What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Winter 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Had a great day with two things I adore: playing my 62 year old Fender P-bass and drinking Old Fitz 15 year. I'm totally shocked at how much I'm liking this bottle, since I'm usually not a wheated bourbon fan. The 11 and 13 y.o. OF editions were alright, but they didn't have me jumping on table tops. I guess since the 15 yr is a little spicier like rye and has some of those typical cherry type notes, candied orange zest, Werther's original caramel candies, with a fruity top note that quickly disappears, and loads of complexity all round, it just hits all the right notes. Plus the 1950's decanter pairs perfectly with my '58 P-bass! ??

On a very separate note, I'd like to affirm what @0895, @smokinjoe, @FasterHorses and others have said about the banana note in Barton 1792 products. That's iso-amyl acetate, which can form from hotter than usual and longer than usual fermentations, which can stress the yeast and create these kind of notes. Also, high original gravities with increased glucose content can lead to these notes, as more short chain esters are produced. 

For the past year I've had an opportunity to work with and blend lots of older Barton/1792 barrels, and I have noticed that the iso-amyl acetate note is very batch specific. When I find it, it's like a slap in the face with banana. When it isn't present in other batches, the bourbon is quite delightful.

At any rate, that's my two cents on the banana topic. Hope everyone's imbibing something delicious this MLK weekend! 

Nancy

IMG_3471.jpg

Fantastic!!

Been bouncing around drinking different things, including some OF Rye last night (home run especially at $22), KC SiB Rye, then tonight I started with a pour of Old Ezra 7 yr BP.  They were all good but then I opened a bottle of CEHT SiB I had for a while but just never opened.  Two words, BOURBON ZEN!  Right now I have to say that it was the best pour of bourbon I have ever experienced.  Caramel, chocolate and dark fruit on the nose and the mouth feel and taste I can only compare it to the one time I had a bottle of Dom Perignon.  Everything on the nose was there in the taste but it was the most balanced smoothest pour ever.  Absolutely no heat just tons of flavor.  Of course it's a SiB so I'll probably never be able to find another but thankfully I have this bottle to savor.

• I like it 1

44 minutes ago, Three quarks said:

OGD 114. I would drink Weller only, if I could get it. But since I can't, I have developed a taste for this. The current bottle I have is excellent!

I'm not sure if you could pick two bourbons that are more far apart than these. Curious to hear why you revere Weller as much as you do while also loving OGD114.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Had a great day with two things I adore: playing my 62 year old Fender P-bass and drinking Old Fitz 15 year. I'm totally shocked at how much I'm liking this bottle, since I'm usually not a wheated bourbon fan. The 11 and 13 y.o. OF editions were alright, but they didn't have me jumping on table tops. I guess since the 15 yr is a little spicier like rye and has some of those typical cherry type notes, candied orange zest, Werther's original caramel candies, with a fruity top note that quickly disappears, and loads of complexity all round, it just hits all the right notes. Plus the 1950's decanter pairs perfectly with my '58 P-bass! ??

On a very separate note, I'd like to affirm what @0895, @smokinjoe, @FasterHorses and others have said about the banana note in Barton 1792 products. That's iso-amyl acetate, which can form from hotter than usual and longer than usual fermentations, which can stress the yeast and create these kind of notes. Also, high original gravities with increased glucose content can lead to these notes, as more short chain esters are produced. 

For the past year I've had an opportunity to work with and blend lots of older Barton/1792 barrels, and I have noticed that the iso-amyl acetate note is very batch specific. When I find it, it's like a slap in the face with banana. When it isn't present in other batches, the bourbon is quite delightful.

At any rate, that's my two cents on the banana topic. Hope everyone's imbibing something delicious this MLK weekend! 

Nancy

IMG_3471.jpg

What are those screw holes? Did that have one of those metal pickup covers or are we looking at a conversion?

Edit: nvm, nothing I had in mind actually fits. Cover it is.

(Pouring myself a J.Magnus just for the sake of staying on topic)

Edited by Kane

11 hours ago, 0895 said:

I'll add that it also depends on if it is a single barrel pick or not.

I've had some store pick full proofs that have almost no banana flavor, and others that are as you describe.  If they dodge the banana, they usually seem to take on a strong caramel and or molasses note.

The "regular" releases from the distillery almost always have some sort of banana, regardless of the product (FP, BiB, SmB, SB, etc.)

The exception being the "aged twelve years" national release, which tasted of cherry and oak (in an Eagle Rare kind of way) to me.

My general take on full proof private picks is to try before you buy... unless it has a cool aftermarket sticker applied to the bottle.... then you know it has to be good! ;)

I got bananas on the aged 12 year one too.

I'm a sucker for Rye. This bottle reminds me of after Heaven Hill burned down and they made Rye at BF for a couple years. I bet it was extra aged...too bad Cowdery isn't around to confirm.

IMG_20200119_223220454.jpg

Edited by Bbstout

1 hour ago, JoeTerp said:

I got bananas on the aged 12 year one too.

Interesting.

Did you have the national release, or the Black Friday gift shop release?

.....I’m not sure that I can say that any other note in bourbon tasting is more polarizing among enthusiasts...outside of maybe the degree of “ethanol/alcohol” dominance perception.  

Oh, I don’t know...I think the Flintstone vitamin note perceived by many folks in Dickel is pretty polarizing...just ask Steve. [emoji12]
  • I like it 6

1 hour ago, lcpfratn said:

Oh, I don’t know...I think the Flintstone vitamin note perceived by many folks in Dickel is pretty polarizing...just ask Steve. emoji12.png

CONFIRMED!!!!!!

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Wow, Nancy - I just love it when you talk nerdy to us!  I get goose bumps "up and down muh arms" everytime you do it.  May I buy you a drink or 3 the next time I come out to Fremont to visit my 97-year-old mom?????   ?

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 2

7 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Oh, I don’t know...I think the Flintstone vitamin note perceived by many folks in Dickel is pretty polarizing...just ask Steve. emoji12.png

My thought exactly when I read that. 

• I like it 2

13 hours ago, TheNovaMan said:

I wonder if it's genetic, like with cilantro?

I'm pretty sure there is some sort of genetic component to this.  What gene?  Who knows.  It is a pretty classic demonstration in biology courses to pass around vials containing different substances and then poll the class to see who could smell which.  That can explain some of the differences between people's tastes.  Since smell and taste are so closely linked, little variations in ether (say from a cold, or something you ate) can really alter how one perceives flavors.  That is my belief when folks talk about a bourbon tasting one way on a certain day, then different the next. 

I don't seem to have the banana gene, as I have never come across that in JD or Barton/1792 products.  I do  have the Dickel gene.  That one I noticed right away.  As for polarizing, I think the Dickel vitamin smell is pretty off putting.

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Yep.  That may go to Spot #1.  ?

• I like it 1

Sb.com polarizing flavors scale:

1) Dickel vitamins 

2) Barton (and to a lesser extent B-F) bananas

3) MGP rye dill

4) Beam peanuts 

5) HH “ying” (term coined by Dawn G)

on topic had pour of FR SmBLE ‘19 as a nightcap. The best since ‘15 IMO if I haven’t tooted that horn yet. 

• I like it 8

11 hours ago, Kane said:

What are those screw holes? Did that have one of those metal pickup covers or are we looking at a conversion?

Edit: nvm, nothing I had in mind actually fits. Cover it is.

(Pouring myself a J.Magnus just for the sake of staying on topic)

@Kane, no conversions, it's just where the old style "ashtray" pickup covers used to sit. Unfortunately it was long gone by the time I got ahold of the bass. 

Ur, just to stay on topic, my pouring myself some bourbon in my breakfast cereal instead of milk (not really, of course! ?

3 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

pouring myself some bourbon in my breakfast cereal instead of milK

It's actually pretty damn good in warm oatmeal with raisins.

• I like it 3

5 hours ago, Old Dusty said:

4) Beam peanuts 

5) HH “ying” (term coined by Dawn G)

I thought we usually called the Beam peanutty smell/flavor "Beam funk"?  Peanuts is a pretty good descriptor for it though.  To me, the HH "ying" is a somewhat vegetably flavor.  Put it in coffee and you'll really notice it!

Yep Beam funk, HH funk, they all have some “house style tell”.  Some predominant flavors can be detected by most folks. Beam , for me, is peanuts especially in the younger expressions. And it’s really dialed up in Bookers  but fades for me by the time you get to say a KC single barrel in the 12-14 yr range. 

582089C3-D07F-4B82-9C3F-70870B4979DC.thumb.jpeg.04577ce37427ff09191d90b3c252521e.jpeg

Will never see this bottle in the store but lucky to be able to enjoy it at a local restaurant priced the way it should be. 

• I like it 6

Enjoying this 14 yr KCSiB PS. I wasn't the biggest fan of this particular barrel at first.  But now down towards the last third of the bottle and the dominating char flavor has finally blossomed and I'm enjoying the improved balance finally. I have one more bottle of this barrel and whenever I open that one I think I'll let it sit for awhile and get some air time in the bottle before drinking it down.

Edited by Kepler
of not if
  • I like it 3

45 minutes ago, El Vino said:

Can’t keep my hands off this one.  Pure bourbon goodness.

1379478E-61B6-4552-B0AC-119F284C9E57.jpeg

Sometimes Blantons can be a bit boring, but man when you get a good barrel it's a thing of beauty.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 6

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.