What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Winter 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Curiosity got me. Cracked and tried last night after picking up yesterday. Thought it was pretty good. Not blown away but a solid pour. Hopefully their batches will get better as they go.
IMG_4171.jpg

• I like it 1

On 2/1/2020 at 4:46 PM, Mako254 said:

Tasting table for supper club tonight. 

2D7DE5E0-D389-47D0-B348-15CE890A2B6D.jpeg

One of my friends locally (MN)also has that fast Eddie pick.  We are doing a RR tasting in a few weeks and it’s in the lineup.

3 hours ago, marshall9779 said:

Curiosity got me. Cracked and tried last night after picking up yesterday. Thought it was pretty good. Not blown away but a solid pour. Hopefully their batches will get better as they go.
IMG_4171.jpg

The front end & back end of this pour couldn’t be anymore contrasting to me.  Very long tannic finish.  I don’t hate it though. 

It’ll be interesting to see how these batches will change in this line. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Kane said:

Impressive that you have a cd drive.

What are you gonna do when they switch off the cloud?...

• I like it 2

38 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

^ He’s right you know...

• I like it 1

Kinda feel like the Southpark cartoon tonight. 

going to hav a bourbon or six. It’s called a tasting and it’s classy!

really having a bit of larceny tonight. One drink is my limit on week nights. 

Ripping all my CDs to the computer.  
IMG_4105.thumb.jpg.0df940c8059e65d01185dfeb7b535aff.jpg

Nice can’t go wrong with some music from the man who’s recordings are arguably the foundation of most modern music.
  • I like it 3

639390FB-D2B2-44A8-A1B0-989FE096C6C4.thumb.jpeg.1cb0bae9afad2dbdbced17ef6c587ac3.jpeg

People knocked this for not tasting like the MGP SB from Belle and SA but I really liked this. Different profile but one I enjoyed.

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, The Black Tot said:

He gonna shake his fist at it, of course!  ?

• I like it 3

4 hours ago, scratchline said:

Ripping all my CDs to the computer.  

2 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

25 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

He gonna shake his fist at it, of course!  ?

I have all my music on my computer and my iPad. And a couple of 2TB backup drives. ^_^

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

27 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I have all my music on my computer and my iPad. And a couple of 2TB backup drives. ^_^

My vinyl collection ain't goin' no place. And I'm up to 40TB of movies and music.

CD and DVD quality are my minimum.

The other night, I told my mom she should see the Fred Rogers doc Won't You Be My Neighbor. She went on Canadian Netflix - it isn't available. Nor on her cable company's streaming service. It's available on US and UK Netflix.

That is the cloud - it's great until someone switches off the content you want because of some behind-the-scenes rights or regional argument. Or someone decides that the old movie you like is now too violent or promotes the wrong values. Anyone streamed Song Of The South recently? Whether you'd want to is another idea, but still.

Let's remember that Looney Tunes was censored for themes and violence, within our lifetimes, in America. There was a time when you had to buy those cartoons on laserdisc in order to see the original cuts. For all I know you may still have to buy the physical DVD or Blu-Ray media to see that.

I remember years ago I sat down with someone and tried to find a classic art film on Netflix streaming. After it wasn't available, I then went through a full 20 titles - all of which would be well-known to film buffs - and exactly NONE of them were available. I ended up throwing the remote down on the couch in disgust.

Message received - build my own archive, or live with art governed by the lowest common denominator. Things change, and censorship happens.

The irony is that Netflix's disc-in-the-mail service used to be the best way EVER to get the truly most obscure titles in history. They went from being where you got the reachy content, to the company that restricted the supply.

So yeah, I yell at clouds all the time.

Edited by The Black Tot
  • I like it 4

This was from Sunday! I decided to bust open my bday bourbon for my daughter’s first bday which just happened to be on Super Bowl. We had a party at 1:00pm and another at 6:30pm. I needed it at that point and everyone had a taste and it was thoroughly enjoyed!

7FE2DC5C-F0E1-44B0-8BF6-85F74E6B3BD0.jpeg

• I like it 3

2 minutes ago, Adam777 said:

This was from Sunday! I decided to bust open my bday bourbon for my daughter’s first bday which just happened to be on Super Bowl. We had a party at 1:00pm and another at 6:30pm. I needed it at that point and everyone had a taste and it was thoroughly enjoyed!

7FE2DC5C-F0E1-44B0-8BF6-85F74E6B3BD0.jpeg

I hate to be the one to have to tell you this, but you don't have a daughter - what you have there is a cat.

• I like it 6

12 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

I hate to be the one to have to tell you this, but you don't have a daughter - what you have there is a cat.

I almost spit my bourbon out ?. That darn cat! Fur babies don’t count for a pour of the good stuff?!

• I like it 3

My vinyl collection ain't goin' no place. And I'm up to 40TB of movies and music.

CD and DVD quality are my minimum.

The other night, I told my mom she should see the Fred Rogers doc Won't You Be My Neighbor. She went on Canadian Netflix - it isn't available. Nor on her cable company's streaming service. It's available on US and UK Netflix.

That is the cloud - it's great until someone switches off the content you want because of some behind-the-scenes rights or regional argument. Or someone decides that the old movie you like is now too violent or promotes the wrong values. Anyone streamed Song Of The South recently? Whether you'd want to is another idea, but still.

Let's remember that Looney Tunes was censored for themes and violence, within our lifetimes, in America. There was a time when you had to buy those cartoons on laserdisc in order to see the original cuts. For all I know you may still have to buy the physical DVD or Blu-Ray media to see that.

I remember years ago I sat down with someone and tried to find a classic art film on Netflix streaming. After it wasn't available, I then went through a full 20 titles - all of which would be well-known to film buffs - and exactly NONE of them were available. I ended up throwing the remote down on the couch in disgust.

Message received - build my own archive, or live with art governed by the lowest common denominator. Things change, and censorship happens.

The irony is that Netflix's disc-in-the-mail service used to be the best way EVER to get the truly most obscure titles in history. They went from being where you got the reachy content, to the company that restricted the supply.

So yeah, I yell at clouds all the time.

Ha I agree Netflix’s old disc in the mail was a great source for obscure films. Watched a lot of obscure silent films this way. I believe if you want it’s still available in the states. Maybe I’m not trying to find as obscure films but I’ve had luck with Amazon for paid streaming.
  • I like it 1

6 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Ha I agree Netflix’s old disc in the mail was a great source for obscure films. Watched a lot of obscure silent films this way. I believe if you want it’s still available in the states. Maybe I’m not trying to find as obscure films but I’ve had luck with Amazon for paid streaming.

Maybe I'll demonstrate when I'm at a friend's house later this week who has Netflix. I'll find a list of 10 famous movie geek films that aren't on streaming Netflix. It will be pretty easy. The kind of stuff that used to be in the Classics section at Blockbuster.

The disc service IS still available in the US and if I lived there, I'd have it.

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

All of my CD's are ripped to my Synology Network Attached Storage hard drive with backup and my Bluesound Node 2i pulls from that so I can stream all my CDs from the comfort of my couch. I rip at 16 and 24 bit. No mp3's in this house any more. I still by CD's to this day. Some will call me old school. I call me owner of all my music.

• I like it 4

6 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

I don't disagree with that sentiment. I also have n copies of the non-expendable stuff where n > 2 and I control all. They're not necessarily on physical media I manage though. Streaming services I don't trust or use. Netflix/Spotify are pure crap for my tastes, and often I don't have a legal path to purchase what I want in the Western world, so I have to sail the high seas instead. But cloud storage is objectively more reliable and resilient than managing my own backups.

And regardless, having a CD drive lying around is still impressive!

And more importantly a friend offered me some Jim Beam Black earlier and I had three.

• I like it 1

Last night was some of my last 3 bottles of HH BIB 6 yr., followed by a KC SiB PS from Kroger Wine & Spirits.  Enjoy them while munching on some dark chocolate covered dried cranberries.

On 2/4/2020 at 7:09 PM, The Black Tot said:

I'm cloudless.  My wife, who's the tech support in our home, takes care of all that.  I just push the buttons that I'm told to push and go from CD to CD.  As my brother quoted when I told him how my time was spent, "Mongo only pawn in game of life."  True, Mongo, true.

-Mike

• I like it 6

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.