What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Winter 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

18 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

Is all that on the standard label now.  My picks have the little tag, but I really like how that info is on the bottle

That label is on all the store picks now, but I don’t think it is on the shelfie RRSiB’s. Although I can’t say that I’ve paid much attention. I wish they would. 

• I like it 1

Opened W.B. Saffell which is very different from WT101 and RR. So far it seems like a cross between WTKS and Decades. IMG_20200126_151612.jpg

• I like it 6

image.thumb.jpg.a64e4476c31e8f2b585d73ab684ba052.jpg
My friend brought me this and I must say this is a delicious pour! Carmel/vanilla on the front end with a nice spicy finish. I’ll be going back for more....

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, marshall9779 said:

Last night. Trying to finish this one before popping a new PS.

Go ahead and pop another ps BT marshall. You could do a sbs with the one you already have open. I’ve got two ps BT’s open now, and might pop a third  in the near future. ^_^

BTW, I see your MM Ambassador gift on the MM 46 bottle in the background. ?  When does your barrel come of age? 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

I'm easily influenced some days as to what I'm going to pour. Today, Mrs. Vosgar and I stopped at a fast food joint on our way home from Omaha. Our order number was 101, and I immediately thought of WT. So.......we got home tonight and that's what's in my glass. And tasting damn good I might add :) 

Shameless plug - When traveling on I-80 in Iowa, make a point to stop into the Zombie Burger & Shakes in Coralville (Iowa City) or Des Moines. Mrs. Vosgar claims they have the best milkshakes she's ever had. The Zombie burger is excellent as well. If they're open when we're traveling to or from Omaha (grandkids), we HAVE to stop there. I believe it's become an unwritten law created by my wife :D

Edited by Vosgar
  • I like it 4

10 hours ago, PowderKeg said:

Enjoying some slightly dusty 1792RR 8yr.  Got 3 more handles & a 750 still in reserve.

Resizer_15800636896020.jpg

I love and miss the told Ridgemont burlap version.  I have one 8 year handle and I think 2 of the 750's in the bunker, however I think one of the 750's is NAS which was the last expression before they switched to current 1792 bottlings.  

The burlap neck wrap also served dual purpose because it automatically soaked up the drops from pouring.  No mess!  Also I never have been a huge fan of the art deco styling of the current 1792 with the shiny gold perfume bottle cork top. 

• I like it 5

Go ahead and pop another ps BT marshall. You could do a sbs with the one you already have open. I’ve got two ps BT’s open now, and might pop a third  in the near future. [emoji5]

BTW, I see your MM Ambassador gift on the MM 46 bottle in the background. [emoji106]  When does your barrel come of age? 

Biba! Joe

Yeah I was just thinking last night that I’ll do a SBS next time I decide to pour some.

Not till Oct ‘25. - Apr ‘27

On 1/26/2020 at 6:25 AM, GeeTen said:

Maybe not, but we Bostonians do (maybe) - isn't that a St. Louis specialty?  I seem to remember (in my very distant past) having a long lay-over in STL flying TWA.  One of my swimming official buddies asked me to find some "gooey butter cake" and bring some to the meet.  That stuff was really "finger-lickin' GOOD!" but messy.  Totally worth it, tho'.  Heading to Mizzou next year for the SEC Swimming Championships and need to fly thru STL, methinks.     ?

Or you could always fly into STL and drive to Columbia. I would happily trade a gooey butter cake for some cannolis from Mike's pastry.

• I like it 1

21 hours ago, Moose3218 said:

image.thumb.jpg.a64e4476c31e8f2b585d73ab684ba052.jpg
My friend brought me this and I must say this is a delicious pour! Carmel/vanilla on the front end with a nice spicy finish. I’ll be going back for more....

Good stuff, but I would generally recommend the 100 proof OF Signature.  I find the 10 extra proof points and roughly 50% discount from the single barrel to be the driving force on that decision.  

All that said, I may go pick up one more of these as this extension is going bye bye in May.   Very much looking forward to the new OF single barrel program where the buyer will get to choose between 100 proof or barrel proof! 

Barrel Proof OF . . . be still my heart.  And yes, I know OF is doing a Barrel Proof release for its 150th anniversary, but I have it on fairly reliable terms that that one is expected to be a distillery only release. Sigh.  

15 hours ago, Kepler said:

Had some Barrell batch #17 tonight.  That stuff was absolutely delicious.  

I completely agree.  After I tasted my first bottle of this, I quickly picked up a couple of extras for the bunker.  (Not something I often do with bourbon at this price point.)  I also bought one of these as a birthday gift for my son-in-law.  He was similarly impressed.  Really delicious whiskey.

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, Kepler said:

I love and miss the told Ridgemont burlap version.  I have one 8 year handle and I think 2 of the 750's in the bunker, however I think one of the 750's is NAS which was the last expression before they switched to current 1792 bottlings.  

The burlap neck wrap also served dual purpose because it automatically soaked up the drops from pouring.  No mess!  Also I never have been a huge fan of the art deco styling of the current 1792 with the shiny gold perfume bottle cork top. 

Is this better than the current small batch?  My understanding was it was just the bottle changed from being too similar to Woodford Reserve?

back at itoday after a short weekend due to business travel. Having a bit of WellerSR to ease my pain. This one is almost empty and I cannot find it in Michigan. 

Small pour of Murray Hill Club. This seems to be evaporating quickly. I should speak with our resident whisky blender about that.

• I like it 1

came across a source for dusty minis today. this one distilled in bardstown, who knows where tho. its not great.

20200127_184343.jpg

1 hour ago, StarSurfer55 said:

back at itoday after a short weekend due to business travel. Having a bit of WellerSR to ease my pain. This one is almost empty and I cannot find it in Michigan. 

Wellers are pretty rare in Kalamazoo anymore, at least where I go.

3 hours ago, DEH1212 said:

Is this better than the current small batch?  My understanding was it was just the bottle changed from being too similar to Woodford Reserve?

I think so.  It's been a few years since I've resorted to SmB - have a PS and a reg run still sitting unopened for a few+ years - but I can't believe that pulling barrels for BiB, FP, SiB, & PF hasn't had a neg affect on SmB batches so far. 

Maybe, IF they ramped up production of the 1792 mashbill in anticipation of the numerous planned new variations, AND that production has reached a quality level/age to put into the SmB batch, MAYBE SmB will return to it's former quality level. 

The last time I had SmB after the re-brand I was not impresssed - thin, watery, weak/non-existent finish - def NOT the same as the slightly dusty 8yrRR I"ve been enjoying lately, and what re-introduced me to bourbon as an enjoyable sippin' likker, after long-ago college yrs of cheapest-pound-it-down hope-it-stays-down "study" sessions....

The WR fiasco involved the earliest/first release called 1792 RidgeWOOD Reserve.  Barton was forced to re-brand to 1792 RidgeMONT Reserve.  The 1792 refers to KY's year of statehood.  AFAIK, both the first contested release and the bulk of the re-brand was 8yr AS.  For a short time before the second re-brand to just 1792 SmB (and future variants) they dropped the AS.

Edited by PowderKeg

22 hours ago, mal00768 said:

Small pour of Murray Hill Club. This seems to be evaporating quickly. I should speak with our resident whisky blender about that.

Hey @mal00768, what batch do you have?

Sorry to sound dense, but what do you mean by evaporating quickly? ?

Edited by WhiskeyBlender

13 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Hey @mal00768, what batch do you have?

Sorry to sound dense, but what do you mean by evaporating quickly? ?

I think he means it's so good that he can't stop drinking it! 

• I like it 3

On 1/27/2020 at 5:27 PM, DEH1212 said:

To the best of my knowledge the current small batch and the NAS Ridgemont is the same liquid.  But the classic Ridgemont was 8 years old and better.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.