What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Winter 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

11 hours ago, parksmart said:

Met up yesterday with @fosmith for some pours of the following:

1983 OF 86 proof dusty

OWA107 (latest gen bottle)
Stagg Jr (Batch 12)
McKenzie BiB Wheated
MM RC6
BT (Bitters & Bottles store pick)

KC (Ledgers store pick)
2007 FourSquare cask strength rum

Fun times, to say the least!

What did you guys think of the 2007 4SQ?

1 hour ago, Bbstout said:

I think it's fantastic.  Big, rich and full of flavor.  I've not done a SBS but I think it's a bit less sweet than the '04

7 hours ago, Bbstout said:

Very tasty.  I don’t normally drink rum, but this is an example that makes me understand why rum has increased noticeably in popularity.  

1792 FP with two ice cubes bringing the 125 proof to about 105 proof.  I am sorry I've been ignoring 1792.  We don't get VOB 100 here often, and even though I find the 1792 drier (i.e., less sweet) than the VOB, it is a wonderful sipper when watching pablum TV.

• I like it 1

Met up with a buddy who has been very generous with accessing his extensive collection.  We had the following during lunch:

KC Rye

VWSR 12 year Lot B

Afterwards, we just copped a squat in the parking lot and had some more pours.  It felt good to be able to repay him somewhat with some ? juice (aka Old Fitzgerald BIB 6 year Stitzel-Weller barreled in 1950), while he brought some ORVW...... ?

FA25A2B1-E21B-449D-9C4B-8CC2D66B77FA.jpeg

Edited by parksmart
Tupo
  • I like it 9

Enjoying a pour of 1792 FP PS. Has intense flavor, along with intense alcohol. Buttery. It is good, but must be enjoyed in small sips. 

Cheers

• I like it 2

A little impromptu gathering last night to celebrate Robbie Burns and some good fortune for smokinjoe. We had a couple of whiskeys too.
IMG_2444.jpg

• I like it 11

Been meaning to do a SBS of these for a while and decided to do it last night. Had my wife pour for a semi-blind SBS. First one ended up being the ORVW. Richer nose of red fruit and oak and a little cinnamon. More of the same on the palate with a little tobacco note at the start of the finish with oak and baking spices.
The OWA has more ethanol on the nose with tart cherries and cinnamon as well. On the palate more of the same but the proof shows a little more than the ORVW. The finish shows almost no oak with more cinnamon redhots and tart cherries.
Definitely can see the similarities but ORVW is richer and more complex and can tell has more age with more oak presence. Can’t believe the new MSRP of OWA, which thankfully hasn’t hit in my county yet, is only $10 less than ORVW.
Adjustments.jpg

• I like it 4

18EADB77-AFA4-46BC-9E96-2BC3BFF584F1.jpeg.997e5f86ca0a61592babb7988bdeed25.jpeg

Flying home from phoenix today.  Had some Woodford on my flight now in the Delta lounge in DTW having a bit of Old Forester.  I must say that this makes my 3 hour layover a bit more tolerable

Edited by StarSurfer55
Typos
  • I like it 2

Forget where I read the description but it was something like “gooey butter cake” and I have to say I agree. 

First impressions are pretty favorable. I don’t think I will take every release like ECBP, but I can see myself picking 1-2 up every year. 

3047C47F-45FF-4C83-9672-7A19379A7E24.jpeg

• I like it 4

I’ll be looking for more 6th floor warehouse F picks after tasting this one. It’s outstanding. 

EEA8C647-891E-403F-8141-EEB660B27B2A.jpeg

• I like it 4

56 minutes ago, CUfan99 said:

I’ll be looking for more 6th floor warehouse F picks after tasting this one. It’s outstanding. 

Is all that on the standard label now.  My picks have the little tag, but I really like how that info is on the bottle

4 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Forget where I read the description but it was something like “gooey butter cake” and I have to say I agree. 

You Chicagoans know about gooey butter cake???

:P

Popped and poured. At cask strength needs some airtime before I really form an opinion. But first impression very favorable. 0C19BE24-2E66-403A-94A4-C2C20DE862D8.thumb.jpeg.7474895e8ce1ad890ff59b28d2635d20.jpeg

• I like it 4

Wild Turkey night. WB Saffell and various RR single barrel store picks. They are all fantastic tasting, but none of the RR can hang with the finish on that Saffell.

• I like it 2

My progression tonight: WT101 to WTRB 116.8 to RRSIB. Every pour has it's merits. You can't go wrong with any pour.  

Hail to The House of Russell. 

Cheers. 

• I like it 8

A very pleasant surprise.  Was expecting harsh or acetone notes for only 19 months in the barrel, but found a gem.  New leather and sweet nose with a hint of smoke.  Same leather taste and dry with touch of lemon zest.  Unique but very pleasant medium finish.  Vatted a small amount with WSR - WOW! Will be doing more of that.

0111201723a.jpg

7 hours ago, 0895 said:

You Chicagoans know about gooey butter cake???

:P

Maybe not, but we Bostonians do (maybe) - isn't that a St. Louis specialty?  I seem to remember (in my very distant past) having a long lay-over in STL flying TWA.  One of my swimming official buddies asked me to find some "gooey butter cake" and bring some to the meet.  That stuff was really "finger-lickin' GOOD!" but messy.  Totally worth it, tho'.  Heading to Mizzou next year for the SEC Swimming Championships and need to fly thru STL, methinks.     ?

• I like it 1

I grew up in Central IL, and Gooey Butter Cake was a staple.  Mom and sister still make it for holidays.  Recipe available if you want...

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.