What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Winter 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Some 15 year old KC SiB while watching my U of L Cardinals women's basketball team whoop up on the Fighting Irish.

Just pulled the OESO off the bar so I can bring the remains to Btown. As per the rules, this was opened and poured. 

20200131_160450.jpg

• I like it 5

Went into this bottle with tempered expectations, and coming out blown away.  This whiskey is beyond fantastic, and solidly in my wheelhouse.  First, the color is outrageously dark, and it pours thick and juicy.  On sipping, the interplay and give-and-take of the age and oak influence with the candy sweetness of the wheat, is just gorgeous.  Perfectly in time rhythm as they each take their turn to step forward to shine.  The nose is nice, but in no way prepared me for the oak and candy train that flows over my palate.  Even the finish carries this through.  As I think more of this, it’s as if this whiskey took the best of the caramelly burnt sugar notes of the barrels along with the best of the chewy oaky notes of it with each season, and the result is damn near perfection.  Must have been a pretty good Master Distiller who laid this one down back in 2004.  ? Call me Wowed.  

92987F9E-ACD1-4CB2-9F30-291656A25667.jpeg

• I like it 13

I’ll have what @smokinjoe is having just 11 years younger. Mine is a bit rough and grain forward. But at less than $20 out the door I intend  it to replace the Old Fitz BIB as a cocktail workhorse. Think it will do well  in that capacity. 0E75C323-3900-47FB-A22D-46A856DAE558.thumb.jpeg.4ab92158e93a4604c7b48f103d08434e.jpeg

• I like it 1

Had a bit of larceny earlier today. switching to rum as I am ready to. Head for the islands for the weekend brisket goes on the grill tonight for an overnight cook. We are going to have brisket tomorrow while watching ford vs Ferrari. 

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Went into this bottle with tempered expectations, and coming out blown away.  This whiskey is beyond fantastic, and solidly in my wheelhouse.  First, the color is outrageously dark, and it pours thick and juicy.  On sipping, the interplay and give-and-take of the age and oak influence with the candy sweetness of the wheat, is just gorgeous.  Perfectly in time rhythm as they each take their turn to step forward to shine.  The nose is nice, but in no way prepared me for the oak and candy train that flows over my palate.  Even the finish carries this through.  As I think more of this, it’s as if this whiskey took the best of the caramelly burnt sugar notes of the barrels along with the best of the chewy oaky notes of it with each season, and the result is damn near perfection.  Must have been a pretty good Master Distiller who laid this one down back in 2004.  ? Call me Wowed.  

@smokinjoe, seeing your post made me want to pull my bottle of Old Fitz 15 yr out and have a little out on the deck, since it almost hit 70 degrees today. 

I couldn't agree more with you about the "candy train" on the palate. Now that my bottle has been opened for a few weeks and has a little oxidation on it, I'm also getting some aromatic pipe tobacco with Port notes, in addition to the caramel/burnt sugar notes, a just a touch of barrel spice, with some nougat. Since I'm not usually a wheat fan, I continue to be surprised and amazed at how much I'm loving this bottle. 

Here's to you good Sir, and may you enjoy your pour or two (or three) of the OF 15 this evening! 

Cheers,

Nancy

IMG_3575.jpg

• I like it 4

10 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

What a night! 

3x SBS of Weller Full Proof store picks. 

The Blaum is a Founder’s Stash 12 year 120pf. This is bottle 34/34 from the barrel. Dark in color, deep and rich MGP nose and loads of layers on the palate.  Truly Magnificent, and I saved half my pour for the end.  

Then had pours of ‘18 EH4G, a Blaum 11 year pick, some Turkey 101 8yr, ‘16 OFBB, Litchfield Distillery (more cask strength MGP), WP 10 year Rye, a very good W107 pick, the 13 yr Dickel BiB. Maybe a few more. The Dickel was the only real dud, very VL. The minerality just doesn’t do it for me. 

I brought Larceny BP, ECBP C919, a non store pick WFP, and the final sips from a honey JD Barrel, but I didn’t drink those since they were all my bottles. We also had 6 or so ER picks that we never even got to. Can’t go back down the Proof ladder!

Finished with the Blaum. Other great pours were offered (AY50, WLW, PVW15) but at this point my palate was pretty shot and I was not sober enough to truly appreciate them. 

TGIF my head is fuzzy.  

C87CBF49-1FCD-406F-AF93-5BDB85168C4F.jpeg

591244D2-B03E-4C5F-958C-B1F5263E059F.jpeg

Madness. You celebrating Brexit? Sounds like a fantastic night. The color on that Blaum...

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

@smokinjoe, seeing your post made me want to pull my bottle of Old Fitz 15 yr out and have a little out on the deck, since it almost hit 70 degrees today. 

I couldn't agree more with you about the "candy train" on the palate. Now that my bottle has been opened for a few weeks and has a little oxidation on it, I'm also getting some aromatic pipe tobacco with Port notes, in addition to the caramel/burnt sugar notes, a just a touch of barrel spice, with some nougat. Since I'm not usually a wheat fan, I continue to be surprised and amazed at how much I'm loving this bottle. 

Here's to you good Sir, and may you enjoy your pour or two (or three) of the OF 15 this evening! 

Cheers,

Nancy

IMG_3575.jpg

And, wishing you even more enjoyment on your pours this evening, ma’am!  Looks like a beautiful set up your way.  My “exceeds expectations” experiences on low budget bottles are always gratifying.  But, to get the same gratifying experience on a bottle at the price of this bottle...is priceless.  ?

• I like it 1

Clearly I need to have a pour of this year's OF BiB... 

I don't remember being blown away by the first release. But every batch is different!

Started off with a heavy pour of WT101, onto RRSIB now.  Close call. The NCF makes the difference.  

Cheers 

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Clearly I need to have a pour of this year's OF BiB... 

I don't remember being blown away by the first release. But every batch is different!

Word to the wise, your take on the first of these decanters in about right; but this one (15-yr.) is several steps up and is (maybe) worth the cheddar.    It really is all that Smokinjoe said, and maybe even a little more.

That first one wasn't as good as the old VOFitz 12-yr. from 10-years ago and back.

• I like it 2

FRSB then Stagg Jr. Batch 12 last night. I am coming to the conclusion that Stagg Jr. doesn't do it for me. I have tried proofing it down and it never reaches a point of balance for my palate, yet it smells fantastic to me and I love GTS.

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Started off with a heavy pour of WT101, onto RRSIB now.  Close call. The NCF makes the difference.  

Cheers 

This ^^^.  But since RRSiB is 3x the price, I rarely buy it...

18 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I was reading your post without a view of the bottle thinking “please be Rebel Yell 100, please”. But it was something expensive and hard to find of course lol.  Cheers to ya!

18 hours ago, Old Dusty said:

I’ll have what @smokinjoe is having just 11 years younger. Mine is a bit rough and grain forward. But at less than $20 out the door I intend  it to replace the Old Fitz BIB as a cocktail workhorse. Think it will do well  in that capacity. 0E75C323-3900-47FB-A22D-46A856DAE558.thumb.jpeg.4ab92158e93a4604c7b48f103d08434e.jpeg

It was funny seeing this post follow joe’s. :o

Edited by CUfan99

Coincidence of opening and posting. Thought it was timely since both are HH wheated distillate. I’m very glad to read Joe’s (and Nancy’s) opinions on the OF15, as I have one unopened.  reply to @CUfan99 

Edited by Old Dusty
  • I like it 1

Starting off with Maker’s Mark Cask Strength while rewatching Season One of Narcos Mexico before the new season comes out next week. 

01D1F985-8CEB-47BA-852E-9F57AB43C560.jpeg

I known it's not bourbon. I'm really not sure wth it is! It's actually not terrible for $7.50 for a liter.  I just hope I don't go blind.

20200201_185144-784x1613.jpg

• I like it 2

Convinced to get out of the recliner to go to a pre-super bowl get together and this showed up.  Since I emptied my last bottle of it a couple weeks ago, I am going to reminisce with a drink of someone else’s tonight. 

B4C5B67F-3A64-4C22-81A6-EDFEE29A0F68.jpeg

• I like it 3

41 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I known it's not bourbon. I'm really not sure wth it is! It's actually not terrible for $7.50 for a liter.  I just hope I don't go blind.

20200201_185144-784x1613.jpg

Often times when I'm out at a bar or small music venue the only options are things like Maker's, Bulliet, Woodford and other things I don't really love, so I often ask whats in the well as it's often bottom shelf HH or maybe even Turkey if I'm lucky.  Once the bartender told me it was Barton and I stupidly thought it was one of the bourbon's since the 86 proof and BIB used to be around on the shelves in NY.  Bartender came back with a very light colored pour and I was immediately concerned after taking a sip and getting that undeniable note of NGS I asked to see the bottle and that was the day I became aware of this product, I reluctantly shot back the pour and opted for beer going forward. 

Tasting table for supper club tonight. 

2D7DE5E0-D389-47D0-B348-15CE890A2B6D.thumb.jpeg.7cd17875f926b9c5cd7eca2fd59ffc92.jpeg

Fast Eddie

“No Ice, No Glass.”

Very cool. I have a sister barrel, believe same floor of CNF, similar barrel date just pulled a couple months before this. It’s excellent.
  • I like it 1

20200201_185144-784x1613.thumb.jpg.1997b8b52db6aad0e7f1716cff8bd9f7.jpg

Ha, hope it’s not as bad as hobo deluxe, also known as Kentucky Gentleman.
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.