FR ever making a rye. He desperately wanted to do one but wasn’t being allowed according to him, or at least he strongly hinted at that. This was 2012 so way before the split but makes me wonder if he ever gets his own distillery running if he will put out a rye.

22 minutes ago, BMartin42 said:

........ makes me wonder if he ever gets his own distillery running if he will put out a rye.

He will.

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, flahute said:

He will.

One can only hope and dream.  Judging from the relatively high rye in the 4R ten recipes, I'd buy a few.

• I like it 1

41 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

One thing that I think is apparent from discussions I’ve been involved in regarding the “banana note”, is that each of us is hard wired to varying degrees on our sensory perception of it, as well as how it manifests itself from a like v dislike perspective to each.  I know some people who don’t get the note from a given whiskey (and I think that note is perceived in a different way), and some other people who can get it from a bottle opened across the room.  And, the notice/like/tolerate/hate opinions are strong.  It’s an odd bird.  I’m not sure that I can say that any other note in bourbon tasting is more polarizing among enthusiasts...outside of maybe the degree of “ethanol/alcohol” dominance perception.  

I wonder if it's genetic, like with cilantro?

Had a great day with two things I adore: playing my 62 year old Fender P-bass and drinking Old Fitz 15 year. I'm totally shocked at how much I'm liking this bottle, since I'm usually not a wheated bourbon fan. The 11 and 13 y.o. OF editions were alright, but they didn't have me jumping on table tops. I guess since the 15 yr is a little spicier like rye and has some of those typical cherry type notes, candied orange zest, Werther's original caramel candies, with a fruity top note that quickly disappears, and loads of complexity all round, it just hits all the right notes. Plus the 1950's decanter pairs perfectly with my '58 P-bass! ??

On a very separate note, I'd like to affirm what @0895, @smokinjoe, @FasterHorses and others have said about the banana note in Barton 1792 products. That's iso-amyl acetate, which can form from hotter than usual and longer than usual fermentations, which can stress the yeast and create these kind of notes. Also, high original gravities with increased glucose content can lead to these notes, as more short chain esters are produced. 

For the past year I've had an opportunity to work with and blend lots of older Barton/1792 barrels, and I have noticed that the iso-amyl acetate note is very batch specific. When I find it, it's like a slap in the face with banana. When it isn't present in other batches, the bourbon is quite delightful.

At any rate, that's my two cents on the banana topic. Hope everyone's imbibing something delicious this MLK weekend! 

Nancy

IMG_3471.jpg

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 14

I tried a few things. First was a 1792 BIB barrel pick. Quite nice and I bought a bottle. Then I tried the Baker’s single barrel version for the first time. This one was 8 years, 6 months, and it was very rich, I was pleasantly surprised. I didn’t buy any as it was $20 more than the 1792 BIB barrel which I liked just about as well, and the pricing difference was bigger than the quality difference to me. 

Not bourbon but I then tried two different barrel picks of Whistle Pig. These were both Alberta barrels. Tasty but I didn't like the pricing at $85 or whatever they were, and I generally refer their MGP barrels anyway. But still, pretty good and I wouldn’t think they were a bad purchase if I saw someone else grab either. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.